• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Ahead looks into growing its bus business further

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
Its good news if Go Ahead is now using its new cash flow to acquire new companies. One does have to wonder where the company could spend its new found cash. ;)

McGills?

A few months ago Go-Ahead specifically announced that they would not be taking over McGills. This is not to say that they would never reconsider or put in a new offer.....

WELLGLADES owners/directors - some of them are getting on a bit!
I suspect that if the price was right they might.

I have 2020 vision of Go-Ahead taking over Wellglade, or at least Trent Barton, by 2020.

Ipswich Buses – are there already some links?

Trent Barton and East Yorkshire are the plum businesses still privately owned. Cardiff, Newport, Rosso or Blackpool if any are for sale – but they probably aren’t. Or even Transdev’s bus businesses?

Go-Ahead did discuss taking a 49% share in Ipswich Buses ca 2010 but this did not materialise in the end.

I'm sure that Wellglade hope it will be Yourbus !

Robert

Is YourBus for sale? It might be nice for Go-Ahead to take over Trent Barton, and Wellglade to take over YourBus and the rest of CentreBus group!

To summarize others comments,
The 3 plum prizes for Go Ahead would be: -

1. Transdev Lancs & Yorks
2. Trent Barton
3. EYMS

There would be no competition issues with any of these, indeed it is worth remembering that First would not be able to take over Transdev, Stagecoach would not be able to takeover TB or EYMS and Arriva would not be allowed to take over TB.
On your Devon/Cornwall point, much as I would like to see First extinct in this area, I can't see any reason why Stagecoach would want to move into Cornwall.

I think these are the 3 biggest ex-NBC operations not belonging to the big 4 companies. The next biggest independent would be CentreBus. So I have just touted 2 new owners for CentreBus!

I really hope not, Mr Souter would love to finally get his hands on NXWM. He's been knocked back twice now..... I hope it isn't Arriva/D Bahn either.

If it was an English bus group, I personally would like it to be either First Group (once they've sorted their own backyard out) or Go-Ahead Group.

Yes I'd agree that it's going to take First Group min 5 years to get back to where they once were, there may be further unforeseen twists & turns along the way.

Stagecoach would have far more competition issues than Arriva, i.e. Stagecoach Strathtay vs NX Dundee, Stagecoach Warwickshire vs NX Coventry & Megabus vs NX coaches & Eurolines. It would be third time lucky for Brian Souter to get his hands on NXWM, you can't knock him for what he's achieved, I just didn't like the Stagecoach bullying / running operators off the road tactics employed in the early years after deregulation.

Actually, Stagecoach has already tried 3 times to purchase West Midlands Travel or its successor NXWM. First in 1991 when they were not allowed to bid. Secondly in 1995, as when it became public knowledge that NatEx were in discussions to buy out WMT, WMT received rival bids from Stagecoach, Badgerline and British Bus that they simply ignored. Thirdly, in 2009 when NatEx received a takeover bid from Spanish coach group Alsa and CVC, Stagecoach were willing to take over NXWM, NX Dundee and rail franchise c2c. Stagecoach even apparently had buyers for adjacent operations lined up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Asriel

Is YourBus for sale? It might be nice for Go-Ahead to take over Trent Barton, and Wellglade to take over YourBus and the rest of CentreBus group!

Why on earth would Wellglade sell the biggest jewel in their metaphorical crown and purchase a couple of smaller operators instead? In the unlikely event that they do sell up I do however think that Wellglade as a whole would be a good fit for Go-Ahead

Last edited:

winston270twm

Established Member
Actually, Stagecoach has already tried 3 times to purchase West Midlands Travel or its successor NXWM. First in 1991 when they were not allowed to bid. Secondly in 1995, as when it became public knowledge that NatEx were in discussions to buy out WMT, WMT received rival bids from Stagecoach, Badgerline and British Bus that they simply ignored. Thirdly, in 2009 when NatEx received a takeover bid from Spanish coach group Alsa and CVC, Stagecoach were willing to take over NXWM, NX Dundee and rail franchise c2c. Stagecoach even apparently had buyers for adjacent operations lined up.

It wasn't aware that WMT were approached by Stagecoach, Badgerline & British Bus during negotiations with NX. Originally WMT were planning a stock market floatation of there own & had expanded by buying North East Bus, County Bus & Coach & Westlink.

In fact you could make that four Stagecoach attempts:

1991 lost out to ESOP buyout for a lessor amount than Stagecoach offered
1995 lost out to NX via a merger of WMT & NX
2009 CVC Capital pulled out of ALSA takeover bid & bid collapsed
2009 Stagecoach then approached NX direct with a merger proposal. I believe that time Stagecoach came very close, as NXWM repaints were repainted allover white & without NX in the fleet-names, simply just 'West Midlands'
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why on earth would Wellglade sell the biggest jewel in their metaphorical crown and purchase a couple of smaller operators instead? In the unlikely event that they do sell up I do however think that Wellglade as a whole would be a good fit for Go-Ahead

I agree most if not all of the large bus group would love to buy Wellglade as a group. I can't see Centrebus being that attractive to the large groups. Yourbus again only if someone wanted to weaken Trent Barton

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'd agree that Stagecoach won't attempt Cornwall - but it's nothing to do with First's overdue improvement of late. Cornwall is quite simply of too little interest for them to bother.

