• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go North East

DanNCL

Established Member
The changes to the 28/28A are a very poor move. Those routes are well used for travel from Birtley to Pelton and Beamish (the village, not the museum) and in the case of of the 28 provide a direct link from those areas to the QE hospital which is also well used. Those changes will lead to a lot of people, myself included, ditching the bus and switching to the car, as they remove well used links from the bus network.

Sadly it doesn’t surprise me though. It’s a route that needs subsidising thanks to the high number of people on it being free pass holders, and Gateshead and Durham (despite being under the same political control) seem completely incapable of working together to fund anything that crosses the border between the two local authority areas. It’s not just bus funding that applies to - many of the roads that cross the border are in desperate need of resurfacing, which hasn’t been done as the two authorities won’t agree on which one should pay.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
I don't know how much cross Durham trade there would be but it's a canny move as there may be some interest in a direct route to destinations towards Newcastle (as there is from West Auckland to spots east of Bishop) and it's not as if it's a direct copy in frequency either.

The 49/49A was traditionally one of the killer services for Durham but I suspect it's not quite as strong as once it was. Still, it's a real challenge for Arriva who have been impotent in earlier incursions by Go North East. We shall see if this generates any sort of response.

Sound points

I wondered about mentioning potential Newcastle trade, but thought that the "all stops" nature of the 21 would make it unattractive - maybe one for the "Twirlies" I guess?

Last time I was in Durham it reminded me of Shrewsbury, a place where the picturesque centre is more of a "tourist" honeypot and the "big shops" are in retail parks on the fringes (like Bishop Auckland too, without quite so many tourists), so maybe a cross town line will work here - what would you recommend GNE pick as their next battle if Arriva don't retaliate to this one @TheGrandWazoo ?

Zamracene749

Sound points

I wondered about mentioning potential Newcastle trade, but thought that the "all stops" nature of the 21 would make it unattractive - maybe one for the "Twirlies" I guess?

Last time I was in Durham it reminded me of Shrewsbury, a place where the picturesque centre is more of a "tourist" honeypot and the "big shops" are in retail parks on the fringes (like Bishop Auckland too, without quite so many tourists), so maybe a cross town line will work here - what would you recommend GNE pick as their next battle if Arriva don't retaliate to this one @TheGrandWazoo ?
It's more about the student trade to New College at Framwellgate Moor and Dryburn Hospital than Newcastle I suspect. Brandon (and Crook, Willington) were long served with the 41, then 721, then X46. The problem Durham has is that it historically had lots of joint operated services- many of these ran cross city but couldn't survive the post deregulation desire of operators to 'own' corridors- about 15? years ago the big names carved it all up:- GNE got most of the prime Newcastle services, Arriva in return got sole dibs on the Middlesbrough, Darlington, Crook, and most of the busy Bishop Auckland runs where previously all these services were interworked.
If I was to take a punt on the next cross city service to be looked at, it'd be Ferryhill....

safcwebster

The changes to the 28/28A are a very poor move. Those routes are well used for travel from Birtley to Pelton and Beamish (the village, not the museum) and in the case of of the 28 provide a direct link from those areas to the QE hospital which is also well used. Those changes will lead to a lot of people, myself included, ditching the bus and switching to the car, as they remove well used links from the bus network.

Sadly it doesn’t surprise me though. It’s a route that needs subsidising thanks to the high number of people on it being free pass holders, and Gateshead and Durham (despite being under the same political control) seem completely incapable of working together to fund anything that crosses the border between the two local authority areas. It’s not just bus funding that applies to - many of the roads that cross the border are in desperate need of resurfacing, which hasn’t been done as the two authorities won’t agree on which one should pay.
I checked back and it looks like they've changed again (although the info on the official press release has yet to be changed), the 28 will continue its current route on an hourly bases with the 28A only doing Newcastle to Perkinsville Bungalows.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/services/GNE/28?date=2021-09-22&direction=inbound

Apparently GNE are looking to run some services on the a commercial bases so that might also save the 71, among other services.

