• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

richw

Veteran Member
So is TfC the brand just for the GoAhead bus routes? Elsewhere in the country the Transport for [insert name of local area here] brand is used to cover all services, isn't it?

it’s all the tenders. There’s a thing saying it’s a collective name for GCB, summercourt travel, ots and hopleys

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Looking at the two screenshots below, is ‘Transport for Cornwall’ a partnership between all operators and Cornwall Council as claimed in the text, or is is part of the go ahead group as shown on the second screenshot.

Do Cornwall Council even know???

Attachments

• 8F37A9B5-73BB-420E-B284-55CD0F0FDC04.png
    8F37A9B5-73BB-420E-B284-55CD0F0FDC04.png
    657.8 KB · Views: 86
  • BD262B0F-EA3A-44E4-91B2-1B5303E78398.png
    BD262B0F-EA3A-44E4-91B2-1B5303E78398.png
    504.6 KB · Views: 80

MB162435

Established Member
Right, we have the branding, bring on the substance!
And not brilliant icing on a terrible cake!

As a keen supporter of the new tender since the announcement, I'm hoping I'm not proven wrong, of course there will be teething problems at the beginning, but hopefully it will be an equal match for Kernow once TfC is established

Fingers crossed!

Andyh82

Established Member
That logo looks very abrupt and not very friendly, like it should be on the side of bin wagons

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And not brilliant icing on a terrible cake!

As a keen supporter of the new tender since the announcement, I'm hoping I'm not proven wrong, of course there will be teething problems at the beginning, but hopefully it will be an equal match for Kernow once TfC is established

Fingers crossed!
Everything crossed - they'll need it!

MB162435

Established Member
Since the announcement it has seemed that GCB will have the passengers and the buses but not the drivers, but with the news that over 70's will have to self isolate for 4 months soon, who are bound to be one TfCs largest customer areas, being the tender services, passenger numbers for GCB, Kernow and the subs are bound to fall until things blow over

Train companies are already starting to feel the financial impact of Coronavirus, wonder how long bus companies like Kernow and GCB start to feel it too?

Maybe it won't just be a shortage of drivers for GCB but passengers too

richw

Veteran Member

most of the tendered routes carry little more than fresh air anyway at present. I expect a bigger hit on commercial services where passenger numbers are decent

MB162435

Established Member
most of the tendered routes carry little more than fresh air anyway at present. I expect a bigger hit on commercial services where passenger numbers are decent
Definitely, at the moment no one knows how the virus will effect the tourist season this year in Cornwall

It will either be a bumper year for operators due to everyone holidaying at home and coming to Cornwall, increasing passenger numbers considerably

Or everyone will stay at home and won't bother with a holiday this year, causing a disastrous tourist season with terrible passenger numbers

Kernow will especially be hoping for a good season, with their services being commercial and more tourist focused in particular the A1-A5, than GCB who have the council to back them up anyway with the tender routes

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Definitely, at the moment no one knows how the virus will effect the tourist season this year in Cornwall

It will either be a bumper year for operators due to everyone holidaying at home and coming to Cornwall, increasing passenger numbers considerably

Or everyone will stay at home and won't bother with a holiday this year, causing a disastrous tourist season with terrible passenger numbers

Kernow will especially be hoping for a good season, with their services being commercial and more tourist focused in particular the A1-A5, than GCB who have the council to back them up anyway with the tender routes
How many holidaymakers are over 70?
As the weather is better in the south-west, perhaps it's time for some innovative marketing. Spend your four months isolation in Cornwall. Just as people go abroad to warmer climes for the winter. A holiday camp full of over 70's, deliver food in bulk. Like the older people villages in the USA.

richw

Veteran Member
How many holidaymakers are over 70?

Early May, June and September The retired are the main holiday makers, lots on coach tours, Shearings, Daishs both have hotels in Newquay. Many of their patrons use their bus passes to get around rather than paying day trip supplements

Goldfish62

Established Member

I think it could depend on how long the crisis lasts. If things start returning to normal mid-Summer then everyone could decide to go on holiday at once, resulting in a bumper second half of the season to balance what I think will inevitably be a very poor start.

