• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I was hoping someone more computer literate would open this new thread, in view of this Go-Ahead subsidiary winning substantial new contracts from Cornwall Council which take effect from 29th March. As it appears to be going to be run entirely separately from Plymouth Citybus in future, it would seem to deserve its own thread.

All Cornish local weekly newspapers published by the Cornwall and Devon Media Group based in Truro have today received wrap-round, four page covers advertising this bus company, both with messages for the general public (not much detail at present beyond what Cornwall Council have already announced) and for potential bus drivers, be they existing ones with another company or new recruits. The ad confirms an £11 p.h.pay rate and that 'those currently employed on the buses in Cornwall for the current operator of Cornwall Council funded tendered services' are protected by TUPE, so can transfer for current rates of pay or £11 p.h., suggesting that the latter is a better offer!

Some other wording of the ad offers some clues as to other aspects of the new (or, at least, greatly expanded operation), but I don't currently have the time to post these - if nobody else does this evening I'll endeavour to come on later to add more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Adding a little to the above, Richard Stevens, Managing Director states that Go Cornwall Buses, ''our engineering partners Conserv and OTHER SMALLER BUS OPERATORS IN THE COUNTY are after a great team to deliver this exciting network.'' (my capitals) Job positions as engineers, managers, inspectors, cleaning staff and customer service advisors are available (between them, presumably) in Truro, Bodmin, Helston, Liskeard, Bude, Launceston, Falmouth and Scorrier, so make of those locations what you will. The telephone number for enquiries is an 01872 Truro one, which suggests to me the operation will be centred on that city.

I take it therefore that there'll be some contracting out by Go Cornwall, probably on the sparse rural routes currently operated by the independents with small buses.

dgl

Established Member
It was sort if expected that they would have to contract out, esp. as First have stated that all jobs at FK are safe, will be interesting to see how it pans out, and more importantly if Cornwall council can afford the increase of funding required.

carlberry

Established Member
I was hoping someone more computer literate would open this new thread, in view of this Go-Ahead subsidiary winning substantial new contracts from Cornwall Council which take effect from 29th March. As it appears to be going to be run entirely separately from Plymouth Citybus in future, it would seem to deserve its own thread.

All Cornish local weekly newspapers published by the Cornwall and Devon Media Group based in Truro have today received wrap-round, four page covers advertising this bus company, both with messages for the general public (not much detail at present beyond what Cornwall Council have already announced) and for potential bus drivers, be they existing ones with another company or new recruits. The ad confirms an £11 p.h.pay rate and that 'those currently employed on the buses in Cornwall for the current operator of Cornwall Council funded tendered services' are protected by TUPE, so can transfer for current rates of pay or £11 p.h., suggesting that the latter is a better offer!

Some other wording of the ad offers some clues as to other aspects of the new (or, at least, greatly expanded operation), but I don't currently have the time to post these - if nobody else does this evening I'll endeavour to come on later to add more.
How does the £11 compare to what First drivers are on, or the existing Go Cornwall drivers? Perhaps even Stagecoach Plymouth for the Liskeard depot?

carlberry

Established Member
It was sort if expected that they would have to contract out, esp. as First have stated that all jobs at FK are safe, will be interesting to see how it pans out, and more importantly if Cornwall council can afford the increase of funding required.
The funding was presumably agreed before the contract was put out to tender so shouldn't be an issue.

jammy36

Adding a little to the above, Richard Stevens, Managing Director states that Go Cornwall Buses, ''our engineering partners Conserv and OTHER SMALLER BUS OPERATORS IN THE COUNTY are after a great team to deliver this exciting network.'' (my capitals) Job positions as engineers, managers, inspectors, cleaning staff and customer service advisors are available (between them, presumably) in Truro, Bodmin, Helston, Liskeard, Bude, Launceston, Falmouth and Scorrier, so make of those locations what you will. The telephone number for enquiries is an 01872 Truro one, which suggests to me the operation will be centred on that city.

