• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Golden Ticket Competition To Win A Years Free Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Exclusion of the sleepers is a bit of a surprise - and a spanner in the works!
The same restriction applies to "normal" All Line Passes (and Silver Status Passes for that matter), though holders of those have the option of paying a berth supplement.

Other restrictions are per the Staff Travel Restrictions in the Rail Staff Travel section of the RDG site: https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/rst/where-can-i-go.html#Restrictions

Incidentally, the competition URL given in the staff brief is http://nationalrail.co.uk/goldenticket. Anyone having problems with the link provided earlier in the thread could try that instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Exactly the same as any train ticket which is valid for whom it was obtained.
Train tickets issued under the NRCoT can be sold or transferred provided they're unused provided they're not sold for more than face value.

SussexMan

Those T & Cs are a mess:

• The prize will be issued to the winner
  • The winner will be notified via the email address provided
  • The prize is non-transferable and must not be sold, changed or exchanged for money.
  • Participants can nominate someone to receive the prize by entering the reason why they feel they are a deserving winner. The nominator must enter their own contact details and not those of their nominee.

So we have "participants", "winner", "nominee" and "nominator".
The competition organisers only have contact details for the participant and if it involves a nominee, the nominator. But as the winner will be notified by the email address provided, the nominee cannot be the winner and according to the rules the nominator can't transfer the ticket to the nominee.

What a mess.

One assumes the ticket will be personal to a named person - but I didn't name my nominee - just stated my relationship to them. And they are under 18 but that's not against the T & Cs.

Last edited:

Egg Centric

Those T & Cs are a mess:

• The prize will be issued to the winner
  • The winner will be notified via the email address provided
  • The prize is non-transferable and must not be sold, changed or exchanged for money.
  • Participants can nominate someone to receive the prize by entering the reason why they feel they are a deserving winner. The nominator must enter their own contact details and not those of their nominee.

The competition organisers only have contact details for the participant and if it involves a nominee, the nominator. But as the winner will be notified by the email address provided, the nominee cannot be the winner and according to the rules the nominator can't transfer the ticket to the nominee.

What a mess.

One assumes the ticket will be personal to a named person - but I didn't name my nominee - just stated my relationship to them. And they are under 18 but that's not against the T & Cs.

Just nominate "Egg Centric c/o RailForums" and it's all good

XAM2175

Established Member

One imagines that there will be some correspondence between the organisers and the person whose details were drawn before the actual pass is issued.

londonbridge

Established Member
But not valid on Merseyrail!

The other exclusions are less surprising (full list : Eurostar, Hull, Grand Central, Merseyrail, Tyne and Wear Metro, Light Rail and Tramway Systems, Heritage, Sleeper or Charter train services, Glasgow Underground, Docklands Light Railway, London Underground.)
So no go on the Bluebell or IoW steam trains then……but valid on HS1? What about Northern Ireland??

Last edited:

Joe Paxton

Established Member
So no go on the Bluebell or IoW steam trains then……but valid on HS1? What about Northern Ireland??

Valid on HS1 domestic services i.e. Southeastern Highspeed, yes. Not on Eurostar.

No to Northern Ireland.

"The winner will receive one of the Golden Ticket artworks and a train ticket that can be used on the National Rail train services of all franchised train operating companies."

NI Railways is not a franchised TOC.

This could be stated in a much clearer manner in the FAQs and T&Cs, no doubt.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Could the restrictions make using the ticket quite difficult, depending on where you stay and want to go?

I think a layperson might have difficulty understanding the restrictions and conditions. Perhaps railway enthusiasts should be given preference.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Could the restrictions make using the ticket quite difficult, depending on where you stay and want to go?

I think a layperson might have difficulty understanding the restrictions and conditions. Perhaps railway enthusiasts should be given preference.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

londonbridge

Established Member

As some members may know I’m a London based Sunderland fan, so for home games I’d be restricted to LNER to Newcastle and then Northern (unless I paid the metro fare).

MikeWM

Established Member
I only just remembered to do this :-/

Anyone here won yet? :)

The exile

Established Member
I only just remembered to do this :-/

Anyone here won yet?

Although I haven't exactly been spending all day, every day looking. I'm surprised not to have seen any kind of publicity about "lucky winners"!

And have given up hope, of course....

The exile

Established Member

Kite159

Veteran Member
Seems one of the winners is actually making use of the ticket, and it wasn't won by one of those serial competition entry people whose only use of the trains is infrequent, every other months to pop to the nearby big city to celebrate a big win

Status
Not open for further replies.