MB162435

Established Member
I think it could depend on how long the crisis lasts. If things start returning to normal mid-Summer then everyone could decide to go on holiday at once, resulting in a bumper second half of the season to balance what I think will inevitably be a very poor start.
The fact that many places aren't hiring extra staff for the summer, is a sure sign that many businesses are bracing themselves for the worse

At least if the peak tourist season is delayed by the virus, Kernow now run majority of their summer services until late October, so they won't miss out completely on seeing the sights by bus

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Since the announcement it has seemed that GCB will have the passengers and the buses but not the drivers, but with the news that over 70's will have to self isolate for 4 months soon, who are bound to be one TfCs largest customer areas, being the tender services, passenger numbers for GCB, Kernow and the subs are bound to fall until things blow over

Train companies are already starting to feel the financial impact of Coronavirus, wonder how long bus companies like Kernow and GCB start to feel it too?

If Cornwall Council were to announce within the next couple of days that 'due to circumstances beyond our control, our new contract with Go-Cornwall Bus has been postponed until late May' many would understand, and feel this was the right decision, even some with knowledge of what's been going on/not going on. Of course, this would require the co-operation of First Kernow and smaller operators in extending the existing contract, and for FK/TC to agree continuation of current 'commercial' timetables, perhaps with the addition of some seasonal services.

The reasons I think this would be an extremely good idea are:
1) To give Go-Ahead the opportunity to recruit sufficient drivers from other parts of the country, or agency drivers, ready for commencement of service,
2) To give Cornwall Council the opportunity to re-evaluate some of the proposed routes/journeys in view of both FK's stated intentions and other factors that the council could not be aware of when planning the network e.g. the Newquay Airport situation,
3) Speaking of factors beyond the council's control, the Coronavirus situation cannot be ignored. For instance, Truro/Penwith College has already announced the bringing forward of the Easter break to the coming Wednesday(?) and who knows when the students will return? Scotland's Chief Medical Officer spoke this morning of schools there remaining closed for 'thirteen to sixteen weeks' if the necessity to close them was decided upon: she also made it clear that the four U.K. Chief Medical Officers were all agreed on the same measures, though it was up to politicians in the different countries as to if or when they were implemented.
4) It gives Cornwall Council the opportunity to introduce the much-vaunted radical new fares package in tandem, thus turning a possible P.R. disaster into, well, let's be generous and call it a triumph!

Cornwall Council has also recently received adverse reaction to the following:
Its ownership of Newquay Airport, now renamed Cornwall Airport (Newquay) ;
The disclosure that the Oracle Cloud IT project of the council, set to go 'live' on 1st April(!) is not only £3.2m over budget but CC's wholly owned subsidiary Corserv won't be using it because of its perceived deficiencies, and have instead developed their own version of Oracle which is incompatible with the council's!!
The continuing obfuscation over the Stadium for Cornwall which is no nearer to having work started on it than in years past, despite the sums of public money spent on it.

Does any of the above matter? It does to a lot of concerned locals, and the aforementioned Corserv both operates the airport and is the partner of GCB in the new bus services, providing depot space and other services. All rather rum!

MB162435

Established Member
If Cornwall Council were to announce within the next couple of days that 'due to circumstances beyond our control, our new contract with Go-Cornwall Bus has been postponed until late May' many would understand, and feel this was the right decision, even some with knowledge of what's been going on/not going on. Of course, this would require the co-operation of First Kernow and smaller operators in extending the existing contract, and for FK/TC to agree continuation of current 'commercial' timetables, perhaps with the addition of some seasonal services.

