• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

richw

Veteran Member
One success story does seem to be OTS. I saw in the local rag that one of their regular passengers has bought all the drivers a pasty, and Rowe's Bakers have donated more as well.

I suspect the success is more to do with being a local company that is operating the same routes with the same drivers as they always have, as apposed to it now being subcontracted via Go and the bus being Red!
Summercourt travel appear to have done well too. Despite their sometimes negative view as a bit of a cowboy, they always perform well, have a true family base with their drivers too, and they operate very reliably.
Hopleys have along as always but lost their brand name on their servicesz
I’m led to believe Ots recruited a number of new drivers, initially on temporary agency type contracts, but nearly all transferred to become permanent employees they were so happy with working at OTS. Several included relocating from out of county.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yarp1

All PCB buses in Cornwall are ment to be in TFC livery. Granted that yes if they are short of buses in Cornwall they may get one from plymouth in PCB livery. Do pcb get fined now for incorrect liveried bus in cornwall ?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Just looking at the timetable updates on Traveline. The current route 7 timetable now has an end date of 31st March with no timetable showing from 1st April, unlike others, eg 2, 39A, which are displaying new timetables. I assume this means that route 7 is withdrawn again, leaving Lands End - St Just and Pendeen - Gurnards Head with no service until the Land's End Coaster (former A3) returns in mid-May.

richw

Veteran Member
Just looking at the timetable updates on Traveline. The current route 7 timetable now has an end date of 31st March with no timetable showing from 1st April, unlike others, eg 2, 39A, which are displaying new timetables. I assume this means that route 7 is withdrawn again, leaving Lands End - St Just and Pendeen - Gurnards Head with no service until the Land's End Coaster (former A3) returns in mid-May.
The route 7 tender on the Freedom of information request is only a seasonal subsidy. It doesn’t specify what the season is defined of, but as it’s a fixed annual amount I imagine it will have set dates

Goldfish62

Established Member
The route 7 tender on the Freedom of information request is only a seasonal subsidy. It doesn’t specify what the season is defined of, but as it’s a fixed annual amount I imagine it will have set dates
If the dates are set in stone rather than coordinating with the A3 then that's utterly hopeless. The reason it runs off-season is due to the lack of any other service.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Details of changes from 28th March are now on the TfC website:

"Network Update 28th March 2021​

We are making some adjustments from Sunday 28th March 2021, This includes additional journeys on the service 2 in Penzance including the introduction of a Saturday service, we are also pleased to inform passengers who use the service 7 again in the Penzance area as this service will continue to operate all year round rather than just in the winter as previously advertised. After receiving comments from passengers the 89 will be diverted to serve Lanivet providing a new link to Truro and Bodmin. The 72 in East Cornwall will receive its usual enhanced summer uplift, although a little earlier than usual this year and will also include new links to Liskeard and Seaton. Plus the 176 from Launceston to Bodmin Parkway Station will now be re numbered the 76.
We are also making some adjustments to other services in the county again after receiving comments from passengers and our own observations after reaching the end of our first year of operating buses throughout Cornwall.
The full list of changes can be found below

2 Will see an enhanced service Monday to Saturday
7 Will now operate all year around
30 Additional journey at 1640 from Penrice to Carclaze
34 Amended route - into Redruth via Clinton Road, extended to Barncoose Hospital via Tesco and serves Bosnoweth instead of 37/37A
36 Sundays service will no longer serve Gweek and serve RNAS Culdrose – Truro Railway Station instead
37/37A Remove Bosnoweth to improve punctuality. Bosnoweth now served by 34
39A Amended route to serve shops at Jelbert Way
45 School journey times extended to improve punctuality
46 Diverted via Boiler Works Road instead of North Boskear Road in Camborne. Timetable will not be changed to achieve this
59 The timetable will be extended to serve Sweet Briar Crescent.
72 Extra journeys for the summer will now also serve Liskeard and Seaton
89 Rerouted via Lanivet
95 Sunday service recommences
176 Daytime service renumbered to 76
515 Amended route for the journey before the afternoon school journey

A PDF of the full timetables including all the changes mentioned can be found on this page, printed timetables will also be available towards the end of the month and we have split into a West, Central and East Cornwall edition.
If you have any questions on any of the services mentioned then please click here.
Thankyou and stay safe.

31st March 2021 - Timetables Network Map West - From 28th March Network Map Mid - From 28th March Network Map East - From 28th March
Transport for Cornwall"

The timetables are now branded for each operator rather than the GCB ones branded as TfC.

The maps depressingly continue to deny the existence of Cornwall's commercial network and I can already see some errors on the West Map:
7 - despite stating above that this will operate all year round it's been deleted from the map!
M6 - shown despite TfC not operating any journeys
A17 - PZ to St Ives section shown despite TfC not operating any journeys.

And in case you're thinking that showing the M6 and A17 is no bad thing it's inconsistent with the approach taken for the T1 (PZ to Camborne only) and the T2 (doesn't exist).

