• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Going to Olympic Park (advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoag

We are going to the Olympic park for a 10am event tomorrow. We are coming in to Marylebone. The games travel planner reckons;

Marylebone -> Baker Street -> Met -> Aldgate -> Liverpool Street and out to the park.

I was thinking that this would be more efficient/quicker

Marylebone -> Baker Street -> Met -> St. Pancras -> Javelin and out.

I would have thought this should be quicker and haven't used the Javelin and would like to try it.

Anybody care to advise.. is this better? What have the Javelins been like for queuing and crowding (saw an article in the T'graph to say its been bad but papers always try to sensationalize things).

And whats the shuttle like at about 8 in the morning outwards?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pendolino

I got the Javelin back to St Pancras from the Olympic Park a few days back, no queueing (although there was a long wait for the train but that was down to trespassers somewhere or other), but then that was late afternoon so maybe not typical of the peak flows am and pm.

It was less crowded than taking the Central Line that I used on the way there, plus it feels more like part of the Olympic experience than going on the tube.

clagmonster

Established Member
Personally, I would walk Marylebone-Baker St rather than use the Bakerloo.

If you do go via Liverpool St, I would aim for a BR train rather than the Central line.

rdwarr

How about walk to Baker Street then the H&C to West Ham? I think this is closer to the park than Stratford but I guess it depends on which bit of the park you want.
There were big queues for Javelins when I passed through St Pancras at 8.30am on Friday.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How about walk to Baker Street then the H&C to West Ham? I think this is closer to the park than Stratford but I guess it depends on which bit of the park you want.

It isn't closer to any part of the park than Stratford, but is advised as it's less busier.

The Games journey planner has been designed to offer different suggestions for different journeys, in order to spread out customers across the different options.

barrykas

Established Member
You have to be very careful when using the Spectator Journey Planner. Had a couple looking to go to Greenwich Park and it came up with getting the Bakerloo Line to Waterloo, then the Northern Line to Charing Cross, then a train to Blackheath and walk from there!

radamfi

Established Member
Another option, if are not in a rush, is to get the DLR to Royal Victoria and get the dedicated shuttle from there to Stratford (Greenway Transport Hub). This way you benefit by entering via the quieter Greenway Gate (as if you had gone to West Ham) but don't have the long walk from West Ham.

island

Veteran Member
Oh dear! The journey planner does seem odd this weekend; I was trying to use it for various things and it just would not route anyone via Lewisham.

EM2

Established Member
Here's an option which isn't often advised.
Central Line to Leyton. Come out of the station, cross the road, turn right.
About 200m up is Leyton library, turn left, go past the Nissan garage, and then go across the bridge, on the right-hand side of the road. Carry on about 400m, and the Eton Manor gate is on your right. You come into the park right by the velodrome.
In total, less than twenty minutes walk from getting off at Leyton.

Essexman

Established Member
I'd do Baker St - West Ham.
It's about 20 minutes walk along the Greenway from West Ham - and I nice atmosphere with volunteers greeting peopel all the way.

The Colonel

About 200m up is Leyton library, turn left, go past the Nissan garage, and then go across the bridge, on the right-hand side of the road. Carry on about 400m, and the Eton Manor gate is on your right. You come into the park right by the velodrome.

Might explain why I had a couple of people asking for tickets to Leyton today.

How far is Hackney Wick from the Eton Manor gate?

tony_mac

Established Member
I took the Overground (via Highbury & Islington) at about 5pm on Saturday.
In the rear coach it was absolutely fine, just a handful of people standing.

While Stratford was obviously very busy, it was moving freely, and there weren't actually any queues getting into the park.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How far is Hackney Wick from the Eton Manor gate?
I'd think that from Hackney Wick, the best gate to use is probably the Victoria Gate, although bear in mind the restrictions on boarding westbound trains after 13.00 daily at Hackney Wick Overground station.

BBC News says it's a 10 - 15 Min walk: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19048816

There's a signposted route from Victoria Park, and the gate itself is by the bridge at Old Ford Lock (where the Big Breakfast house is).

Simon11

Established Member
Having done the walk numerous time, there is a quicker way. From the station, cross at the lights and turn right. Turn left head down the steps passed subway and skirting around asda on your right. From asda entrance, cross the car park diagonally and turn right at the roundabout. There are lots of white food tents on the right and keep going towards the next roundabout. The bridge described above will be on your left!

mirodo

There's a good post here which gives you an idea of the best gate to choose depending on which venue you're visiting - you may wish to choose an appropriate journey itinerary depending on where you want to enter the park.

twoag

Cheers for all the advice... much appreciated... We did end up using the Javelin both ways and Met from Baker Street...

Organization was fantastic... no waiting at any point, javelin back to St. Pancras during mid afternoon was really quiet... Really impressed... and a credit to all those involved...

Status
Not open for further replies.