DanNCL

Established Member
I checked back and it looks like they've changed again (although the info on the official press release has yet to be changed), the 28 will continue its current route on an hourly bases with the 28A only doing Newcastle to Perkinsville Bungalows.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/services/GNE/28?date=2021-09-22&direction=inbound

Apparently GNE are looking to run some services on the a commercial bases so that might also save the 71, among other services.
That's good if that's what's happening. Not the end of the world if the 28A doesn't continue through to Chester-le-Street, the 28 is the main one.

safcwebster

That's good if that's what's happening. Not the end of the world if the 28A doesn't continue through to Chester-le-Street, the 28 is the main one.
I was surprised when the changes were announced that Beamish was being dropped and I'm glad its still going to have 3 buses an hour to it (2 from the 8 and 1 from the 28). It will help on event days!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bristol LHS

If I was to take a punt on the next cross city service to be looked at, it'd be Ferryhill....

Proper tanks-on-lawns that would be. Difficult to see what GNE could extend though - Prince Bishops and Durham Diamond are both long, slow routes as is. X5/15 might be an option, but other than the hospital, doesn’t open up many links beyond Durham City Centre. I was interested to see the promise of branded buses etc for X22 (Durham-MetroCentre) - didn’t seem like a core route, only an hourly service at present, but if frequency were increased maybe a Ferryhill - Durham - MetroCentre express could be sold as something more than a direct hit on Arriva…

cnjb8

Established Member
I’m on holiday in Northumberland at the moment and an X22 Voyager OmniDekka passed me on the A1. It had one or two people on it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Sound points

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this. If I'm honest, the suggestion of another poster for Ferryhill, or perhaps an extension to Crook to resurrect the old X46/721 wouldn't be bad shouts.

IIRC, there was a spell where Arriva (in their stupidity) decided to route the Crook to Durham service via Brandon, and Go NE decided to run a direct service instead (credit to photographer); Arriva quickly backtracked and restored the 46 and 49 to their old routes

RELL6L

I have been wanting to head to the North East of England for some time and finally the weather Gods shined favourably on me this week. So on Monday afternoon I headed north and spent the night near Sedgefield. I have written this in the Go Ahead thread as the majority of journeys were with them – but not the highlight!

Tuesday dawned early and I was parked up in Houghton-le-Spring in time to get the Go Ahead 20 to Durham at 6.30. I didn’t need to be this early but fancied a relaxed time in the thoroughly nice city of Durham. A rattly Streetlite but no issues, a few passengers joined and left and we arrived in Durham on time. Duly refreshed with coffee and breakfast I strolled round the city centre for a while. Not to the cathedral or castle as I had been to these in a lengthier visit in 2018. I bought an Explorer North East for £10.90, which was valid on most of the buses I intended to use.

Onwards to Consett on the 7.55 X15 service. A smart 16-reg Streetdeck took me up through the country and the pleasant village of Lanchester before the urban area of Consett. We were not far out of Durham when it was apparent that the next bus into town, an X5, had not appeared, with people waiting at several bus stops. As we arrived at Lanchester there were lots of people waiting as the next bus, an X15 arrived – and went straight past as it was full! There should have been another X15 just five minutes behind but we didn’t meet this for some time, it must have been at least 10 minutes late. It did have some space so hopefully the good people of Lanchester and Witton Gilbert (mostly students) reached their destination. Lanchester itself has a school to which many other buses were just arriving. It is clear from BusTimes that an X5 was missing from action in both peak hours on Tuesday, given the numbers of hopeful passengers I saw that would have been a problem. Approaching Consett I saw a smartly repainted Volvo B5LH in the colours of the 16, in the process of conversion to deckers just this week.

At Consett bus station there was a departures board. Unfortunately it did not include my next bus, the Go Ahead 689 to Hexham. But at about 8.50 a Solo came in and parked up in a bay close to the one I wanted. Thanks to looking at the vehicle number on BusTimes I was confident it was my bus, even though the vehicle itself was not yet offering this information. The driver returned just before 9.00 and we had quite a few passengers. We left 5 minutes late which was not good for my 6 minute connection in Hexham. We gradually got later for no particular reason with a few passengers getting on and off. We were well into double figures on board as we moved into the rural section after Ebchester – maybe busier because Tuesday is market day in Hexham. The weather, which had been sunny until now, turned misty in the open country and I was beginning to wonder if it had might the right call on which trip to take. Slaley looked attractive but was very misty. I hadn’t dared look at the progress of my next bus on BusTimes but when we got down onto the A695 near Dilston I did and was very relieved to see it was still in Corbridge and therefore would come into Hexham behind us.

