• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

GNER must a hell of a lot more reliable than virgin. Ive seen two skips pull GNER sets but that was because there was diversions. Think of pendodildoes there always getting dragged by 57/3's. :o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AJP said:
GNER must a hell of a lot more reliable than virgin. Ive seen two skips pull GNER sets but that was because there was diversions. Think of pendodildoes there always getting dragged by 57/3's. :o
Yes, the last stats I saw had 91s as very reliable indeed. I've never been on a 91 nor GNER HST that's failed, and I travel a lot. GNER do look after their trains.

As for Pendo drags, there's a lot at weekends at the moment due to engineering works, could it be that? It may not be for a Pendo failure.

Unfortunately there are regular problems with coupling Pendos to 57s and the Holyhead-London trains have been badly delayed on many occasions as a result.

AJP

When I went to Crewe I took a bit of a de tour and via warrington and the pendo I was booked on failed at Preston :roll:

andrewmay

I think the Pendo drags you've seen may be because of engineering works but even so, GNER have much more reliable trains although the Pendo's are still suffering from tething problems. It will be interesting to see if the reliability increases futher on in the Pendo's life.

The Pendo's are dragged through the West Midlands every wekend and must couple to a 57 many times a day and I haven't noticed many problems so why is it such a problem on the North Wales Coast?

Cheers,
Andrew

tramboy

GNER are excellent in my opinion! Although, and a member of staff at Newark Northgate agrees with me on this, the Mallard refurbs do need their vestibule end seats back!

There have been a few odd workings I've seen recently though...there was a 91 at the London end of a train (with the DVT at the country end) running over the viaduct s/b here not long ago...odd! Plus, not so odd but fairly uncommon, a 91 ran through Donny slab end first coupled to the DVT on an empty stock move on Saturday. Makes the DVT a little pointless in that situation but never mind!

91s are dead reliable normally...it's just the infrastructure that lets them down (they sometimes drag OHLE down for a bit!). GNERs HST set are maintained well...never too much exhaust on most of them, and once the mk3s get a mallard style refurb they will be a joy to travel on.

Cheers

Dave

Craig

Established Member
tramboy said:
there was a 91 at the London end of a train (with the DVT at the country end) running over the viaduct s/b here not long ago...odd! Plus, not so odd but fairly uncommon, a 91 ran through Donny slab end first coupled to the DVT on an empty stock move on Saturday. Makes the DVT a little pointless in that situation but never mind!
Both probably down to the DVT cab being failed (AWS fault or something). It's not uncommon for sets to be turned at somewhere like Newcastle and continuing in reverse formation rather than the service being cancelled.

The 91s are alot more reliable since they had the modifications, although Ive seen a few die over the last couple of months, One at shipley where they had to fetch the thunderbird out cos it was well and truely ballsed up.
The HST sets are a mess and its a regular occurence you will see them running on one power car! 1S03 7.10 LDS - ABD Often requires a power car change at Edinburgh. Yorkie you must have been lucky that you never been on a HST set thats failed. Usually the Early morning Skipton and Harrogate get cancelled due to HST Problems and its not a rare occurance to Have a MML HST on a GNER set or vicea versa.

Now as for the 373s they are failing all the time. Just not built for the service GNER operates on them

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AlexS said:
Class 91s were as bad as Pendolinos before the GNER refurbs.
I doubt that. Got any figures?

Also, many of the problems with Pendolinos are not 'loco' related, e.g. non-functioning toilets, etc, and they don't necessarily affect the reliability figures.

And the mallards suffer with the same problem as the pendos, Toilets not functioning properly, The smell from the tanks can be quiet vile too.

The class 91 achieved a ‘moving average’ number of miles between breakdowns of 52,723 in April 2005 – more than five times higher than the same month in 2002, when the figure stood at 9,810 miles between breakdowns.

Guinness

Established Member
AlexS said:
Class 91s were as bad as Pendolinos before the GNER refurbs.

When 91s were first introduced BR had to use other stock to cover for them as they were quite unreliable.

When Pendolinos were first introduced VT had to use other stock to cover for them as they were quite unreliable.

Not must difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.