Gold Card - Railcard discount query

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Fiyero, 28 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiyero

Fiyero Member

Sorry if this isn't the right section. I have an annual Gold Card and am aware that with the changes that came in in January I can get £20 off a railcard for me or a friend. Can I do that if I already took up the old offer of a Partner network railcard? (Goldcard is June 2014 - 2015 and I got the partner card soon after getting it)
    I have a friend who would find a Friends and Family Railcard really useful :D

2. guilbert

guilbert Member

The rule was that you could only get one partner card per gold card so you will be definitely be entitled to one once you renew in June anyway.

Did they actually mark your gold card? The last few times I got a partner card they just wanted to see that I had a gold card - they didn't actually mark it or record the number, so I don't think they would have any way of knowing if I had tried to buy more than one.

3. Fiyero

Fiyero Member

It was quite a while back, I think I remember them typing in my goldcard number. Definitely no marks on the card though.

4. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That would be fraudulent, wouldn't it?

5. Fiyero

Fiyero Member

I don't know whether it is allowed or not, not trying to break the rules. They used to let you have a partner card now you can get a discount of any railcard, it isn't clear if the fact I have had a partner card precludes me from the new discount

6. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

NRE says (my bold):
    It's perhaps a little ambiguous, but it would be fair to include the £1 Network Railcard as a 'discounted Railcard', and thus the new "benefit" cannot be used if this has already been taken up.

That said, you can always ask at the ticket office - if you're clear that you've had a Network card under the old scheme there's no harm in asking.

FWIW the last time I got the £1 Network card the clerk said not to worry about keeping the receipt, as if it's lost I can just pay £1 for a new one rather than £10 for a replacement.

7. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes, I think that is a good suggestion.

I doubt that it is intended you get multiple discounted Railcards, but if you enquire at a ticket office and make it clear that you had a £1 Network Railcard before, then if the clerk agrees to sell you a £10 F&F Railcard you can't really be faulted.

8. Fiyero

Fiyero Member

Thanks everyone. I think I might email the gold card helpline, I'd be happier having it in writing and as mentioned if they do say no I don't have too long to wait until I can do it

9. shadzz

shadzz Member

Well I tried that in Feb, but the clerk refused to do so. Actually I even paid as she had confirmed initially that I would be entitled to do it, but when she looked in the back of my Gold Record, she got confused and cancelled the whole thing.
    I guess it might be just luck.

10. causton

causton Established Member

I was explicitly told that yes, people who claimed the £1 offer can claim the £10 offer.

Great, this simplified railway system, isn't it? ;)

11. Fiyero

Fiyero Member

South West Trains Gold Card helpline emailled me back and said you cannot have it if you already got the partner card. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.