And so to the Wright Brothers 888, the main highlight of the trip. Luckily this was sufficiently late for me to draw breath in Hexham. Four other people waiting for it and a good number already on board, probably about 20 in total. This is good for a seasonal route which had only resumed for the season two weeks previously (normally runs July to September). It was not what BusTimes said it was, it was FJ13EAC, a Volvo B9R Caetano Levante ex DeCourcey, previously used on National Express work. It was comfortable and brisk but had slightly tinted windows which I was worried might affect any photos (but didn’t). Totally overcast in Hexham, 20 minutes on approaching Whitfield was the first sign of blue sky and 5 minutes later it was cloudless – as it remained for the rest of the day. The single fare from Hexham to Penrith is a whopping £18 – and is worth every penny for the amazing scenery. The coach stops for a break in Alston, adjacent to Wright’s garage, I guess the driver has a coffee and the passengers have a welcome opportunity to take a short walk up to the gorgeous town centre. Unfortunately much of it was fenced off with contractors working but enough visible to see and enjoy the atmosphere of the place. And then on to the second part of the journey, a climb to the summit of the Hartside Pass with breathtaking views to the west – these can be seen from either side of the coach as the road zigs and zags! We overtook a slow moving camper van on this stretch and carried on down the other side which is stunning for miles. Eventually we reached the Eden Valley and the picturesque villages of Melmerby and Langwathby and on time into Penrith. I have already posted three photos on the 'High altitude bus routes' thread.

At Penrith I was sorely tempted by the Cumbria Classic Coaches 106 to Kendal, being a Tuesday. This would have departed in half an hour and was a DAF DB250 Lowlander. I may live to regret not taking it but it would have taken me so far away from my intended route I just couldn’t fit it in. Having got the bus between Carlisle and Penrith not long ago I took the train this time, as the bus would have meant spending only 15 minutes in Penrith or only 10 minutes in Carlisle. The train gave me 30 minutes in Penrith and nearly an hour in Carlisle with one-way walks in both places where I wanted to go. So I saw the Market Place and castle in Penrith and spent time in Carlisle exploring some of the lanes and alleys to the west of the cathedral and city centre.

My return to the north east was across the A69 corridor. First step was on a Stagecoach Solo on the short 685 to Brampton. This is worthwhile as it gives you 30 minutes in the adorable small town of Brampton, well worth taking the time to visit. Then an Arriva 685 onwards across to Haltwhistle. Some of the Stagecoach journeys are deckers but along this stretch there are few tall hedges and the great views to the north are easily visible from a single decker. This was a DAF/Wright Pulsar and these seem to me to be very good buses. I don’t know if they have any hidden issues but they feel rugged and reliable with plenty of power for what they do from a reliable off-the-shelf Cummins engine, built when Wright meant good quality. No issue with either of these on the validity of my Explorer ticket.

There was no alternative but to spend an hour in Haltwhistle due to the timings of the buses in this direction. Frankly that was more than enough as there isn’t much here. Haltwhistle claims to be the centre of Britain, ie the point on which a cut-out map of uniform thickness would balance on the tip of a pencil. But that doesn’t mean there is anything to see, so it gave a chance to eat and draw breath. Then onwards on the AD122 Hadrians Wall bus. This was an extra fare as the Explorer North East isn’t valid on the AD122, which is a bit strange, but I wanted to sample this and see the more scenic route to the north. In part it is a tour of car parks for visiting spots, such as Walltown, The Sill and Housesteads, where you can alight and see more. But even from the road there are places where you can see the wall and the scenery, again looking north, is pretty spectacular. The route is run by Solos and we had quite a few passengers, mainly who had been on walks along the wall and were returning either to their cars or home.