Robert

Stagecoach DID look at FDC quite recently. However, like others I can't see First Kernow going anyway. Quite honestly, I wouldn't welcome any aggressive competition from another operator - the main competitor is the private car and First know that in order to continue to improve the viability of their Cornwall business they need to make their services more attractive. The last thing any bus operator needs in Cornwall these days is aggressive competition undermining their business.

On the other hand, I can quite see the owners of Western Greyhound looking for a way out. Standards have slipped since those heady days of a few years ago and the company relies predominantly on tendered work. I feel the company is just going through the motions. They've even closed their Facebook account and are not on Twitter.

robertclark125

Established Member
At one time Western Greyhound would've been a good fit for Go Ahead. Given the challenge, it may not be now. But, another challenging area that would be a good fit is west Lothian. It's whether Go Ahead wants to accept the challenge!

317 forever

Established Member
At one time Western Greyhound would've been a good fit for Go Ahead. Given the challenge, it may not be now. But, another challenging area that would be a good fit is west Lothian. It's whether Go Ahead wants to accept the challenge!

Life is harder for Western Greyhound since the fire last year and loss of some tendered work back to First. It could be a good fit for making Plymouth/ Cornwall essentially a First/ Go-Ahead duopoly, apart from north east Cornwall with Stagecoach Jackett Coaches and Beacon Buses.

SWTH

WGL would probably fit Go-Ahead well, despite the current issues some investment in the fleet and bringing in some outside expertise to sort the internal problems would do wonders for a company that has been stagnating for a few years now.

The core route structure is still profitable, the peripherals have potential, and the actual immediate investment required isn't all that major (replace the last dozen Varios, revamp engineering, put some effort into PR and communication), and would give GA a decent operation from Plymouth westwards.

However, I'm not sure the current owners would sell.

robertclark125

Established Member
West Lothian is a semi interurban area, of the types of operations that Go Ahead has been buying recently. Not only that, it has Edinburgh Airport, The Gyle, Edinburgh itself, and Livingston New town all there. How the hell First has made a mess of it, well, you tell me. The challenge is great, but given the interurban nature, its the sort of thing Go Ahead might buy.

34D

Established Member
Surprised noone has posted about Go Ahead acquiring a majority stake in Rossendale yet (subject to formalities)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
West Lothian is a semi interurban area, of the types of operations that Go Ahead has been buying recently. Not only that, it has Edinburgh Airport, The Gyle, Edinburgh itself, and Livingston New town all there. How the hell First has made a mess of it, well, you tell me. The challenge is great, but given the interurban nature, its the sort of thing Go Ahead might buy.

What Go-Ahead have bought recently have, in the main, been higher quality independents such as Hedingham, Konectbus, Anglian, Carousel, and Thames Travel.

First's West Lothian ops don't really fit that profile. I'm led to believe that they did look at one of First's operations that would've bolted onto a neighbouring GA operation but it needed too much updating/too expensive

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Is this deal still on the cards?

Wasn't it one of the council's election pledges to keep control of the Rossendale Transport bus operations ?

There appears to be no discussion of selling off Rossendale Transport by the council. Would they not need to arrange a public meeting and consultation to announce any intention to sell off their bus operations ?

317 forever

Established Member
Go-Ahead seem to be busy at the moment preparing to take over the Thameslink franchise, technically GoVia. So maybe they have not had time to negotiate taking over any more bus companies. Mind you, the CMA might not approve of them taking over operators they feel would be a good fit in existing areas.

CatfordCat

Dunno really - and I expect they are also starting to think about re-bidding for the South Eastern franchise.

Although I would imagine at group level they are big enough to cope with absorbing another bus company or two if they felt so inclined.

I suspect the philosophy is more to wait until something worthwhile is available at an acceptable price rather than go out and expand rapidly at all costs. The industry has matured a lot since the 'we must go out and do this to stop someone else doing it' era post deregulation.

I don't know the extent to which the likes of Thames Travel (etc) were approached by Go-Ahead or vice versa. I wasn't aware of any local speculation about Thames Travel being for sale before the deal was done.

It has often been the case that making it known that a bus company is up for sale results in competitive registrations which undermine the value of a company (which is the effect that First's actions a year or two back seem to have had - especially in Northampton)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Off-topic a bit,

Go-Ahead is alleging the reason they pulled out of the DLR race two weeks before the deadline isn't because they couldn't agree risk levels with Colas but that 'Paris Politics' caused Colas to pull out so as to leave a clear path for SNCF subsidiary Keolis who was a rival bidder.

http://www.passengertransport.co.uk/2014/10/‘paris-politics-cost-go-ahead-dlr-deal’/

And who is Go-Ahead's partner in Govia for the next eighteen years in Thameslink/Southern? Yes, the very same Keolis! Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall of their next board meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.