• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

MB162435

Established Member
2 weeks after I send a email to go ahead cornwall help line I finally got a response,
I asked about if they would accept truro/penwith college bus passes as when there routes start they would take over essential route for students to college which was run by first kernow. (less important now that college is closed but still important for when they reopen) but they said they will not accept college bus passes, which would have meant that student would have been unable to travel to college which is sorely not correct and the Cornwall council have definitely not thought this through correctly
But Kernow gets the money from the passes not TfC or the council, so they have no reason to let you on their buses as it's a separate contract, as their view would be is that it's a pass to get you to college so that where you should be

I know the rules around college passes can be frustrating, back when I was at college you couldn't catch service buses before 9 so if you missed the college bus for some reason, you would be screwed unless the driver let you on

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
2 weeks after I send a email to go ahead cornwall help line I finally got a response,
I asked about if they would accept truro/penwith college bus passes as when there routes start they would take over essential route for students to college which was run by first kernow. (less important now that college is closed but still important for when they reopen) but they said they will not accept college bus passes, which would have meant that student would have been unable to travel to college which is sorely not correct and the Cornwall council have definitely not thought this through correctly

Doesn't that correspond with the terms and conditions of the pass that were published though? The wording is "FIRST will allow all Truro & Penwith College students in possession of a College Bus Pass to use the service as per Terms and Conditions below" so it's an added bonus that they allow as part of the deal with the college.

The other statement is "Students will be expected to travel to College on the ‘200’ series of services where such Services are operated, as these are provided on behalf of Truro & Penwith College as part of a contract. Travel will however be permitted on other First local services where a ‘200’ route provided but only after 0900 hours.

Where no ‘200’ series service is available for travel to/from Truro & Penwith College a normal First service may be used."

Do you not have a 200 series service that you can use?

Lizard1324

I have a 200 series bus but I know people, and that's why i asked that dont have a 200 series bus and they catch normal numbered buses, e.g. 16 / L1

MB162435

Established Member
I have a 200 series bus but I know people, and that's why i asked that dont have a 200 series bus and they catch normal numbered buses, e.g. 16 / L1
The L1 will go to the college anyway now, so it should actually be easier for Helston and The Lizard students to get to and from college

If students will only have TfC services from Sunday, then they could just get a TfC pass instead of a First college pass

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The L1 will go to the college anyway now, so it should actually be easier for Helston and The Lizard students to get to and from college

If students will only have TfC services from Sunday, then they could just get a TfC pass instead of a First college pass

Even without the L1, wouldn't the 251 be the college bus to use? As for the 16, would the 239 cover most eventualities?

MB162435

Established Member
Even without the L1, wouldn't the 251 be the college bus to use? As for the 16, would the 239 cover most eventualities?
230 is the Truro College bus from The Lizard, 251 is the Penwith College service from The Lizard

But yeah, there's either a college or service bus for pretty much every Truro and Penwith College student, otherwise there would be no point in First having the college contract

83G/84D

Established Member
Two TfC E200MMC's in Camborne late afternoon presumably route learning. Seen whilst I was in a long queue outside the chemists.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
230 is the Truro College bus from The Lizard, 251 is the Penwith College service from The Lizard

But yeah, there's either a college or service bus for pretty much every Truro and Penwith College student, otherwise there would be no point in First having the college contract

I think you're getting it the wrong way round. There's a college bus for every student and First won the contract; it's that just a bonus that there is/was a First service as well.

MB162435

Established Member
I think you're getting it the wrong way round. There's a college bus for every student and First won the contract; it's that just a bonus that there is/was a First service as well.
Not for Camborne and Redruth there isn't for Truro College students, they have to use the normal Tinner services but yes that is the case pretty much every where else

Lizard1324

Some people get the 16 to penwith college
And for some student they get on a 200 series bus and then too another ex first route
E.g. 251 penwith college to helston then they are meant to get the 235 to coverack but 9/10 time it leaves before the 251 gets there even know its meant to wait, so these student have to wait 45 mins for the next l2 but after sunday ....