From Hexham it was now a case of heading back, I took an X84 to the north of the Tyne including some surprisingly narrow roads between Ovington and Ovingham. This was a pretty new E400 and, for an ‘against the flow’ journey carried quite a few passengers, some heading into Newcastle for a night out. No time to explore Newcastle, just back to Houghton-le-Spring on the X1. No problems for me but there did appear to be some buses missing from the schedule, with quite a long gap between meeting buses on one section and at Washington bus station the last X1 to Peterlee was parked up and clearly didn’t make it there. This was the first week of the X1 extending to Peterlee and Dalton Park so maybe not much custom lost but not ideal. Back at Houghton-le-Spring at 7.30, just as it was getting dark. A short drive through the Tyne Tunnel to stay near Cramlington for part 2….

A thoroughly enjoyable day. I cannot commend the 888 highly enough, it is stunning, but you only have another couple of weeks to sample it this year. The 889 between Alston and Hexham via Nenthead looks like it goes even higher and looks pretty scenic, this only runs on Tuesdays but can be combined with the 681 from Alston to Haltwhistle. Maybe another time…..

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I have been wanting to head to the North East of England for some time and finally the weather Gods shined favourably on me this week. So on Monday afternoon I headed north and spent the night near Sedgefield. I have written this in the Go Ahead thread as the majority of journeys were with them – but not the highlight!

Tuesday dawned early and I was parked up in Houghton-le-Spring in time to get the Go Ahead 20 to Durham at 6.30. I didn’t need to be this early but fancied a relaxed time in the thoroughly nice city of Durham. A rattly Streetlite but no issues, a few passengers joined and left and we arrived in Durham on time. Duly refreshed with coffee and breakfast I strolled round the city centre for a while. Not to the cathedral or castle as I had been to these in a lengthier visit in 2018. I bought an Explorer North East for £10.90, which was valid on most of the buses I intended to use.

Onwards to Consett on the 7.55 X15 service. A smart 16-reg Streetdeck took me up through the country and the pleasant village of Lanchester before the urban area of Consett. We were not far out of Durham when it was apparent that the next bus into town, an X5, had not appeared, with people waiting at several bus stops. As we arrived at Lanchester there were lots of people waiting as the next bus, an X15 arrived – and went straight past as it was full! There should have been another X15 just five minutes behind but we didn’t meet this for some time, it must have been at least 10 minutes late. It did have some space so hopefully the good people of Lanchester and Witton Gilbert (mostly students) reached their destination. Lanchester itself has a school to which many other buses were just arriving. It is clear from BusTimes that an X5 was missing from action in both peak hours on Tuesday, given the numbers of hopeful passengers I saw that would have been a problem. Approaching Consett I saw a smartly repainted Volvo B5LH in the colours of the 16, in the process of conversion to deckers just this week.

At Consett bus station there was a departures board. Unfortunately it did not include my next bus, the Go Ahead 689 to Hexham. But at about 8.50 a Solo came in and parked up in a bay close to the one I wanted. Thanks to looking at the vehicle number on BusTimes I was confident it was my bus, even though the vehicle itself was not yet offering this information. The driver returned just before 9.00 and we had quite a few passengers. We left 5 minutes late which was not good for my 6 minute connection in Hexham. We gradually got later for no particular reason with a few passengers getting on and off. We were well into double figures on board as we moved into the rural section after Ebchester – maybe busier because Tuesday is market day in Hexham. The weather, which had been sunny until now, turned misty in the open country and I was beginning to wonder if it had might the right call on which trip to take. Slaley looked attractive but was very misty. I hadn’t dared look at the progress of my next bus on BusTimes but when we got down onto the A695 near Dilston I did and was very relieved to see it was still in Corbridge and therefore would come into Hexham behind us.