I was hoping things might start maturing with TfC after a year, but sadly it seems not to be the case.

richw

Veteran Member
72 Extra journeys for the summer will now also serve Liskeard and Seaton
This got me interested. 3 journeys a day (4 on Saturday) as a 72a. Basically an express liskeard - looe - polperro going via widegates instead of Duloe. It’s closer to a 73a than a 72a in my opinion.

fgwrich

Established Member
The timetables are now branded for each operator rather than the GCB ones branded as TfC.

The maps depressingly continue to deny the existence of Cornwall's commercial network and I can already see some errors on the West Map:
7 - despite stating above that this will operate all year round it's been deleted from the map!
M6 - shown despite TfC not operating any journeys
A17 - PZ to St Ives section shown despite TfC not operating any journeys.

And in case you're thinking that showing the M6 and A17 is no bad thing it's inconsistent with the approach taken for the T1 (PZ to Camborne only) and the T2 (doesn't exist).

I was hoping things might start maturing with TfC after a year, but sadly it seems not to be the case.

I did notice the inclusion of a few of the FK Operated routes. I'm not sure if it's cheeky from GCB, or just ballsy. I wonder how long it'll be before we have a Cornwall Council press release with the usual levels of self congratulatory back patting.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I noticed the 304 is shown with a Hopley’s logo and the 315 has ‘Operated by Go Cornwall Bus’ (with GCB logo), but then the wording ’Operated by Hopleys Coaches’ in small with the journey notes. I presume the 315 is still Hopley’s and the GCB logo was used in error?

Goldfish62

Established Member
I did notice the inclusion of a few of the FK Operated routes. I'm not sure if it's cheeky from GCB, or just ballsy. I wonder how long it'll be before we have a Cornwall Council press release with the usual levels of self congratulatory back patting.
There was one of them the other day given that the national bus strategy re-confirmed that Cornwall will be the first area to receive low fares funding. The usual photo of those who like being photographed, plus several TfC buses lined up behind.

carlberry

Established Member
There was one of them the other day given that the national bus strategy re-confirmed that Cornwall will be the first area to receive low fares funding. The usual photo of those who like being photographed, plus several TfC buses lined up behind.
Did it include any details of what the scheme is actually going to do as the last time it was mentioned somebody had come up with a crazy scheme to burn the money as quickly as possible during the pandemic just because they could spend it and wouldn't be allowed to if they waited too long!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Did it include any details of what the scheme is actually going to do as the last time it was mentioned somebody had come up with a crazy scheme to burn the money as quickly as possible during the pandemic just because they could spend it and wouldn't be allowed to if they waited too long!
No, but clearly it'll have to apply to all operators as much I'm sure that the council would like to exclude Kernow.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Possibly illegal under competition law to not include all operators
And also there's the issue of using public money to undermine a commercial operation.

In any case, that's not going to happen. The national bus strategy makes clear there's to be no more pretending that services don't exist because they're run by another operator.

GCB tweeted moments ago that new timetables valid from the 28th March have been published, and awaiting distribution, instead of the usual all in one book this time they have split into 'East Cornwall', 'Mid Cornwall' and 'West Cornwall'

Whether this will be a long term or just a Covid temporary measure until things stabilise remains to be seen, handy for those who don't travel around the County, but will potentially make cross county journeys more difficult for tourists and locals
I'm told that PCB favoured this on a permanent basis.

I would like to think that these books include maps, accurate maps, but I'm not holding out on that.

Last edited:

MB162435

Established Member
And also there's the issue of using public money to undermine a commercial operation.

In any case, that's not going to happen. The national bus strategy makes clear there's to be no more pretending that services don't exist because they're run by another operator.

I'm told that PCB favoured this on a permanent basis.

I would like to think that these books include maps, accurate maps, but I'm not holding out on that.
One would certainly hope, otherwise there could be quite a few lost passengers in Cornwall this year

I do find after Kernow went for a booklet type timetable it is easier to carry around, and quicker to find the services you need, so hopefully will make life easier if it is accurate

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Given how poor the online maps seem to be from TfC (the PDF ones mentioned earlier in this thread with the invisible but visible FK routes), I don't hold much hope for their information in the timetables to be any bit more accurate either!
Moving on from the other topic, it is good that First Kernow do have a timetable booklet and it makes a great deal of sense. A clear summer/winter season and a load of holidaymakers (and more this year, you'd suspect), it makes sense to have a booklet that people can rely on for a load of leisure exploring which is why the TfC offering is doubly poor.

I'm not advocating the view of fbb (see "public transport experience" blog) that the answer is always a timetable booklet but it makes sense in places with a very definite tourist offering - also see IOW, Dorset etc.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
We do not permit discussion of moderation decisions in threads. Please use the "contact us" form, or report a particular post if you have any issues.

