• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

MB162435

Established Member
Anyone know what routes TFC will use double deckers on and how many do they have in cornwall at the moment
I expect it will generally be the same routes as under Kernow, with a few tweaks maybe, dds have been on a few interesting routes recently such as the 50 and apparently even the 46, so seems to be anything at the moment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
I expect it will generally be the same routes as under Kernow, with a few tweaks maybe, dds have been on a few interesting routes recently such as the 50 and apparently even the 46, so seems to be anything at the moment

One was on the 45 midweek. Five deckers at Helston today & two at Penzance. Also at Penzance was an ex First Kernow E200MMC still painted green.

MB162435

Established Member
One was on the 45 midweek. Five deckers at Helston today & two at Penzance. Also at Penzance was an ex First Kernow E200MMC still painted green.
Yeah saw that the other day, expect you could get away with a minibus currently on such a short route

Did see on Facebook one of the ex-Kernow ones had TfC branding on it, so looks like it might enter service in green

83G/84D

Established Member
Yeah saw that the other day, expect you could get away with a minibus currently on such a short route

Did see on Facebook one of the ex-Kernow ones had TfC branding on it, so looks like it might enter service in green

83G/84D

Established Member

One of the ex First Kernow one's has been repainted a couple of weeks ago, maybe more since? The green one I saw today was WK18 BVA.

Last edited:

Lizard1324

The was a double decker on the 34 the other day, but only went to redruth and back to helston was probaly a driver learning the decker on the route but guess he want ready to squeeze through mullion so it changed to a single before heading to the lizard .

MotCO

Established Member
Flickr is showing some of the TfC buses in operation.

This shows YY64TXJ on route 95 in Bude. I'm fairly certain that it is operating in TfL red since the blue disabled and wheelchair accesible symbols are shown in exactly the same place and order on this 2018 shot.

(not my photos)

MotCO

Established Member
One of the ex First Kernow one's has been repainted a couple of weeks ago, maybe more since? The green one I saw today was WK18 BVA I think.

There is a green one on Flickr - WK18BVJ

(not my photo)

83G/84D

Established Member
Thanks, "BVA" is the one at Penzance after checking my photo's taken through the fence.

MB162435

Established Member
There is a green one on Flickr - WK18BVJ

(not my photo)
One of the ex First Kernow one's has been repainted a couple of weeks ago, maybe more since? The green one I saw today was WK18 BVA.
That was the one I was thinking of, belive 7 have been done now

MotCO

Established Member
I may have missed it earlier, but was it Go-Ahead / Plymouth Citybus who chose the red livery, or was that Cornwall CC's decision?

MB162435

Established Member
I may have missed it earlier, but was it Go-Ahead / Plymouth Citybus who chose the red livery, or was that Cornwall CC's decision?
CCs decision I believe, any winning operator had to use it

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Just by chance, within a short period of time today I saw the following buses of GCB, none of which carried a single passenger unless you count the route-learning drivers at the top front of the d/d.
The first, about 4.15 p.m., was the sight, driving down Wharf Road, of a red d/d leaving the bus station. Unfortunately, I had the right of way (!) so I drove round the station one-way system to get behind it and see where it was going. It travelled up Market Jew St without stopping (no passengers waiting at Boot's, mind) then decided to stop in Greenmarket without drawing in to the lay-by, and no indicator either, a bugbear of mine. Having pulled round it, I confirmed it was a PCB in Heart dedicated livery, destination blind set for CITY CENTRE via Billacombe:smile: My diverted drive continued, and just past West Cornwall Hospital a PCB Dart(?) no 255 hove into sight oos, then down by the Tesco roundabout a rare no. 8, blinded Penzance via Sancreed, though I believe it was going in the opposite direction, while a no. 16 for Penzance via Gulval was just nosing on to the roundabout.Back from the supermarket just before 5 p.m., the Heart d/d was coming down Market Jew on route 5, but still CITY CENTRE via Billacombe.You might have got FKd/ds on the 5 on two or three days a year in the past, but that was about it. Earlier in the afternoon I'd seen one of the new s/ds on the 5, a first for me.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'd be very surprised indeed if it was being operated commercially.
In view of the almost total lack of daytime passengers on this section, I suspect you're right. Not even the odd old git like me to claim reimbursement for!

Goldfish62

Established Member
In view of the almost total lack of daytime passengers on this section, I suspect you're right. Not even the odd old git like me to claim reimbursement for!
And unlike the St Ives leg of the route it also enjoys an evening service courtesy of TfC from today - no doubt also carrying fresh air.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And unlike the St Ives leg of the route it also enjoys an evening service courtesy of TfC from today - no doubt also carrying fresh air.
Over all the years I've seen it, and the 10/a before it, I don't remember ever seeing more than half a dozen on an evening journey to St Just or Pendeen, and that only once or twice. St Just councillors over the years helped to ensure it continued, and I won't knock them for it: interestingly, possibly, the one when I moved here 30 plus years ago was Jack Hendy, father of Sir Peter!

richw

Veteran Member
Yesterday at least one decker lost its top front windows... using deckers on routes with low trees Kernow used singles.
This morning there’s a 56 broken down ran out of diesel at McDonald farm. Apparently no fast flow nozzle adaptors and not enough fuel cards to go round.
Yesterday there were buses all over the place in the wrong place after services were cancelled left right and centre due to no driver. Several times there were drivers in Newquay waiting for a bus that was still in Truro with no driver!

