• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER train formations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
What formations are the 91 sets in like X number of first class a buffet and X number of 2nd calss etc, its jstu i have a 91 modela dn want to make up a complete train to annoy people where very i got as it will be so long!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
91+9xMK4+DVT, not sure about location of first class & buffet, but someone will.

Jordy

First class is at the London end (by the DVT). There are 3 first class MK4 coaches at the London end. Then there is the buffet car (buffet section is closer to first class). In the buffet car there are some standard seats. Then there are 5 more standard coaches and then the 91 locomotive.

Established Member
Thanks Lads! Very helpful, i only need to get two more first class and 2 more 2nd class. Thanks again

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's still quite a fair bit of cash to spend on it then! I assume you'll put the correct letters on each carriage when you get them then? IIRC you can get the carriages no problems, just they're all lettered 'D' or something for the SC carriages, so to get the proper look you'd need to re-letter some of the carriages. Just a thought.

Established Member
Well there actaully in intercity livery, im gunna possilbe renumber te coaches but i dunno know, it going to be of some lenght once finished, i have 5 coaches atm.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It does depend on when you are modeling though. Before the Mallard refurbishment, their were 2 first class coaches, and the buffet was the other way around, with the bar at the standard class end, and contained first class seating. Most sets had 8 coaches back then. I think the 9 coach sets were used on "pullman" services (Flying Scotsman etc) and had an extra first class coach (3 full and the buffet coach). That goes right back to their introduction.

theblackwatch

Established Member
ChrisCooper said:
It does depend on when you are modeling though. Before the Mallard refurbishment, their were 2 first class coaches, and the buffet was the other way around, with the bar at the standard class end, and contained first class seating. Most sets had 8 coaches back then. I think the 9 coach sets were used on "pullman" services (Flying Scotsman etc) and had an extra first class coach (3 full and the buffet coach). That goes right back to their introduction.

You're almost right Chris - all sets were 9 coaches (+DVT), the difference being 'Pullman' sets had 3xFirst Class, 1x Catering Car and 5xStandard, whereas the normal rakes had 2xFirst Class, 1x Catering Car and 6xStandard. Going back to when the sets were first introduced in the late 80s/early 90s, a couple of Pullman rakes were also formed with two Catering Cars, but I can't remember the exact formations.

Status
Not open for further replies.