1) To give Go-Ahead the opportunity to recruit sufficient drivers from other parts of the country, or agency drivers, ready for commencement of service,
2) To give Cornwall Council the opportunity to re-evaluate some of the proposed routes/journeys in view of both FK's stated intentions and other factors that the council could not be aware of when planning the network e.g. the Newquay Airport situation,
3) Speaking of factors beyond the council's control, the Coronavirus situation cannot be ignored. For instance, Truro/Penwith College has already announced the bringing forward of the Easter break to the coming Wednesday(?) and who knows when the students will return? Scotland's Chief Medical Officer spoke this morning of schools there remaining closed for 'thirteen to sixteen weeks' if the necessity to close them was decided upon: she also made it clear that the four U.K. Chief Medical Officers were all agreed on the same measures, though it was up to politicians in the different countries as to if or when they were implemented.
4) It gives Cornwall Council the opportunity to introduce the much-vaunted radical new fares package in tandem, thus turning a possible P.R. disaster into, well, let's be generous and call it a triumph!

The disclosure that the Oracle Cloud IT project of the council, set to go 'live' on 1st April(!) is not only £3.2m over budget but CC's wholly owned subsidiary Corserv won't be using it because of its perceived deficiencies, and have instead developed their own version of Oracle which is incompatible with the council's!!
The continuing obfuscation over the Stadium for Cornwall which is no nearer to having work started on it than in years past, despite the sums of public money spent on it.

Does any of the above matter? It does to a lot of concerned locals, and the aforementioned Corserv both operates the airport and is the partner of GCB in the new bus services, providing depot space and other services. All rather rum!
The perfect storm indeed

Westnat

Have you got a link for the change to the Truro/Penwith College early break up for Easter? I can't see any confirmation of that on their website. Thanks.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Have you got a link for the change to the Truro/Penwith College early break up for Easter? I can't see any confirmation of that on their website. Thanks.
No, I heard it on BBC Cornwall about 24 hours ago, but the news website for that organisation has deteriorated to such an extent, particularly at weekends, that it's not appeared there yet. I'll let you know asap. P.S. I've just had another look and see that I was only partly right i.e. only two courses are ending early, at the present time, so I obviously misheard the broadcast, for which my apologies.

Last edited:

Westnat

No, I heard it on BBC Cornwall about 24 hours ago, but the news website for that organisation has deteriorated to such an extent, particularly at weekends, that it's not appeared there yet. I'll let you know asap.
Thank you, much appreciated. There's so many rumours flying about at the moment it's hard to know what is and isn't planned.

Westnat

No problem! Things are changing so quickly it's hard to keep track. No need to apologise. Thanks for replying to me.

co-tr-paul

Truro college closure is currently only for SENCO with high needs. Not regular students. This may change later this week.This is mainly due to the fact pupils are considered "high risk". Staff are still expected in. Wife is teacher.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
The go cornwall website only list routes up to 30 number is there a reason?

Not ready for public release. Unprofessional, check all the error codes and spelling mistakes. Rushed out because FK released their times?

SimH

I quite agree with you richw. The search function doesn't work and one timetable link takes you to a Go Ahead page about a digital advertising agency which I presume is a subsidiary. Should not have gone live like that. A welcoming holding page would have been better.

embers25

Established Member
£9 daily ticket steep if you have to pay for Kernow too. Hardly the one fare, one company, one timetable promised by cornwall cc. Utterly ludicrous that passengers are increasingly likely to have to travel to and from work or college on different operators now in each direction.

MB162435

Established Member

Westnat

Travel Cornwall has already admitted it is struggling to get any custom from tourists for the summer, bet they are glad they have some of the TfC work to keep them going until things improve

All of its March and majority of its April bookings have been cancelled, looks like Trump is to blame as they were mainly from the USA

https://m.facebook.com/110406802463...282892947298&notif_t=notify_me_page&ref=notif
Is Tour Cornwall related to, or part of, Travel Cornwall?

MB162435

Established Member
Is Tour Cornwall related to, or part of, Travel Cornwall?
Probably separate reading into it, can't see that they are connected

But a sure sign that the virus is starting to effect Cornwall financially already

SimH

The search function doesn't work and one timetable link takes you to a Go Ahead page about a digital advertising agency which I presume is a subsidiary. Should not have gone live like that. A welcoming holding page would have been better.

Update. The website now seems to show all the TfC services, including the elusive 90 and 93.