And so to the Wright Brothers 888, the main highlight of the trip. Luckily this was sufficiently late for me to draw breath in Hexham. Four other people waiting for it and a good number already on board, probably about 20 in total. This is good for a seasonal route which had only resumed for the season two weeks previously (normally runs July to September). It was not what BusTimes said it was, it was FJ13EAC, a Volvo B9R Caetano Levante ex DeCourcey, previously used on National Express work. It was comfortable and brisk but had slightly tinted windows which I was worried might affect any photos (but didn’t). Totally overcast in Hexham, 20 minutes on approaching Whitfield was the first sign of blue sky and 5 minutes later it was cloudless – as it remained for the rest of the day. The single fare from Hexham to Penrith is a whopping £18 – and is worth every penny for the amazing scenery. The coach stops for a break in Alston, adjacent to Wright’s garage, I guess the driver has a coffee and the passengers have a welcome opportunity to take a short walk up to the gorgeous town centre. Unfortunately much of it was fenced off with contractors working but enough visible to see and enjoy the atmosphere of the place. And then on to the second part of the journey, a climb to the summit of the Hartside Pass with breathtaking views to the west – these can be seen from either side of the coach as the road zigs and zags! We overtook a slow moving camper van on this stretch and carried on down the other side which is stunning for miles. Eventually we reached the Eden Valley and the picturesque villages of Melmerby and Langwathby and on time into Penrith. I have already posted three photos on the 'High altitude bus routes' thread.

At Penrith I was sorely tempted by the Cumbria Classic Coaches 106 to Kendal, being a Tuesday. This would have departed in half an hour and was a DAF DB250 Lowlander. I may live to regret not taking it but it would have taken me so far away from my intended route I just couldn’t fit it in. Having got the bus between Carlisle and Penrith not long ago I took the train this time, as the bus would have meant spending only 15 minutes in Penrith or only 10 minutes in Carlisle. The train gave me 30 minutes in Penrith and nearly an hour in Carlisle with one-way walks in both places where I wanted to go. So I saw the Market Place and castle in Penrith and spent time in Carlisle exploring some of the lanes and alleys to the west of the cathedral and city centre.

My return to the north east was across the A69 corridor. First step was on a Stagecoach Solo on the short 685 to Brampton. This is worthwhile as it gives you 30 minutes in the adorable small town of Brampton, well worth taking the time to visit. Then an Arriva 685 onwards across to Haltwhistle. Some of the Stagecoach journeys are deckers but along this stretch there are few tall hedges and the great views to the north are easily visible from a single decker. This was a DAF/Wright Pulsar and these seem to me to be very good buses. I don’t know if they have any hidden issues but they feel rugged and reliable with plenty of power for what they do from a reliable off-the-shelf Cummins engine, built when Wright meant good quality. No issue with either of these on the validity of my Explorer ticket.

There was no alternative but to spend an hour in Haltwhistle due to the timings of the buses in this direction. Frankly that was more than enough as there isn’t much here. Haltwhistle claims to be the centre of Britain, ie the point on which a cut-out map of uniform thickness would balance on the tip of a pencil. But that doesn’t mean there is anything to see, so it gave a chance to eat and draw breath. Then onwards on the AD122 Hadrians Wall bus. This was an extra fare as the Explorer North East isn’t valid on the AD122, which is a bit strange, but I wanted to sample this and see the more scenic route to the north. In part it is a tour of car parks for visiting spots, such as Walltown, The Sill and Housesteads, where you can alight and see more. But even from the road there are places where you can see the wall and the scenery, again looking north, is pretty spectacular. The route is run by Solos and we had quite a few passengers, mainly who had been on walks along the wall and were returning either to their cars or home.

From Hexham it was now a case of heading back, I took an X84 to the north of the Tyne including some surprisingly narrow roads between Ovington and Ovingham. This was a pretty new E400 and, for an ‘against the flow’ journey carried quite a few passengers, some heading into Newcastle for a night out. No time to explore Newcastle, just back to Houghton-le-Spring on the X1. No problems for me but there did appear to be some buses missing from the schedule, with quite a long gap between meeting buses on one section and at Washington bus station the last X1 to Peterlee was parked up and clearly didn’t make it there. This was the first week of the X1 extending to Peterlee and Dalton Park so maybe not much custom lost but not ideal. Back at Houghton-le-Spring at 7.30, just as it was getting dark. A short drive through the Tyne Tunnel to stay near Cramlington for part 2….

