Go-Ahead won't be losing the GTR franchise

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Surreytraveller, 4 Dec 2018.

1. Surreytraveller

Surreytraveller Member

Looks like the Government have begged Go-Ahead not to hand the keys of the GTR franchise back

https://www.go-ahead.com/en/media/news/2018/GTR-DfT-agreement-2018.html

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Jorge Da Silva

Jorge Da Silva Member

Should have been stripped of Franchise. Not surprised at all, though.

4. hwl

hwl Established Member

Who else is going to do a better job from now onwards?

5. OxtedSignaller

OxtedSignaller Member

What people don't see is that changing the franchise operator, would just put everything back further, it's a big money spending exercise changing everything over to a new company and politically the government don't want the hassle of being responsible for it through DOR. May as well let them see out the last two and a half years or so of the contract, then it can be relet on better terms and as traditional separate franchises that are focused on running a reliable train service day in and day out not transformation like this one is.

6. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

Wouldn’t change a thing. 99% of staff would stay the same, following exactly the same DFT policies.

7. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

Seems the RMT don't understand that stripping them of the franchise would be pointless either. Their typical response below with the usual 'basket case' garbage. They really need to sort out these press releases, they embarrass themselves.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-on-grayling-punishment-of-govia-thameslink/

8. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

1. They are only following Government instructions (DOO etc) and dependent on the Public Sector infrastructure (i.e. Network Rail's tracks)
    2. Any replacement would have to follow the same Government instructions (DOO etc) and at the mercy of aforementioned Public Sector infrastructure
    3. The knee-jerk RMT solution to everything would just put the services directly in the hands of the Government that have mandated the things that have caused (DOO etc) and no magic wand to resolve the Network Rail problems

At the moment the Government have a fall-guy who take the blame when things go wrong - why would they want to take it back in house?

9. whoosh

whoosh Member

Not a surprise from the government.

RMT's "basket case" comment. Not a surprise.
    Think my 'Railway Bingo' card is full - "House!"

All predictable really.

10. dk1

dk1 Established Member

I was more surprised with the £15m they've been 'forced to spend' (That's how tbe BBC worded it) as for a company that size with the income that's comes in they must be laughing & jolly relieved it's so miniscule an amount.

11. Dr Hoo

Dr Hoo Member

Does anybody know how much ‘income’ GTR actually receive?
    As I understand it all the fares income actually passes straight to the DfT.
    Most of the ‘fee’ income will go on staff, to Network Rail, to rolling stock leasing companies, traction current, BTP, etc. without touching the sides.
    What is GTR really left with?

12. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Nothing this year apparently. Profit will be zero. I don't feel too sorry for them though as they do nothing for nothing. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

13. FOH

FOH Member

They should’ve been stripped and banned from future bidding.

14. dk1

dk1 Established Member

I don't think the DfT can be too picky anymore & let's not forget that they are the ones who have called the tune for many of this (sort of) franchises failings.

15. Robertj21a

Robertj21a Established Member

What, for complying with DfT directives ?

16. FOH

FOH Member

For acting in contempt of their customers’ interests and following this with complete lack of empathy

17. Shaw S Hunter

Shaw S Hunter Established Member

Trouble is you could just as easily say that about the DfT...

18. HH

HH Established Member

When I was bidding for this franchise the Revenue was £1.3bn a year. If the 1% profit relates to that figure then that is £13m a year. IF the £15m were all coming out of their pocket then that's next year's profits gone, but often these promises are usually part smoke and mirrors. I'll bet engineers are running around trying to find things to "fix" on trains (that don't need fixing) that will be spread to the end of the franchise, and the figure will include staff time that DfT already effectively pay for. It's probably the main reason why the profit figure has been dialled back, so they're sort of double counting it as well.

Sir Humphrey is at it, as usual.

19. DelW

DelW Member

Not to mention that a significant part of that 'daily misery' was inflicted on passengers by the RMT with its pointless and unsuccessful strike campaign.

Having found that it doesn't work there, RMT is now inflicting the same misery on SWR passengers. It seems passenger service is not something the RMT have any concern about at all.

20. Jorge Da Silva

Jorge Da Silva Member

That’s the biggest issue with many franchises. The Unions have too much control.

21. FOH

FOH Member

But GTR's performance had already gone south way before the strikes. The strikes however allowed the management to cover up their own failings.

22. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

To be honest both GTR and DfT have got away with this unpunished.

They needed to fund £15 Million. Pocket change,

No profit? Again if they had the risk of the farebox they would have a large deficit.

We will watch the share price of go-ahead with interest but I bet it goes up because of this.

Meanwhile us passengers still have no clue when the 2018 timetable will be fully implemented. (Including weekends before someone says next week)

23. hwl

hwl Established Member

377 mid life overhauls? (already in progress)

24. hwl

hwl Established Member

Remember DfT is their customer

25. HH

HH Established Member

Possibly; they can add something that's not needed and then they have an excuse to extend the programme (which was probably already behind).

26. hwl

hwl Established Member

Like replacing halogen reading lights with LEDs?

Presumably some more station refreshes with gating etc. too.

It should be easy enough to do overall over the next few years.

27. 03_179

03_179 Established Member

Where on earth do you get this from ?

The 377s are going through Mid-life overhaul
    313 going through C4 overhaul
    171 going through A6 overhaul.
    Day to day repairs.
    UATs.
    Lathe work.

Trust me the engineers have more than enough work to do to and are not "trying to find things to "fix" on trains (that don't need fixing)".

28. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I am not sure Govia is going to commit fraud and then expect to ever run a franchise/contract again.

29. Class 403

Class 403 Member

What interests me is what exactly do they as in both GTR and the DfT have in mind as "GTR will provide £15m of funding this year for passenger enhancements"?

So what kind of passenger enhancements are we looking at?

Could we see wifi rolled out to stations which don't currently have it such as:

Great Northern

Arlesey
    Biggleswade
    Cuffley
    Downham Market
    Grange Park
    Hadley Wood
    Knebworth
    New Southgate
    Sandy
    Welwyn North

As according to GTR Great Northern, they don't have wifi at these stations - see here for the list.

Equally if you look at GTR Southern, they advertise wifi at 58 of their stations as you can see here yet actually operate 156 stations.

So although I have no idea what form these improvements will take, it surely can't take much of that money to bring wifi to all their stations can it?

30. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Does Knebworth need Wi-Fi? It's swimming with fast 4G and besides the peak/school hours is hardly busy. The same for most of the others listed.

Personally, the O2 Wi-Fi offered is nearly always slower than 4G. Sure I have to use my allowance but that's fine. Only a station underground would benefit from Wi-Fi I think.

So that still leaves £15m to spend!

31. bramling

bramling Established Member

The miserable side of me kind of objects to subsidising WiFi for people who can’t be bothered to pay for their own data allowance!

Further compensation to regular users for the previous and continuing dismal performance wouldn’t go amiss in my view.