• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Busaholic

Veteran Member
On the original pre Covid 19 timetable service 8 was showing outbound as "Long Rock Morrison's" & "Sainsburys entrance". The return "Sainsbury's entrance" and "Long Rock opp Morrison's". Not sure where the bus was supposed to go after Long Rock on the return run from St Just as there seem long gaps between it arriving and departing Long Rock.
So it is supposed to still serve Morrisons directly, outbound? They used to park up near the entrance on one of the spaces that never get used by cars, when they weren't waiting at the rather inadequate space shared by buses and as a pick-up point for cars. They certainly won't be welcome to turn at FK's depot!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KendalKing

Established Member
So it is supposed to still serve Morrisons directly, outbound? They used to park up near the entrance on one of the spaces that never get used by cars, when they weren't waiting at the rather inadequate space shared by buses and as a pick-up point for cars. They certainly won't be welcome to turn at FK's depot!
True, but there still plenty of space for them to turn on the industrial estate, with-out going to FK's depot.

83G/84D

Established Member

Seems like that from the timetable. The Williams Travel shopper bus around lunchtime stops right outside the stores pedestrian entrance.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
True, but there still plenty of space for them to turn on the industrial estate, with-out going to FK's depot.
Could be that refuelling is going to be done in Morrison's petrol station, in which case timetabling not going into the store makes it easier: Western Greyhound had such an arrangement, as do the local ambulance depot, who have permission to jump any queue, not that I've ever seen it happen.

83G/84D

Established Member
Where is the TfC depot at Penzance and what does it have in the way of facilities etc?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Where is the TfC depot at Penzance and what does it have in the way of facilities etc?
It's at the Cormac depot at Longrock, which happens to be the site of the former WN outstation immediately after Wherrytown closed.

When I last went past there a couple of weeks ago it just had a couple of portacabins and portaloos. There's no real hardstanding. It's gravel/mud.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It's at the Cormac depot at Longrock, which happens to be the site of the former WN outstation immediately after Wherrytown closed.

When I last went past there a couple of weeks ago it just had a couple of portacabins and portaloos. There's no real hardstanding. It's gravel/mud.
I hadn't realised that TfC were going to make use of any facilities in the Penzance area, but, reading what you've said, that's obviously why the terminus on the 8 is given as the stop outside Morrison's petrol station, so the bus can go to the 'facilities' on site. Drivers always used to use the WC facilities in the supermarket and, I dare say, used the cafe too if time allowed, and maybe one day we'll return to something reassuringly familiar.

richw

Veteran Member
Observations from today... the 0735 Newquay to Truro 85 service did a drive through Newquay bus station non stop at 0746. The 0800 56 to padstow left at 0807 with a 10.8m (according to sticker on the side) brand new mmc, I imagine it needs its ferry lift to get over Harlyn without rubbing its belly. I know Kernow 10.6m tridents couldn’t make it over Harlyn bridge and only 9.9m tridents we’re booked to work the A5. The hump limits to short wheel base vehicles with no rear overhang!

The double door ex London 64 plates are unsuitable for use at our drive in, reverse out bus stations. The wheel chair ramp is in the central doors which can’t be used on St Austell, Truro, Camborne or Penzance (departure side) bus stations.

Publicity is still lacking at many stops. There is one member of staff been giving that task, however he keeps being given other responsibilities, he hasn’t been provided a list of stops or routes. He’s relying on asking his friends who work for Kernow for help (he’s fortunately well known in local bus circles so has many contacts)! Many passengers are unaware of change to operators, the publicity that has been put up just says Transport for Cornwall due to covid refer to our website for emergency timetables. As most passengers have never seen a TfC service on any routes they are unaware this applies to them!

TfC have completely disregarded key workers with many of their services, the last 93 from Truro is 1640! The last 93 from Newquay at 1720. A key worker I know has been walking home to St Columb major On a few evenings when he hasn’t been able to arrange alternatives. I know we are in tough times but the government has said bus services should be for essential travel, yet TfC are not providing services at key times for essential workers! Treliske most wards change over at 0730/0800/1930/2000, yet TfC have decided not to operate most of their evening services. First Kernow have stepped in and provided a 2020 Treliske to St Austell service (2035 from Truro bus station) which was a subsidised trip to get NHS workers home!
First have kept hourly frequency on most routes during the daytime, pretty much running the core commercial winter routes to normal frequency, whereas the local authority subsidised option have dropped to every 2 or 3 hourly frequency and cut numerous routes!

jammy36

The e200mmc aswell as the new enviro 400mmc city when the ADL producing restarts and they are made.
There might be newer vehicles for other parts of TFC like Ots and hopleys

A recent ADL press release gives a little more detail on what vehicles they will be supplying to GoAhead for TfC services.

92 vehicles in total. 44 Enviro 200MMCs delivered so far. The 48 remaining vehicles include 17 Enviro 400 double deckers. All vehicles were expected to be delivered by June but will likely be delayed due to factory shut down.

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/me...oup-s-new-transport-for-cornwall-bus-network/

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A recent ADL press release gives a little more detail on what vehicles they will be supplying to GoAhead for TfC services.