A thoroughly enjoyable day. I cannot commend the 888 highly enough, it is stunning, but you only have another couple of weeks to sample it this year. The 889 between Alston and Hexham via Nenthead looks like it goes even higher and looks pretty scenic, this only runs on Tuesdays but can be combined with the 681 from Alston to Haltwhistle. Maybe another time…..
A very enjoyable report - sounds absolutely brilliant and the photos that you shared on the high altitude thread bear testimony to the beauty of the North Pennines. That part of the day, the delight of travelling to Alston by bus, is something that I've still yet to do. However, the other parts of your day out are all to familiar to a North Eastern expat!

Lanchester is one of the nicer large villages in Co Durham and in fact, despite the area's industrial past, there are quite a few nice spots in Derwentside. I've experienced the 689 before (originally doing it as the 870 operated by a Rochester and Marshall Bedford) and it's an intriguing route as its winds out through Ebchester, then into the wilds before it drops back down into the Tyne Valley. It's one to recommend!

I don't think you missed much by getting the train from Penrith to Carlisle; it's actually a fairly dull run on the A6 if I'm honest. BTW, there are two places vying for centre of all England, with both Haltwhistle and Allendale claiming it - both erroneously as it happens! If you ever get the chance, you can do worse than having a trip up to Allenheads where the local heritage centre is located in a barn that was the former United outbase in the village, or to Bellingham.

The new e400s on the X84/X85 are really very nice machines to ride on and they seem to be doing well in gaining the upper hand vs the 685 between Hexham and Newcastle. Also, agree with you on Pulsars; they're not quite like an Eclipse but they're pretty good machines considering they're more lightweight than heavyweight.

Thanks again for the report - very interesting and sounds like you had a cracking day out.

RELL6L

A very enjoyable report - sounds absolutely brilliant and the photos that you shared on the high altitude thread bear testimony to the beauty of the North Pennines. That part of the day, the delight of travelling to Alston by bus, is something that I've still yet to do. However, the other parts of your day out are all to familiar to a North Eastern expat!

Lanchester is one of the nicer large villages in Co Durham and in fact, despite the area's industrial past, there are quite a few nice spots in Derwentside. I've experienced the 689 before (originally doing it as the 870 operated by a Rochester and Marshall Bedford) and it's an intriguing route as its winds out through Ebchester, then into the wilds before it drops back down into the Tyne Valley. It's one to recommend!

I don't think you missed much by getting the train from Penrith to Carlisle; it's actually a fairly dull run on the A6 if I'm honest. BTW, there are two places vying for centre of all England, with both Haltwhistle and Allendale claiming it - both erroneously as it happens! If you ever get the chance, you can do worse than having a trip up to Allenheads where the local heritage centre is located in a barn that was the former United outbase in the village, or to Bellingham.

The new e400s on the X84/X85 are really very nice machines to ride on and they seem to be doing well in gaining the upper hand vs the 685 between Hexham and Newcastle. Also, agree with you on Pulsars; they're not quite like an Eclipse but they're pretty good machines considering they're more lightweight than heavyweight.

Thanks again for the report - very interesting and sounds like you had a cracking day out.
I don’t think either Haltwhistle or Allenheads could possibly be the centre of England , I think Meriden claims that honour! I went to Allenheads just 3 years ago, I took a taxi (pre-booked!) from there to St John’s Chapel. Bellingham sounds great but difficult to make a round trip. I saw a decker coming into Hexham from Bellingham on the 680 on Tuesday - would be a good run- but this doesn’t seem to be a fixed allocation as it has been a Versa on other days.

Report about Wednesday’s trip to follow next week…

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I don’t think either Haltwhistle or Allenheads could possibly be the centre of England , I think Meriden claims that honour! I went to Allenheads just 3 years ago, I took a taxi (pre-booked!) from there to St John’s Chapel. Bellingham sounds great but difficult to make a round trip. I saw a decker coming into Hexham from Bellingham on the 680 on Tuesday - would be a good run- but this doesn’t seem to be a fixed allocation as it has been a Versa on other days.