I take it therefore that there'll be some contracting out by Go Cornwall, probably on the sparse rural routes currently operated by the independents with small buses.

Is the spelling of their engineering partner quoted above right? Is it Conserv or actually Corserv?

If the latter that's a little interesting as the company is wholly owned by Cornwall Council (presumably as a LATCo). It's an umbrella company, so Cormac is part of Corserv (as well as several others).

I'm not sure exactly what their engineering partners will be providing (maintenance, depot space, fuelling...?), but maybe some of the money Cornwall Council are paying Go Cornwall Bus will end up back with the council via Corserv as a (council owned) subcontractor...!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is the spelling of their engineering partner quoted above right? Is it Conserv or actually Corserv?

If the latter that's a little interesting as the company is wholly owned by Cornwall Council (presumably as a LATCo). It's an umbrella company, so Cormac is part of Corserv (as well as several others).

I'm not sure exactly what their engineering partners will be providing (maintenance, depot space, fuelling...?), but maybe some of the money Cornwall Council are paying Go Cornwall Bus will end up back with the council via Corserv as a (council owned) subcontractor...!
You're right - I've very tired eyes this evening and misread the name, which I'd never heard of before. I can only say warning bells are sounding with me in all this - Cormac, for one, have a very poor reputation for efficiency and quality of work, with (unsubstantiated, but persistent) allegations concerning how contracts are awarded. I do hope that there are more than just bus and transport enthusiasts going to be scrutinising all this, given this new contract is merely the first part of wideranging and expensive change, hopefully for the better.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Job positions as engineers, managers, inspectors, cleaning staff and customer service advisors are available (between them, presumably) in Truro, Bodmin, Helston, Liskeard, Bude, Launceston, Falmouth and Scorrier, so make of those locations what you will.

The locations.... Well, given the nature of services in North Cornwall (i.e. mainly tendered), it's not a surprise that they have bases up there, and of course, they already have bases in Bodmin and Liskeard. Similarly, Falmouth and Helston aren't surprising because of the tendered Falmouth locals, and the Helford and Lizard routes, not withstanding any registrations from FK.

A couple of interesting ones though are a base at Scorrier, though wonder if that is the new Summercourt (being located in the centre of things and close to the A30 to allow vehicles to move about? Also, no local base for Penzance (run from Scorrier?) nor is there anywhere round St Austell (unless that might be done from Bodmin?)

carlberry

Established Member
The locations.... Well, given the nature of services in North Cornwall (i.e. mainly tendered), it's not a surprise that they have bases up there, and of course, they already have bases in Bodmin and Liskeard. Similarly, Falmouth and Helston aren't surprising because of the tendered Falmouth locals, and the Helford and Lizard routes, not withstanding any registrations from FK.

A couple of interesting ones though are a base at Scorrier, though wonder if that is the new Summercourt (being located in the centre of things and close to the A30 to allow vehicles to move about? Also, no local base for Penzance (run from Scorrier?) nor is there anywhere round St Austell (unless that might be done from Bodmin?)
The council do have a highways base at Scorrier, did the contract say that the council would provide some facilities?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The council do have a highways base at Scorrier, did the contract say that the council would provide some facilities?
That was my initial thought, but I didn't have specific knowledge of what might be available.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I'm wondering whether the Penzance stuff (i.e. the full time routes) might all go to 'other operators' to work, leaving the evening and Sunday stuff to be worked from Helston (U4, possibly A1 though I think First might have ideas on that) and Scorrier for the A17, during evenings at least. The A17 is basically run as two services on a Sunday, and First might still want the St Ives bit. M6? Um, 'other operator' perhaps, though Summers might attract First commercially. T1 and T2 from Scorrier.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm wondering whether the Penzance stuff (i.e. the full time routes) might all go to 'other operators' to work, leaving the evening and Sunday stuff to be worked from Helston (U4, possibly A1 though I think First might have ideas on that) and Scorrier for the A17, during evenings at least. The A17 is basically run as two services on a Sunday, and First might still want the St Ives bit. M6? Um, 'other operator' perhaps, though Summers might attract First commercially. T1 and T2 from Scorrier.