92 vehicles in total. 44 Enviro 200MMCs delivered so far. The 48 remaining vehicles include 17 Enviro 400 double deckers. All vehicles were expected to be delivered by June but will likely be delayed due to factory shut down.

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/me...oup-s-new-transport-for-cornwall-bus-network/
I would think the delay would be a great relief to GCB, as they're highly unlikely to have a use for the buses in June and, even if they did, without the drivers to drive them.

busdave

Can anybody tell me, or tell me where to find, which engines (& power ratings) & maybe transmissions are fitted in the various classes of buses operated by FK & GCB, including the ones on order, please?

richw

Veteran Member
The E200mmcs (both operators) are all the 4.5 litre 4 cylinder Cummins engines. Kernows have Voith gearboxes. TfC have a stick rather than buttons.
FK e400mmcs are about 6.5 litre 6 cylinders with voith boxes

clanger68

Observations from today... the 0735 Newquay to Truro 85 service did a drive through Newquay bus station non stop at 0746. The 0800 56 to padstow left at 0807 with a 10.8m (according to sticker on the side) brand new mmc, I imagine it needs its ferry lift to get over Harlyn without rubbing its belly. I know Kernow 10.6m tridents couldn’t make it over Harlyn bridge and only 9.9m tridents we’re booked to work the A5. The hump limits to short wheel base vehicles with no rear overhang!
Do anybody know if the dart made it over Harlyn Bridge???

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Two sightings of the new little buses on Penzance area routes today. First, I was surprised to encounter a 515 on the road between St Erth Station and Village around 11.35, the first time I've seen a bus here for many years: no time to spot any potential passengers. Then, about fifteen minutes later, a 16 just outside Gulval on its way to St Ives got into the side of the lane to allow my small car to pass by it slowly but surely, and I had time to see if there were any passengers. I was gratified to see there were about eight on board, but how socially distant they all could be was open to question! Certainly the biggest number I've seen on a bus for over three weeks.

MB162435

Established Member
Two sightings of the new little buses on Penzance area routes today. First, I was surprised to encounter a 515 on the road between St Erth Station and Village around 11.35, the first time I've seen a bus here for many years: no time to spot any potential passengers. Then, about fifteen minutes later, a 16 just outside Gulval on its way to St Ives got into the side of the lane to allow my small car to pass by it slowly but surely, and I had time to see if there were any passengers. I was gratified to see there were about eight on board, but how socially distant they all could be was open to question! Certainly the biggest number I've seen on a bus for over three weeks.
Hopefully people aren't getting bored and going out for a jolly, and that it was all for essential reasons

My mum works for ASDA and that amount of people she said that have told her they have only left home because they got bored is quite worrying

richw

Veteran Member
Hopefully people aren't getting bored and going out for a jolly, and that it was all for essential reasons

My mum works for ASDA and that amount of people she said that have told her they have only left home because they got bored is quite worrying

I can confirm some passengers are going riding journey end to end and back for something to do. Or going on a 3 hour round trip by bus for shopping when they have the same supermarket in their own town

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I can confirm some passengers are going riding journey end to end and back for something to do. Or going on a 3 hour round trip by bus for shopping when they have the same supermarket in their own town
I'll bet they're not paying passengers :lol:

83G/84D

Established Member

The irony is that the old Wherrytown site is empty again. The building that replaced the depot itself has been knocked down.

richw

Veteran Member
I'll bet they're not paying passengers :lol:

unfortunately this forum doesn’t have a betting licence so you can’t claim your prize.

The plain white 68 plate e200mmc was involved in a serious crash on Monday. Several drivers of TfC saying it’s likely a write off the damage being so significant

MB162435

Established Member
Such a shame people can't hang on a little longer when it's looking like the lockdown is starting to work

Personally, I enjoy travelling around the county on buses and trains myself, but that's something to look forward to in the future

Are operators still submitting their May timetables still, or are they waiting until the lockdown is over?

Social distancing seems increasingly likely to last for another year or until a vaccine comes into production, so will likely effect passenger numbers even post lockdown

Lizard1324

unfortunately this forum doesn’t have a betting licence so you can’t claim your prize.

The plain white 68 plate e200mmc was involved in a serious crash on Monday. Several drivers of TfC saying it’s likely a write off the damage being so significant
What route was the mmc on?

Goldfish62

Established Member
The irony is that the old Wherrytown site is empty again. The building that replaced the depot itself has been knocked down.
Yes, the old Lidl building was knocked down to try to make the site more attractive for a prospective buyer.

83G/84D

Established Member
Seen a green E200MMC east on the Hayle bypass at 1450hrs. Unbranded so assume a TfC one but unable to get registration. I think the remaining FK one's are Summercourt based.

MB162435

Established Member
The first new TfC Strata has been delivered to Travel Cornwall, for use I presume on Truro local services

Images posted on their Facebook page

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1587476542747.jpg
    FB_IMG_1587476542747.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 106
  • FB_IMG_1587476547893.jpg
    FB_IMG_1587476547893.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 103