Report about Wednesday’s trip to follow next week…
What time did you see that decker? Was it about 5.25?

The 680 leaving Hexham just after half past three is quite often a decker because it is a busy run (lots of kids from the North Tyne Valley attend school in Hexham), and so it might have been the return working from that.

RELL6L

What time did you see that decker? Was it about 5.25?

The 680 leaving Hexham just after half past three is quite often a decker because it is a busy run (lots of kids from the North Tyne Valley attend school in Hexham), and so it might have been the return working from that.
Yes exactly that, just as I was leaving on an X84 at 5.20 heading out towards the bypass.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I don’t think either Haltwhistle or Allenheads could possibly be the centre of England
It's an archaic term of "all England" when referring to Great Britain (and not one likely to endear the SNP) :lol: It's why there's a pub of the same name in Hexham https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101281358-heart-of-all-england-tavern-hexham#.YTvKLZ1Kg2w

As for Bellingham, me and a mate travelled there in 2015. Lovely ride up in the summer sun but yes, we spent all of 9 minutes there! A sweet place though.

Attachments

• DSCN5785 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN5785 - Copy.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 38

TUC

Established Member
It's an archaic term of "all England" when referring to Great Britain (and not one likely to endear the SNP) :lol: It's why there's a pub of the same name in Hexham https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101281358-heart-of-all-england-tavern-hexham#.YTvKLZ1Kg2w

As for Bellingham, me and a mate travelled there in 2015. Lovely ride up in the summer sun but yes, we spent all of 9 minutes there! A sweet place though.
It's not ar all archaic to refer to England, as opposed to the UK, when England was what I meant, anymore than the SNP talking about Scotland.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's not ar all archaic to refer to England, as opposed to the UK, when England was what I meant, anymore than the SNP talking about Scotland.
Erm....it wasn't in response to you :lol:

I'd referred to Haltwhistle/Allenheads as being the Heart of All England whilst @RELL6L was suggesting that Meriden or its environs could only really be the centre of England. I explained that All England is an archaic phrase to describe the Great Britain, as referenced by the pub in Hexham, rather than England as we currently regard it.

kez19

Established Member
Of all the times I have visited Newcastle, I never knew that the 309(?) goes by the Silverlink Biodiversity Park, I always thought it was only the Stagecoach 22 that went on that part of the route?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Of all the times I have visited Newcastle, I never knew that the 309(?) goes by the Silverlink Biodiversity Park, I always thought it was only the Stagecoach 22 that went on that part of the route?
The section of Silverlink (as in the road) between Silver Fox Way and Quicksilver Way is only served by the 22, but north of Quick Silver Way, you have the 309 (and other routes - I sometimes change from the 309 to the 19 along there).

kez19

Established Member
The section of Silverlink (as in the road) between Silver Fox Way and Quicksilver Way is only served by the 22, but north of Quick Silver Way, you have the 309 (and other routes - I sometimes change from the 309 to the 19 along there).

I believe that part I’m looking for is on the 309 and not the 22, I believe the section of road I speak of (I get off on 309) is outside a hotel there? (correct me if needed)

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I believe that part I’m looking for is on the 309 and not the 22, I believe the section of road I speak of (I get off on 309) is outside a hotel there? (correct me if needed)
Yes - I know that bit well because that's where I tend to change. It's served by the 309 and the 19 (I think Stagecoach extended their 1 to there as well but I'm not as familiar with their network).

kez19

Established Member
Yes - I know that bit well because that's where I tend to change. It's served by the 309 and the 19 (I think Stagecoach extended their 1 to there as well but I'm not as familiar with their network).

I believe so! Whilst in these lockdowns I done a bit of research as it was an area I had gone through but didn’t stop at but it’s good to see services are picking up there!

RELL6L

Photo montage 7sep21.jpg

From my trip last week:
Durham Alston
Hartside Pass x 2
Penrith Carlisle x2
Brampton Haltwhistle
Hadrians Wall x2

sorry, no buses!

kez19

Established Member
Does anyone know what happened today between Ovington/Ovingham on the X84 route (police/ambulance presence in the area)?

burns20

On their new improved 65 after a 3 hour wait on an hourly service, the 2020 departed on time to now sit at Dalton Park while the driver has his meal break so will be 3.5 hours late into Durham.