I think we're all wondering, not least when First unveil what they will registering. I'd be surprised if all day stuff like the 5 and 16 would be done by other operators, but perhaps the community bus round Zennor might be one "other operator".

You might have a better idea about what's commercial in summer vs winter but you may be right on some of those like the A17. It is a case of seeing what FK register.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think we're all wondering, not least when First unveil what they will registering. I'd be surprised if all day stuff like the 5 and 16 would be done by other operators, but perhaps the community bus round Zennor might be one "other operator".

You might have a better idea about what's commercial in summer vs winter but you may be right on some of those like the A17. It is a case of seeing what FK register.
One final bit of info in Go Cornwall's 'mission statement' was that their buses would be seen 'from St Just to Saltash, Bude to Breage.' The latter place a bit niche, perhaps, but unless new routes are planned this ancient village on the Penzance to Helston road is only served by the U4. I believe all the open top stuff by FK is now commercial, and I wouldn't think FK would want the waters too muddied on the A1 and A17 side during the summer, even if it didn't fully stack up as a commercial proposition.

I admit that I've no idea how many routes 'other operators' may run, but at least the motley collection formerly run by Western Greyhound and later amended in part but which FK didn't gain, though they may not have bid anyway.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There are school runs through Breage.....
FK have already announced a registration for the Lizard.
I wouldn't have thought that Cornwall Bus were competing for the school/college routes too (other than ones they already have, or near relatives to): they've got job enough recruiting sufficient drivers for the new network. Besides, if F.K. lost out to them there'd be a lot of questions to be answered, given that the school routes don't require such modern buses, the principal reason given for CB's higher price submission winning out over FK's on the tendered routes.

P.S. I'm aware that other operators work school routes too: e.g. Rosevidney Travel 337 Leedstown to Mullion School via Breage. Mounts Bay Coaches have their first ever double decker too for school work.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member

I would think St. Austell would be done from Bodmin although that is, perhaps, rather a lot of dead running. As far as bases in north Cornwall are concerned am I right in thinking that PCB also have a base in the Callington area?

Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I would think St. Austell would be done from Bodmin although that is, perhaps, rather a lot of dead running. As far as bases in north Cornwall are concerned am I right in thinking that PCB also have a base in the Callington area?

Dave
They do have a Callington base but as they’re operating and retaining virtually all the current work, hence it wasn’t mentioned.

devonexpress

Is it official then that the new company will keep the Go Cornwall Bus name? I was hoping for something a bit more original or interesting. However, i do think GA are going to struggle and have probably promised more than what they can deliver.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is it official then that the new company will keep the Go Cornwall Bus name? I was hoping for something a bit more original or interesting. However, i do think GA are going to struggle and have probably promised more than what they can deliver.
All their publicity blitz uses this name, with a suggestion (I'll put it no more than that) that it has an HQ in Truro. Plymouth Citybus only gets mentioned in the tiniest of small print concerning applications from their staff wishing to transfer. As far as many in west or mid Cornwall would know, this would be an entirely new venture! I wish them well, up to a point, but not at the expense of existing operators. They'll be scrutinised!

DaveHarries

Established Member
I have been told on Twitter by PCB that the GCB operation is getting its own website.

