• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
I've had it confirmed from a usually reliable source that OTS will be operating all the Falmouth area routes.

MB162435

Established Member
I've had it confirmed from a usually reliable source that OTS will be operating all the Falmouth area routes.
Problem with the Falmouth/Penryn area nearly everyone is either a student or retired, so GCB would certainly struggle finding staff here

MB162435

Established Member
Looking at Facebook and Twitter, not many of the comments between PCB and FK staff are particularly nice, competition is certainly good, so that Kernow don't become complacent with service cuts recently especially at weekends, and fare rises in recent years, but Cornwall isn't really the place for a bus war

Goldfish62

Established Member
Summercourt Travel trading as Travel Cornwall have posted on Facebook photos of their successful route test jolly in one of the 2010 E200 this morning to portloe and mevagissey village. Looks tight in places
https://www.facebook.com/317383951624872/posts/3155870354442870/?d=n

Screenshot attached for those without Facebook
So apparent confirmation that Summercourt are involved in the new network.

That's incredibly tight, though. I can see why FK decided that E200s were too big.

richw

Veteran Member
So apparent confirmation that Summercourt are involved in the new network.

That's incredibly tight, though. I can see why FK decided that E200s were too big.
E200MMCs are a little wider too than this example of e200.
I was talking to a Summercourt driver last week at st Austell bus station and he said they’ve been told they’ve gained 6 additional routes under sub contracts on top of all their existing routes!
I’m starting to wonder how much citybus are going to run themselves. OTS appear to have gained work too as they’re on a requirement drive to meet additional work too.

Goldfish62

Established Member
E200MMCs are a little wider too than this example of e200.
I was talking to a Summercourt driver last week at st Austell bus station and he said they’ve been told they’ve gained 6 additional routes under sub contracts on top of all their existing routes!
I’m starting to wonder how much citybus are going to run themselves. OTS appear to have gained work too as they’re on a requirement drive to meet additional work too.
I'd guess that Hopley's are probably involved as well.

If then Summercourt have retained the 409, which is somewhat remote from their base, I wonder if they're taking on the other Penzance area routes, namely 5, 7, 16/16A, 347 and 515.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Mind you, you wonder what FK were proposing if Summercourt, Hopley and OTS were all part of the GCB bid. Did FK propose to run it all themselves??
A conspiracy theorist may suggest that FK were intending to destroy all of their competitors to then be able to better enjoy the benefits of an absolute monopoly. Similarly it might be suggested that by joining forces with a nearby large operator, the small fry have very effectively protected themselves from any such anti-competive behaviour.

One question is, were the small operators in any way party to the Go Cornwall bid, or were they contacted after the outcome of the tender was known?

Anyways, Cornwall CC have ensured some measure of competition for any future tenders. Surely a good thing as any passenger travelling in a First dominated area will probably tell you!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
One question is, were the small operators in any way party to the Go Cornwall bid, or were they contacted after the outcome of the tender was known?

I doubt it was the latter. The speed in which they have had to move suggests that and when submitting your prices, you'd want to know what you might be paying to a subby.

Also, don't know about this tender but usually such tenders will have various requirements in terms of the declaration of sub contractor use.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I doubt it was the latter. The speed in which they have had to move suggests that and when submitting your prices, you'd want to know what you might be paying to a subby.

Also, don't know about this tender but usually such tenders will have various requirements in terms of the declaration of sub contractor use.
It's Cornwall Council - it'll all be as clear as mud, possibly even less so!

farwest

If Summercourt are to be running many of these route I do hope they invest in some more modern vehicles. The 50/51 have mainly new vehicles at the moment with First.

richw

Veteran Member
If Summercourt are to be running many of these route I do hope they invest in some more modern vehicles. The 50/51 have mainly new vehicles at the moment with First.

they’ve recently added 2013 fiat ducato (stratos body I believe) and 2010 enviro 200 to their fleet

Goldfish62

Established Member
They'll have to as the contracts are minimum Euro V (Oct 2009 onwards).

Goldfish62

Established Member
An unidentified Callywith E400 was parked in Penzance Wherrytown car park this morning.

richw

Veteran Member
Richard Stevens citybus MD doing a video Interview for Cornwall live.
https://www.facebook.com/133683216665537/posts/3037693809597782/?vh=e&d=n

introducing the new E400 city deckers for the Plymouth 42 route as being the new buses ordered specifically for cornwall.
Most of the tenders carry fresh air, a decker would be overkill, and compete unsuitable, as well as a waste of fuel, with deckers being heavier on fuel than a small single decker.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Richard Stevens citybus MD doing a video Interview for Cornwall live.
https://www.facebook.com/133683216665537/posts/3037693809597782/?vh=e&d=n

introducing the new E400 city deckers for the Plymouth 42 route as being the new buses ordered specifically for cornwall.
Most of the tenders carry fresh air, a decker would be overkill, and compete unsuitable, as well as a waste of fuel, with deckers being heavier on fuel than a small single decker.
I can only assume the E400 Cities will replace the existing E400s in East Cornwall. Can't think what else they'd be suitable for.

He omits to mention the 10 year E200s that it appears Summercourt will use on the network. :)

richw

Veteran Member
I can only assume the E400 Cities will replace the existing E400s in East Cornwall. Can't think what else they'd be suitable for.

He omits to mention the 10 year E200s that it appears Summercourt will use on the network. :)

Derriford hospital has imposed a clean air zone on their stops, so they’re also needed to meet that requirement

Goldfish62

Established Member
Derriford hospital has imposed a clean air zone on their stops, so they’re also needed to meet that requirement
It'll certainly be interesting to see what exactly is on order including what the independents will be running. I assume a certain amount of the new buses will be leased to them.

Anthony ross

It also makes you wonder if the independents driving staff will have to take training at PCB to bring them up to there standard

richw

Veteran Member
We were all concentrating on First versus GA...
Stagecoach have drawn first (public) blood, and commercially registered Hartland to Bude!

Attachments

• A6302EE2-A340-43D9-9D25-3D5B49C55199.png
    A6302EE2-A340-43D9-9D25-3D5B49C55199.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 73

markymark2000

On Moderation
We were all concentrating on First versus GA...
Stagecoach have drawn first (public) blood, and commercially registered Hartland to Bude!
That part of the 319 is currently funded 'in part' by Cornwall Council and I think Stagecoach will only want to keep it as it is a dead millage route for the 319 to Barnstable for 1 round trip and the other is a school so if the 'dead millage' trip is kept, that will be why.

https://bustimes.org/registrations/PH1020951/178

richw

Veteran Member
That part of the 319 is currently funded 'in part' by Cornwall Council and I think Stagecoach will only want to keep it as it is a dead millage route for the 319 to Barnstable for 1 round trip and the other is a school so if the 'dead millage' trip is kept, that will be why.

https://bustimes.org/registrations/PH1020951/178

the registration has been changed to subsidy:No
Other options are part and yes