• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go North West

Status
Not open for further replies.

darloscott

With Go North West using Firsts' fleetnumbers, does anyone think this could be the start of a National numbering scheme. It would make sense especially if Go Ahead were thinking of expanding. It would need tidying up though to become more logical.

I don't think so, if you look at the font the fleet number is applied with it looks temporary - more than likely the Manchester fleet will be renumbered at some point into their own scheme I would expect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alexbus12

Rosso are getting some Enviro 400 busses pained in the Pride Of The North livery. Not only will it be the same livery it will also be on the same type of bus. https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/1146484636962476032

Can't wait for Lord Hornby to start saying it's #Amazing.
In reality though, I really can't understand why transdev continue to pay the ridiculous prices for the same generic, boring livery. *Waits to get criticised of his minions.

Andyh82

Established Member
In reality though, I really can't understand why transdev continue to pay the ridiculous prices for the same generic, boring livery. *Waits to get criticised of his minions.
It’s not a new livery, Transdev have used it for a few years.

tbtc

Veteran Member

How do you know how much they pay the marketing people for the work that they do? And against what benchmark is it "ridiculous"?

As usual, any bus operator that invest in PR to try to "sell" their product get a lot of criticism from enthusiasts - how dare they have a slogan that suggests they are a great company?

Same with rail enthusiasts hating companies like Virgin who promote their services - I think some people find any form of marketing tacky.

Tall Poppy Syndrome

Alexbus12

It’s not a new livery, Transdev have used it for a few years.

Never said it was a new livery, just pointing out that I dislike the continuing boring style of livery that Ray and his team creates.

How do you know how much they pay the marketing people for the work that they do? And against what benchmark is it "ridiculous"?

As usual, any bus operator that invest in PR to try to "sell" their product get a lot of criticism from enthusiasts - how dare they have a slogan that suggests they are a great company?

Same with rail enthusiasts hating companies like Virgin who promote their services - I think some people find any form of marketing tacky.

Tall Poppy Syndrome

Touched a nerve I see..

RustySpoons

Pride of the North is a generic livery, surely? Enabling a vehicle to be used across routes as cover when a route-branded bus is not available.

That's the idea for PotN. But now there are variations to that, advertising the app, although still using the same, dare I say, uninspiring base colours.

GNW are using dark blue, granted, but their livery is hardly inspiring either. I think even solid dark blue with orange branding would look better, keep it simple and still keeping GNW corporate colours.

cnjb8

Established Member
That's the idea for PotN. But now there are variations to that, advertising the app, although still using the same, dare I say, uninspiring base colours.

GNW are using dark blue, granted, but their livery is hardly inspiring either. I think even solid dark blue with orange branding would look better, keep it simple and still keeping GNW corporate colours.
I think GNW livery can be easily adapted for route branding. As I live in Trentbartonland and NCT area, lots of buses are branded and it makes it easier for passengers. I don't understand why other companies don't do it

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think GNW livery can be easily adapted for route branding. As I live in Trentbartonland and NCT area, lots of buses are branded and it makes it easier for passengers. I don't understand why other companies don't do it

Go are one of the companies big into route branding - I am similarly surprised they aren't going that way. Maybe the plan is to let the network stabilise (I'm sure they will make changes to it, both big and small) before they start doing so?

Alexbus12

Risky saying that when Hornbys minions patrol this forum, they'll hunt you down like a pack of wolves

Established Member
Go are one of the companies big into route branding - I am similarly surprised they aren't going that way. Maybe the plan is to let the network stabilise (I'm sure they will make changes to it, both big and small) before they start doing so?

No point if franchising is coming soon. How much have Transdev wasted on new branding for Rosso that won't be around much longer? If Burnham gets his skates on (he needs to now First has been carved up) they could just run round in First colours for the remainder of the deregulated market.

Rod Harrison

It is interesting the difference between Go Ahead and Stagecoach. When Stagecoach have taken over large operations they have stamped their brand on it immediately and usually diverted new stock to them. Then they update the fleets as quickly as possible (First Wigan, Chester &Wirral for example). From what I read about GANW they are going to refurb and repaint existing stock and transfer some old stock from elsewhere. This means it could be an operation without new buses and take ages for their brand to be seen as at current rates it will take about 18 months to get the fleet repainted. I thought they would make a statement quickly.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It is interesting the difference between Go Ahead and Stagecoach. When Stagecoach have taken over large operations they have stamped their brand on it immediately and usually diverted new stock to them. Then they update the fleets as quickly as possible (First Wigan, Chester &Wirral for example). From what I read about GANW they are going to refurb and repaint existing stock and transfer some old stock from elsewhere. This means it could be an operation without new buses and take ages for their brand to be seen as at current rates it will take about 18 months to get the fleet repainted. I thought they would make a statement quickly.
Go Ahead have less of a group ethos than Stagecoach, especially in terms of new vehicles. Think this is more about stabilisation than anything but you're right, it's an interesting comparison. I'd imagine they'll crack on with the repaints sharpish as well as disposing of the old with middle aged. Also, wouldn't be surprised if new fleet will be on the agenda but it's early days.

carlberry

Established Member
Manchester is under the threat of franchising. One thing that's already been mentioned is a standard livery and beyond that who knows what wonderful ideas some committee will think up (bendi buses, dual doors, stand seating types etc, etc). Not a great encouragement to getting lots of new kit or liveries just yet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Manchester is under the threat of franchising. One thing that's already been mentioned is a standard livery and beyond that who knows what wonderful ideas some committee will think up (bendi buses, dual doors, stand seating types etc, etc). Not a great encouragement to getting lots of new kit or liveries just yet.

Interesting how perspectives vary on this stuff. Those, in the right place, all seem very good ideas to me.

But yes, they are a good reason for the bus company not to try to innovate until it's all set in stone as it would be rather a waste of money to do so.

Alexbus12

Can't see dual doors happening here any time soon. Most bus stations in GM are now DIRO stands, and with the ramp at the dual door, problems are likely to occur..

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have any operators got this currently? Not something I've seen, or heard of, yet.

I've not seen it, but as the front step of a dual door bus is exactly the same as the front step of a single door bus there is absolutely no reason why it could not be ordered.

Indeed, it's very common for ex-London buses to move to the provinces, have their rear door blocked up and a ramp installed at the front, so that's evidence enough.

cainebj

Established Member
Have any operators got this currently? Not something I've seen, or heard of, yet.

I've not seen it, but as the front step of a dual door bus is exactly the same as the front step of a single door bus there is absolutely no reason why it could not be ordered.

Without taking the thread off topic too much, Brighton & Hove ordered Wright Streetdecks since 2016 that are dual door with a wheelchair ramp at the front. The first were low height versions in 2016 for their service 1, with full height versions later bought in for services 7 and 49.
You then also have the Enviro 400XLBs at Lothian, also dual door with a manual wheelchair ramp at the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.