There has been silence from GNE social media teams.

Don't advertise a service you can't deliver.

Ze Random One

On their new improved 65 after a 3 hour wait on an hourly service, the 2020 departed on time to now sit at Dalton Park while the driver has his meal break so will be 3.5 hours late into Durham.

There has been silence from GNE social media teams.

Don't advertise a service you can't deliver.
If you read through this thread
You'll see that the bus operators are really stuck between a rock and a hard place. And with the barrage of complaints the social media teams will be presumably finding it hard to have time to post every update.
Yesterday was really nasty for traffic in Newcastle with a number of big events coinciding (Students returning, "This is Tomorrow festival" on the Town Moor and Newcastle v Leeds at St James Park). I'd imagine that the operations teams were flat out just trying to achieve some semblance of a service across Tyneside and perhaps some of the other services got neglected.
This doesn't excuse the lack of information, but it could explain it.

I do note that Go North East did tweet about cancellation of the 1920.
Service 65 Due to delays on service 65, the 19:20 journey from Seaham to Dalton Park will not operate.

You should probably direct your ire as much towards Westminster. It is our current government that have allowed a situation where freight hauliers and bus companies are having to vie for the dwindling numbers of qualified drivers, while penny-pinching with the DVLA/DVSA has meant they are ill-equipped to accelerate licensing and testing, plus not budging on additional visa opportunities for foreign drivers, and finally having it so some parts of Whitehall are unable to allow the operators flexibility to change their timetables to match available resources (which can be a rapidly changing beast with sickness and retirement). Essentially the Government are expecting Go NE to do magic, take a funding cut, or leave passengers in the lurch.

Go NE are short of drivers because it's £9.08 an hour, I could be driving for them in week if they wish, but not for that money. My next door neighbours kid gets that for collecting glasses in a bar, he is 16 years old.

Hands up who thinks 9 quid an hour is a reasonable wage for bus driving?

Ze Random One

Go NE are short of drivers because it's £9.08 an hour, I could be driving for them in week if they wish, but not for that money. My next door neighbours kid gets that for collecting glasses in a bar, he is 16 years old.

Hands up who thinks 9 quid an hour is a reasonable wage for bus driving?
I agree, to an extent. Golden handshakes and unsociable hours payments might also help.

People should be being paid at least a Living Wage, not barely above the legal minimum, but there are real challenges for operators, and this Government is too stupid or blinkered to recognise and understand that (like with many other things)

The real issue with just increasing pay levels is that the money needs to come from somewhere. So this can happen:
1. Increase driver pay
2. Required to improve fare recovery per driver
3. Increase Fares or Increase headways (more money per passenger or more passengers per bus)
4. Reduced attractiveness of bus
5. Reduced discretionary trips
6. Reduced loading
7. Reduced farebox recovery
8. Go to 2

Go Ahead doesn't look highly profitable on its regional bus operation, at around 5% operational profit, it doesn't look like the operation is being scalped for profits. If they reduce their profit margin, they lose investor confidence, then they can't borrow as much for capital outlay on new buses, facilities and initiatives to grow traffic, which pushes them further towards managing decline.

So, what's the answer?

Maybe if central Government provided some more certainty and stability in their handling of licensing, regulation, funding et al., along with some public service focussed arrangements which provided recruitment and retention funding in return for guaranteed service levels?

Or do you suggest a continuing arms race with the haulage firms, going round the cycle of service reduction / fares increases to fund it?

These salaries ultimately stem from the dire attitude the public, media, and parliamentarians have to public service, in my opinion. This is what you get if you allow "the market" to decide what a service is worth.

But I don't hold my breath for this government, and I suspect that Go NE will be stuck between not being able to afford higher salaries, and not being able to recruit/retain.

It also doesn't solve the immediate issue, where emergency timetables are clearly needed to align current resources with promises, and Treasury rules that prevent these changes without risking grant funding