MB162435

Established Member
still can’t where a 2** exists
Ah right, been nearly 2 years since I left so didn't know if the rules had changed, as when I was getting off the a T1 a few weeks back, a student in front of me asked the driver what time the passes were valid from on a Saturday, and he told her he believed there was no time restrictions anymore

richw

Veteran Member
student in front of me asked the driver what time the passes were valid from on a Saturday, and he told her he believed there was no time restrictions anymore

a 2** doesn’t exist on Saturdays so no time restrictions on Saturdays

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not directly related to this thread, but
1) A Plymouth-based Stagecoach driver is seriously ill in hospital on a ventilator, and
2) Cornwall Council has suspended all car park charges and time restrictions in parking zones, as of three minutes ago'

Everything is up in the air now, and who knows what might happen?

overthewater

Established Member
Bus union calls for safe working practices during pandemic
Charley Adams BBC News Online

A trade union has written to all bus operating companies calling for safe working practices during the coronavirus crisis after a union claimed a 60-year-old bus driver had been taken to hospital seriously ill with coronavirus.

The news that the Plymouth-based Stagecoach driver had been taken to hospital emerged from a Tweet by the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT).

It said the driver was in intensive care on a ventilator.

The RMT is asking bus companies to adopt practices including changing to cashless travel, more cleaning, ensuring washing facilities are available to drivers and installing screens to give drivers extra protection.

Mick Cash, the RMT general secretary, said: “Buses are an essential service being run for and by front line workers.

"It is crucial the health risk to both the workers that run the buses and the passengers who have to travel are kept to an absolute minimum.".

Let's hope the driver has a speedy recovery.

richw

Veteran Member
Passengers are likely to be disappointed with the Go Ahead e200mmc offering, and drivers too maybe once they’ve got their hands on the First specced ones.
They’ve got no WiFi, no usb charging, no driver air con (presumably no passenger aircon neither as no aircon unit on roof), the driver doesn’t even have the electric fan. No driver seat belt.
they have the same 4 cylinder engine with the Alison gearbox as found in old Darts. The drivers I’ve spoken to report it to be really jerky!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Passengers are likely to be disappointed with the Go Ahead e200mmc offering, and drivers too maybe once they’ve got their hands on the First specced ones.
They’ve got no WiFi, no usb charging, no driver air con (presumably no passenger aircon neither as no aircon unit on roof), the driver doesn’t even have the electric fan. No driver seat belt.
they have the same 4 cylinder engine with the Alison gearbox as found in old Darts. The drivers I’ve spoken to report it to be really jerky!
Bog standard stock builds. I'm still waiting to find out what this "quality" aspect of the new network is.

Given current circumstances I think we may have quite a wait. :(

MB162435

Established Member
a 2** doesn’t exist on Saturdays so no time restrictions on Saturdays
Makes sense now, do you know what's the plan currently with monthly m-tickets, are First issuing refunds for those not travelling or just cancel the subscription until it all blows over?

richw

Veteran Member
Makes sense now, do you know what's the plan currently with monthly m-tickets, are First issuing refunds for those not travelling or just cancel the subscription until it all blows over?

There is a refund request link on the corona updates page on the web. In all honestly I have no idea as previously mentioned normal refund T&Cs apply. I don’t know if that’s changed

richw

Veteran Member
I'm still waiting to find out what this "quality" aspect of the new network is.

Cornwall council livery, loss of your own brand was one of the ‘quality’ requirements.

MB162435

Established Member
There is a refund request link on the corona updates page on the web. In all honestly I have no idea as previously mentioned normal refund T&Cs apply. I don’t know if that’s changed
That's alright, thanks for help, did think of messaging them to see what to do as like everyone else I don't know when I will be catching the bus again

but I expect like every other refund depart for every company in the world they are pretty swamped with questions in these troubling times

Although as I hope we can all agree health is far more important than wealth

Goldfish62

Established Member
Cornwall council livery, loss of your own brand was one of the ‘quality’ requirements.
CC seems to be trying to emulate TfL. The Irony is that even TfL's notoriously basic bus spec is better, eg next stop announcements, driver aircon, USB ports.

Perhaps some of these features will be retrofitted.

Lizard1324

Anyone know when tfc e400 mmc city's are due, have they been build yet? Have they even started yet?
Also is there a fleet list available yet

Last edited:

Lizard1324

ADL have suspended all build and delivery. Previously said to be June/July
So a very long time and I bet there not at the front of que as there order was only placed probaly a few months ago so could be next year

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
So a very long time and I bet there not a front of que as there order was only placed probaly a few months ago do could be next year
Surely the delay will more or less equal the length of the shutdown, however long that is.