• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go North East interview and assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpick

For anyone planning to join GNE at their Riverside depot, they no longer train new drivers on services 88/88A, and 516, this because the 88/88A no longer exist, and service 516 was moved to Deptford depot when the 88/88A went. Drivers now learn on services 29, 32A, 33/33A, 64, 67, 69, 95, M6/M7/M8, and Q3. Once you're signed off, you have the choice of Blue 5 Day, which conists of 29, 64/95, 67/69, and M6/M7/M8, Blue Works, which is Blue 5 Day plus ASDA Byker Shuttles, and some miscellaneous services, such as workers services and scholars, Blue Special, which is Blue 5 Day plus Saturday only scenic service 689, or Quaylink 5 Day, which is 32A, 33/33A, and Q3.

After a year, you have the choice to move up to the main "Green rota" which is everything else apart from Q1/Q2, X9/X10, 10/10A/10B, and 12/12A.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

enrag2000

For anyone planning to join GNE at their Riverside depot,,Once you're signed off, you have the choice of Blue 5 Day, which conists of 29, 64/95, 67/69, and M6/M7/M8, Blue Works, which is Blue 5 Day plus ASDA Byker Shuttles, and some miscellaneous services, such as workers services and scholars, Blue Special, which is Blue 5 Day plus Saturday only scenic service 689, or Quaylink 5 Day, which is 32A, 33/33A, and Q3.

After a year, you have the choice to move up to the main "Green rota" which is everything else apart from Q1/Q2, X9/X10, 10/10A/10B, and 12/12A.

Is the 689 Consett.Hexham service operated from Riverside?

lexy888

Hi all
Could anyone help me , I have an interview for GNE on Monday what question do there ask ? And what answers did you replie with.

Many thanks

Sio88

anyone done a Go north east interview in the last 2 months?
Hi, yes I've passed my interview and assessment within the last few weeks and just waiting on license to come back so I can start the training

Sio88

Well if you look at the first post I wrote a big list of the questions...
Also
anyone done a Go north east interview in the last 2 months?
also the questions were actually the same as the ones posted at the top of this forum. This forum was very helpful for me and I got some really good knowledge from here! Also make sure you swat up about the company they like you to know about services they provide I.e disability help, staff numbers ect.. gonon thete website there's an about us section lots of useful info! Good luck!!!!! :)

Dave2016allen

Hi. Thanks for the interview info it has helped me pass mine and now have the assessment day next week. On the written part you mentioned the scenario about the bus breaking down. What was your answer on this? And I also have been diagnosed with sleep apnea but it doesn't affect me as I get treatment for. Do you know if it will effect my chances?
Thanks

ttm

Hi Dave2016allen,

Firstly Good Luck in the process, I’m not sure about how your sleep apnea may affect you, if it’s controlled it may well be OK, however this is something that Occupational Health would look at.
You have your first check up with occupational health at the assessment day, along with a drugs test, blood pressure etc, you then also have a medical with the company doctor.
Subject to the results of this part, and as long as you’ve passed the rest assessment day ok, then GNE will send off for your provisional PCV licence. Even with some medical issues which need sorting before you are given a start date, they may still apply for your provisional licence.
Any ongoing medical issues to sort or be clarified before starting is then usually dealt with by the occupational health team and yourself. Once they are happy they will deem you medically fit to start and then Recruitment can then arrange start dates.

As for how to answer the written part about the bus breaking down here is how I answered this.....

Such as Secure your vehicle by making sure the Hand brake is on, vehicle is in neutral, hazard warning lights on, obviously switch off the ignition.
Firstly advise your customers who are onboard that there is a problem with the bus, and reassure them that you are arranging for help and A replacement bus if required.
Pay particular attention to any elderly or disabled passengers making sure that they are ok and informed.
Any passengers sitting towards the rear of the bus, asked them to move to seats towards the front of the bus where possible just to help with your passenger safety, in case of a rear end collision whist you are stationary.
I would then inform the people standing at the bus stop who are waiting to board that your bus has broken down and that you are in the process of arranging help and hopefully a replacement bus.
Make sure you inform control that you have broken down and advise them of passenger numbers onboard the bus and at the bus stop. At this stage await further instructions and reassure your passengers with any updates as you get them.

Again they are not looking for exact company standards just what you think is the common sense approach.

Hope this all helps and Good Luck.
Any other questions, just ask.

Megafuss

Friend of mine is interested in working there. What are the average spreads like?

aidan grogan

Got a interview next week and find this really helpful. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me the what the wages are?

Got a interview next week and find this really helpful. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me the what the wages are?
From day 1 you are paid the minimum/living wage through training, when you are signed off from your mentor at the depot (once you have passed your theory then driving test and the other parts, there is a lot to learn in a few weeks) your wage will increase to £8.81, then it increases every year up to 5 years.
Training lasts around 4-5 weeks - 1 week theory, 2 weeks driving to hopefully take test end of 2nd week (longer if needed) 1 more week cpc, ticket training etc then off to your chosen depot then 2-3 weeks with your mentor
Good luck, dont panic, dont take any complaints from customers to heart and enjoy it.