richw

Veteran Member
I'd be very surprised indeed if it was being operated commercially.
As Kernow operated it pre lockdown And hadn’t cancelled the registration they are eligible for full government support under covid rules, same applies to A5.
What isn’t clear is if TfC are Eligible for covid funding as they didn’t run the services pre lockdown. My interpretations of the funding is they aren’t eligible.
This makes the A5/56 most interesting as with Kernow running it commercially TfC won’t legally be allowed to be paid the tender subsidy, and wouldn’t get the covid funding so will be losing hand over fist on that route

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
This makes the A5/56 most interesting as with Kernow running it commercially TfC won’t legally be allowed to be paid the tender subsidy, and wouldn’t get the covid funding so will be losing hand over fist on that route

Think you're mistaken.

First of all, if FK are running a 2 hour frequency but the council believe that a higher frequency service should operate over some or all of the route, then subsidy can be paid. It would be counter intuitive to have a situation where an enhanced service isn't allowed because of a low frequency commercial alternative exists.

Also, I can't imagine that PCB will be running a service and not being paid by CC.

richw

Veteran Member
Think you're mistaken.

First of all, if FK are running a 2 hour frequency but the council believe that a higher frequency service should operate over some or all of the route, then subsidy can be paid. It would be counter intuitive to have a situation where an enhanced service isn't allowed because of a low frequency commercial alternative exists.

Also, I can't imagine that PCB will be running a service and not being paid by CC.
They definitely can’t be paid the hours that FK run. That is 100% clear. It is illegal for a subsidy to be paid where there is a commercial competitor.

matt_splat

Think you're mistaken.

The issue is the 56 at the level currently offered is a lot more than is really required i'd understand if camp sites were opened and things were busy but i think the every 2 hour prospect offered by First is about accurate for the route but i guess if Cornwall CC want TFC to run the service they will run it

RELL6L

It seems absurd that FK and GC are effectively competing along the A5/56 route. FK two hourly, GC hourly. Mad!
And we have the supported 25 running from St Austell (& Newquay) to Fowey alongside the FK 24, but not on the opposite half hour. They are 20 minutes apart in each direction, the 25 is 20 minutes after the 24 towards Fowey but spends 30 minutes there (FK spends 10) so it is 40 minutes after FK coming back.
GC is running the full timetable but FK only much reduced. So from Falmouth you can get to Flushing (69) or Helford Passage (35) every hour but to Redruth (U2) only every two hours!

Looking at the bustimes tracker (caveats all understood) I am astonished at some of the workings involving double deckers.
The whole of the 10 from Bodmin to Launceston, via Port Isaac and Camelford - eg the first journey from Bodmin to Launceston both yesterday and today
The 38 and 39A (odd journeys)
Much of the 45
The 50, several journeys - imagine going on a 'decker to St Mawes!
The 55 between Bodmin and Camelford
Several journeys on the new 89
The 95 between Truro and Camelford
The 219 between Bude and Hartland, all day

Also, as expected, the 56, 85, 93 (but by no means all journeys) and some on the 21, 34, 36.
There appears to be workings across between the 10 and 12 at Launceston, with some through journeys on the 12 actually broken at Launceston. Maybe this is to get buses fuelled / cleaned / maintained. The 12 which now overnights at Bude appears to be a decker, the service is largely run with deckers.

Perhaps not surprising if they haven't all managed to avoid low trees, but you'd expect them to be checked first and it seems that everywhere a decker has been it has got through to the end at least once.

Watching from lockdown with great interest, can't wait to get down there!

Lizard1324

It seems absurd that FK and GC are effectively competing along the A5/56 route. FK two hourly, GC hourly. Mad!
And we have the supported 25 running from St Austell (& Newquay) to Fowey alongside the FK 24, but not on the opposite half hour. They are 20 minutes apart in each direction, the 25 is 20 minutes after the 24 towards Fowey but spends 30 minutes there (FK spends 10) so it is 40 minutes after FK coming back.
GC is running the full timetable but FK only much reduced. So from Falmouth you can get to Flushing (69) or Helford Passage (35) every hour but to Redruth (U2) only every two hours!

Looking at the bustimes tracker (caveats all understood) I am astonished at some of the workings involving double deckers.
The whole of the 10 from Bodmin to Launceston, via Port Isaac and Camelford - eg the first journey from Bodmin to Launceston both yesterday and today
The 38 and 39A (odd journeys)
Much of the 45
The 50, several journeys - imagine going on a 'decker to St Mawes!
The 55 between Bodmin and Camelford
Several journeys on the new 89
The 95 between Truro and Camelford
The 219 between Bude and Hartland, all day

Also, as expected, the 56, 85, 93 (but by no means all journeys) and some on the 21, 34, 36.
There appears to be workings across between the 10 and 12 at Launceston, with some through journeys on the 12 actually broken at Launceston. Maybe this is to get buses fuelled / cleaned / maintained. The 12 which now overnights at Bude appears to be a decker, the service is largely run with deckers.

Perhaps not surprising if they haven't all managed to avoid low trees, but you'd expect them to be checked first and it seems that everywhere a decker has been it has got through to the end at least once.

Watching from lockdown with great interest, can't wait to get down there!
I was surprised to see 3/4 buses on the 34 to be dohble deckers and of the 3 I've seen today I've seen a total of 0 passangers