Dave

Rich McLean

Established Member
From what I can gather, GCB will be its own operation with a Truro base, but will be parented by PCB for back office functions in a regional sense. East routes still managed from Milehouse such as the Torpoint and Saltash services, with the rest managed from Truro. Similar to how other Go-Ahead regional operations work (Sailbury Reds and Morebus as an example). What will be really interesting will be the legals on the vehicles and where the routes get registered from. Also expect on the 12 and 12As to be run by both Truro and Plymouth Ops jointly, with a split in registations but still operating as a through service, a ticket allowing travel throughout Plymouth and the whole of Cornwall.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Also expect on the 12 and 12As to be run by both Truro and Plymouth Ops jointly, with a split in registations but still operating as a through service, a ticket allowing travel throughout Plymouth and the whole of Cornwall.
I wonder how useful such a ticket would be in reality in Cornwall. Even with potential new routes there'd be pretty thin coverage west of Launceston, surely, unless I'm not up to speed with recent PCB initiatives, which is quite possible.

Rich McLean

Established Member
I wonder how useful such a ticket would be in reality in Cornwall. Even with potential new routes there'd be pretty thin coverage west of Launceston, surely, unless I'm not up to speed with recent PCB initiatives, which is quite possible.

Bodmin Parkway and Bodmin itself for one would provide an Interchange point with the existing Bodmin and Padstow services via Liskeard. Zones 1 to 4 being mentioned, with Zone 4 only (West Cornwall) , Zones 3&4 along with existing Zones 1 & 2 and Zones 1, 2 & 3 tickets. I would also imagine a select few commercial routes could be contenders, such as a Liskeard to St Austell via Lostwithiel, Par and St Blazy.

Don't be surprised if GCB go toe to toe with FK on the St Austell to Truro Corridor either, especially if it can offer through tickets from a supported service to a commercial route for less than 2 separate tickets.

The big issue is competing with the 2tph railway service.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Bodmin Parkway and Bodmin itself for one would provide an Interchange point with the existing Bodmin and Padstow services via Liskeard. Zones 1 to 4 being mentioned, with Zone 4 only (West Cornwall) , Zones 3&4 along with existing Zones 1 & 2 and Zones 1, 2 & 3 tickets. I would also imagine a select few commercial routes could be contenders, such as a Liskeard to St Austell via Lostwithiel, Par and St Blazy.

Don't be surprised if GCB go toe to toe with FK on the St Austell to Truro Corridor either, especially if it can offer through tickets from a supported service to a commercial route for less than 2 separate tickets.

The big issue is competing with the 2tph railway service.
That's interesting. FK have lousy bus only ticket deals, but if they chose to advertise the Ride Cornwall joint bus/train ticket, and maybe even sold it on their buses, it could be to their great advantage, assuming they could sort out the financial arrangements with their supposed bedfellows within First, the GWR. FK better get used (again) to having sustained competition on their doorstep. Interesting times.

DaveHarries

Established Member
From what I can gather, GCB will be its own operation with a Truro base, but will be parented by PCB for back office functions in a regional sense. East routes still managed from Milehouse such as the Torpoint and Saltash services, with the rest managed from Truro. Similar to how other Go-Ahead regional operations work (Sailbury Reds and Morebus as an example). What will be really interesting will be the legals on the vehicles and where the routes get registered from. Also expect on the 12 and 12As to be run by both Truro and Plymouth Ops jointly, with a split in registations but still operating as a through service, a ticket allowing travel throughout Plymouth and the whole of Cornwall.
I would reckon that the 12/12A will stay with Callington & Plymouth, rather than a Truro depot having a hand in it? Or am I misunderstanding that comment?

Dave

Rich McLean

Established Member
I would reckon that the 12/12A will stay with Callington & Plymouth, rather than a Truro depot having a hand in it? Or am I misunderstanding that comment?

Dave
Ahh apologies, getting confused. Yeah the 12s would be as is. On about the 11s, as they go all the way to Padstow.

cnjb8

Established Member
GoNorth East have just sold their former Western Greyhound Solo's which I think is very silly of them when GCB needs 130 buses.

Goldfish62

Established Member
GoNorth East have just sold their former Western Greyhound Solo's which I think is very silly of them when GCB needs 130 buses.
Are they Euro 5 or 6? If not then they couldn't be used anyway.