Pc86

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I am currently in the process of applying for Go North East and i have a Quick question.

What are the chances of once through training getting Riverside depot or Consett depot? I live inbetween them both and are the easiest to commute to either by bus or by bike. I dont really want anything else as it would mean commuting by car.

Also, do you get lockers at the depots? I would be commuting by bike on the early starts so would need to either store my uniform or iron it before going out. Is this ever an issue? I am assuming everyone still has to wear shirt and tie!

deanmachine

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I am currently in the process of applying for Go North East and i have a Quick question.

What are the chances of once through training getting Riverside depot or Consett depot? I live inbetween them both and are the easiest to commute to either by bus or by bike. I dont really want anything else as it would mean commuting by car.

Also, do you get lockers at the depots? I would be commuting by bike on the early starts so would need to either store my uniform or iron it before going out. Is this ever an issue? I am assuming everyone still has to wear shirt and tie!

Riverside is probably a good shout, they had a large increase of PVR earlier in the year, whereas Consett might not have as many spaces due to their PVR decreasing after leaving Stanley. Not sure about Consett but Riverside doesn't have quite as many lockers as drivers, but I know for a fact that many drivers bike in, and there's a shower available at Riverside depot, I think. There's also early morning/late evening staff pickups in the Gateshead Borough/South Tyneside/Newcastle areas, so you shouldn't need to rely on a car to get to work, I certainly didn't when I first started at my depot with GNE.

Pc86

Riverside is probably a good shout, they had a large increase of PVR earlier in the year, whereas Consett might not have as many spaces due to their PVR decreasing after leaving Stanley. Not sure about Consett but Riverside doesn't have quite as many lockers as drivers, but I know for a fact that many drivers bike in, and there's a shower available at Riverside depot, I think. There's also early morning/late evening staff pickups in the Gateshead Borough/South Tyneside/Newcastle areas, so you shouldn't need to rely on a car to get to work, I certainly didn't when I first started at my depot with GNE.

Thank you very much! I’m literally not fussed which depot I go to as I live in chopwell so it’s 50/50 either way for myself.

How do the pickups work? I would assume it wouldn’t come out as far as chopwell, or does the driver coming in from the furthest away get a motor to pickup on the way in?

deanmachine

Thank you very much! I’m literally not fussed which depot I go to as I live in chopwell so it’s 50/50 either way for myself.

How do the pickups work? I would assume it wouldn’t come out as far as chopwell, or does the driver coming in from the furthest away get a motor to pickup on the way in?

I can't remember off the top of my head if it comes to Chopwell, but it definitely comes to South Shields, which is a left over from when there was a depot there, so Chopwell being not too far from Winlaton where another depot used to be more recently I can't see that being a problem. Basically you text the Leading Drivers the day before your shift requesting a pickup at a set time/location and they send out a bus to pick you up, picks up quite a few drivers though so takes a while to get in, but means you don't have to drive in! Same for dropping off after a back shift too.

Pc86

Hi All,

Following a very long gap between my initial application and now, I have just been offered a job working out of the consett depot.

I am struggling to find out what routes run out of consett. Does anyone know what services they run?

NewcastleOne

Hi All,

Following a very long gap between my initial application and now, I have just been offered a job working out of the consett depot.

I am struggling to find out what routes run out of consett. Does anyone know what services they run?
16/16a,X5,X15,X30,X31,X32,X45,X46,X47,
X70,X71,X72,V1,V2,V3,V4,V5,V9,V11 Durham Cathedral service (40/40a/40b) along with scholar services.

also well done for getting the job.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Hi All,

Congratulations on getting the job.

Pc86

Thanks all!

It’s £9.04 an hour and any rest day worked is around a pound an hour more. Not the best but if it was about the money I’d stay at my current job!

notadriver

Established Member
It’s good to know what the going rate is for the area.

Out of curiosity does anyone here think £9 an hour should be the rate of pay for a highly skilled bus driver ?

buslad1988

It’s good to know what the going rate is for the area.

Out of curiosity does anyone here think £9 an hour should be the rate of pay for a highly skilled bus driver ?
Have to say IMO that’s a pretty poor starter rate?! I assume this rises considerably after a probation period or something?

For somewhere the size of Newcastle thought it’d be a better rate. Does anyone know how Stagecoach compares in the area?

Of course money isn’t everything but for a skilled, qualified job with the responsibility a bus driver has these days you can see why folk jack it in on wages like that.

But wish you all the best and success with your new job! Enjoying it is the main thing and one piece of advice... don’t let the b******s grind you down!

Status
Not open for further replies.