• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Goings on at Dundee

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
There was a feature in the local paper the other day about how things are going to develop at Dundee station in the next few years.

It'll start at Christmas with a 56-hour possession to allow the removal and replacement of a 19th-century bridge that carries part of the Riverside Roundabout next to the station.

Then in early 2013, construction will start on a temporary concourse, which as far as I can tell will make use of the old Red Star parcels depot as a means of accessing the platforms. This will allow the current concourse to be demolished, in anticipation of removing the second bridge.

Then, in summer 2013, work will start on the new concourse and hotel development, which as it stands looks like this:

Screen-shot-2012-04-16-at-23.32.30.png

newspic_2008.jpg

As you can imagine, it's had a mixed reaction, but it's a massive improvement from this, IMHO:

news_1990.jpg

In some ways, it's disappointing that it'll stay in the current location, because there's a long walk down to the bay platforms and the London end of EC services (meaning a treck for First Class passengers). A few years back, they built offices on the old car park in a location that was more central to the platforms and would have been ideal for a new concourse.

Anyway, I thought it would be good to start this to keep track of how things pan out, if they ever get as far as the above images :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

p123

It's nice to see change, and I'm sure the new station will be very practical and have all mod cons...

However!

I do quite like the current station building. I always thought it looked like what people in the 80's thought the future would look like, complete with flying cars and such...

dalmahoyhill

ahh good old sketch up makes every building look the same.

I like the glazing and concourse. Building looks like any other office block built in the last 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.