I would like to remind everyone (again) that if you are referring to an external internet source, you should:

• Provide a link to the source
  • Copy the relevant text from the source and paste it into quote tags

SimH

Moving on from the other topic, it is good that First Kernow do have a timetable booklet and it makes a great deal of sense. A clear summer/winter season and a load of holidaymakers (and more this year, you'd suspect), it makes sense to have a booklet that people can rely on for a load of leisure exploring which is why the TfC offering is doubly poor.

I'm not advocating the view of fbb (see "public transport experience" blog) that the answer is always a timetable booklet but it makes sense in places with a very definite tourist offering - also see IOW, Dorset etc.
As a new contribution to the information highway, the TfC Twitter feed appears to be down tonight.

MB162435

Established Member
As a new contribution to the information highway, the TfC Twitter feed appears to be down tonight.
It seems to be under the Go Cornwall name now not TfC like the app, so assuming the Independents will have to communicate themselves now with passengers on social media

richw

Veteran Member
It seems to be under the Go Cornwall name now not TfC like the app, so assuming the Independents will have to communicate themselves now with passengers on social media
Wonder if it’s the start of the TfC brand being quietly dropped. For a brand that’s so young it seems to have a bit of a negative reputation already.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I would assume that as the independents are still sub-contracted to GCB then GCB will still be responsible for social media. At least I would hope that's the case!

Wonder if it’s the start of the TfC brand being quietly dropped. For a brand that’s so young it seems to have a bit of a negative reputation already.
It was completely mismanaged from the start. TfC was always supposed to be the overarching brand for all public transport in Cornwall, promoting ALL services.

Instead, right from the start it's been inextricably linked to PCB through livery, publicity and the council's extraordinary policy of pretending that the commercial network doesn't exist. That's aside from the ineptitude in posting timetables and inaccuracies on maps.

Even though there's been a change of lead at the council, it's still going to be a tall order to unravel all of that.

Last edited:

MB162435

Established Member
Quite possible, it certainly hasn't done Go Cornwall any favours and could easily see them wanting to separate themselves from TfC, before it destroys their reputation completely

I would assume that as the independents are still sub-contracted to GCB then GCB will still be responsible for social media. At least I would hope that's the case!
Hopley's, OTS and Travel Cornwall all have their own social media accounts so would make sense for them to use it, after all most of their passengers joined well before TfC apart from the routes gained from Kernow obviously

It is already looking likely we won't be seeing TfC let out to tender again, hopefully operators can sort it out themselves next time around

Another triumph for integration!
Oh definitely, TfC is something that could of been but unfortunately never came close

Last edited:

Yarp1

It would seem that the council wanted tfc to be the same as tfl but the only resemblance tfc has to tfl is buses are red !! Trying to run buses in Cornwall the same as london hasn't and wont work !!

carlberry

Established Member
It would seem that the council wanted tfc to be the same as tfl but the only resemblance tfc has to tfl is buses are red !! Trying to run buses in Cornwall the same as london hasn't and wont work !!
Wait until the Borismasters arrive!

SimH

It was completely mismanaged from the start. TfC was always supposed to be the overarching brand for all public transport in Cornwall, promoting ALL services.

Instead, right from the start it's been inextricably linked to PCB through livery, publicity and the council's extraordinary policy of pretending that the commercial network doesn't exist. That's aside from the ineptitude in posting timetables and inaccuracies on maps.

Even though there's been a change of lead at the council, it's still going to be a talk order to unravel all of that.
Quite agree. A great shame though. There will be some back-pedalling now, I suspect. Let's call them all Western National. That used to work reasonably well.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Quite possible, it certainly hasn't done Go Cornwall any favours and could easily see them wanting to separate themselves from TfC, before it destroys their reputation completely
Well, it was GoAhead that proposed to the council the livery and the use of the TfC name on the buses so any reputational damage is at least partly of their own making.

Yarp1

Well, it was GoAhead that proposed to the council the livery and the use of the TfC name on the buses so any reputational damage is at least partly of their own making.
It was on the understanding that the council wanted their own branding and name (TfC) as basically they wanted which ever company did the tenders to lose their identity. So if FK had won the tenders, would the buses have still been red and carried the TfC name? I think it was more a case of GoAhead agreeing to what the council wanted, but I could well be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I was on the understanding that the council wanted their own branding and name (tfc) as basically they wanted which ever company did the tenders to loose their identity!? So if FK had won the tenders would the buses have still been red and tfc name??
I think it was more a case of go ahead agreeing to what the council wanted. But I could well be wrong
No, as quoted in Coach and Bus Week by a senior manager at Citybus it was the operator that proposed the plain red livery and TfC branding for everything, including the independents. Naturally the council was happy with this as it played to their sense of "being like London". The council's input was designing the TfC logo (which I do actually quite like) and deciding the locations of the multitude of logos on the buses.

I assume Citybus's willingness to go for a uniform TfC identity attracted a positive score for quality in the bid evaluation process

Further to this, the books do have maps, but they continue to have the same multitude of errors and inconsistencies as the online versions.