• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER's Brilliant Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

GNER.co.uk has been brilliantly improved, as planned, yesterday.

It's what i've been waiting for- A completely useable ticket booking system, which makes looking for Value Advance Singles very easy, amongst the fully flexible tickets.

Just try it for yourself!

It's just a shame that GNER haven't yet upgraded their Leeds First Class lounge, which was disgusting when I used it for the very first time a few weeks ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
What's the point? They're gonna be gone soon anyway.
I'd use my last couple of weeks to **** everyone off and make things as difficult as possible for people!

Although, that's certainly what the guards have been doing recently ¬_¬

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm thinking, since GNER has just launched this new website, could it be that this will actually form the new National Express website, but just with a different colour scheme and all mentions of GNER removed? Otherwise I really don't see the point :confused:

me123

Established Member
That's what I'm thinking. 'tis a fantasamoregical website, but 'tis also a wee bitty too late. Probably going to switch to NXEC with only a few simple changes.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's just a shame that GNER haven't yet upgraded their Leeds First Class lounge, which was disgusting when I used it for the very first time a few weeks ago.
Unlike you to be on a full-price FC ticket! ;)

GNER don't normally allow cheap ticket holders into their FC lounges, maybe they made an exception as Leeds is in a bad state!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Unlike you to be on a full-price FC ticket! ;)

GNER don't normally allow cheap ticket holders into their FC lounges, maybe they made an exception as Leeds is in a bad state!

Like I say, I'm not exactly going to publicly say that "I only travel First Class [when/because] it's cheap"

It's always nice to find a bargain once in a while, but I'm not unfamiliar with on the day First Class ticketing arrangements.

Edit: I've never used any other GNER FC lounges, simply because I generally do my travelling with Virgin West Coast/ What's left of Cross Country. The image GNER gives me of their feeling towards their customers, is that they don't really care what their lounges are like, as long as it's open for bussiness, and also make money by charging whenever possible, lots of excess fares, but their again when hasn't FGW been in the press for PF's?

I'd like someone to go in GNER's Leeds FC lounge, use its facilities and then take a short trip over to Manchester Picc, where you could use the VT lounge if you were travelling onwards with a VT ticket..

I'd certainly prefer the VT lounge any day!

And also, VT doesn't mind Virgin Value advance First ticket holders using the VT FC lounges:)

W14Fishbourne

I'm not sure who will own the GNER website after 9 December. Since no TOC website has ever been handed over to the successor franchisee, it will almost certainly be retained by GNER and, if I'm not much mistaken, could be kept going as competition for The Trainline. You don't have to be a TOC to sell tickets – the Trainline is no longer TOC-owned.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
That ticket system has been there for ages....

I know the system which can JUST look for AP singles has been around for ages, but just feel that the New-look website makes it alot nicer to actually look for fares.

Would you not agree that the new look website makes it easier to look for your fare, and compare other available fares if you wanted to make a comparison?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am actually very impressed - it's like Virgin's but even better, and has all sorts of useful new features, such as being able to actually request the quiet coach!

djw1981

Established Member
According to press releases I have seen online but now cannot find.... the GNER website including new ticket engine will be transferred to NatEx and NatEx have had some say in the implementation so it would work for them. This handover has been more cordial and integrated than most! The NatEx/GNER ticket engine will also allow you to choose your individual seat and see the cheapest price - whether 2 singles or a return ticket.

T

Tom

gner.co.uk is being hosted on the National Express web server already

You can tell this by if you go to gner.co.uk (without the www) it comes up with Bad request (incorrect hostname), same with c2c-online.co.uk and onerailway.com, etc

rail-britain

Established Member
The reason you get the same error when removing the www. is due to them all either being configured with apache to reject it, or on a MS Server

gner.co.uk is currently hosted by phase8.net

The existing NatEx websites are hosted by :
nationalexpressgroup.com hosted by gblx.net
c2c-online.co.uk hosted by gblx.net
centraltrains.co.uk hosted by kisshosting.com
onerailway.com hosted by kisshosting.com
silverlink-trains.com hosted by gblx.net
midlandmainline.com hosted by gblx.net

me123

Established Member
According to press releases I have seen online but now cannot find.... the GNER website including new ticket engine will be transferred to NatEx and NatEx have had some say in the implementation so it would work for them. This handover has been more cordial and integrated than most!

Nice to see two companies working well together like this. It's a shame when you get a feudal takeover, which only annoys passengers.

The NatEx/GNER ticket engine will also allow you to choose your individual seat and see the cheapest price - whether 2 singles or a return ticket.

Definately a good feature; and again, very nice to show the cheapest price, not the most profit-centric price.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I am actually very impressed - it's like Virgin's but even better, and has all sorts of useful new features, such as being able to actually request the quiet coach!

That was something which impressed me too - already booked several tickets and got myself sat in coach B each time. (And got myself a free FC ticket on GNER for being one of the first 5000 people to use the new booking system when it first went live at the end of October!)

T

Tom

The reason you get the same error when removing the www. is due to them all either being configured with apache to reject it, or on a MS Server

gner.co.uk is currently hosted by phase8.net

The existing NatEx websites are hosted by :
nationalexpressgroup.com hosted by gblx.net
c2c-online.co.uk hosted by gblx.net
centraltrains.co.uk hosted by kisshosting.com
onerailway.com hosted by kisshosting.com
silverlink-trains.com hosted by gblx.net
midlandmainline.com hosted by gblx.net

Ah - but all Nat Ex TOCs work on the same basis ...

Status
Not open for further replies.