• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good and bad areas of Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
I've heard stories of crossbow bolts being fired at the Network Rail building up there (over the live running line of course) and I believe a pub in the area got shut down after a drive by shooting - really not the nicest area.

Not at all. Half of it looks like a war zone - it's full of burned out and derelict buildings, and any time I've been there, there's been loads of dodgy looking people around, and I've genuinely feared for my safety.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Not at all. Half of it looks like a war zone - it's full of burned out and derelict buildings, and any time I've been there, there's been loads of dodgy looking people around, and I've genuinely feared for my safety.
Pretty much identical to my experiences then - I love Glasgow city centre and the southside/west end but those northern bits are beyond scummy

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I remember watching Taggart with my dad as a kid (when Mark McManus was the lead role) and thinking Glasgow was ten times worse than Manchester for its lawlessness.

CJ

takno

Established Member
I remember watching Taggart with my dad as a kid (when Mark McManus was the lead role) and thinking Glasgow was ten times worse than Manchester for its lawlessness.
Taggart way back when Taggart was in it. That takes me back a bit...

SteveP29

I live in North Lanarkshire and almost all of the towns around here should be avoided. Coatbridge, Airdrie, Cumbernauld, Motherwell - don't like any of them.

I love the City Centre, South Side and West End. I agree with the comment that the West End is Glasgow without Glaswegians.

I used to go out with a lass from Airdrie, I thought I'd seen deprivation and run down areas in Newcastle and Sunderland but bloody hell, this was something really different.

I still make the odd mistake when travelling to Glasgow and get on a train running on A to B and have to see it all, Drumgelloch, Airdrie, Coatdyke, Coatbridge, etc, sends shivvers down my spine!!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
One area that I consider part of Greater Glasgow is Paisley. It's very close to the actual Glasgow border but it isn't very good to stay in.

15 years ago the place would be buzzing with most if not all shops open. Now the place is a dump with loads of shops that have been sitting empty for years on end.

PaulMc7

Established Member
One area that I consider part of Greater Glasgow is Paisley. It's very close to the actual Glasgow border but it isn't very good to stay in.

15 years ago the place would be buzzing with most if not all shops open. Now the place is a dump with loads of shops that have been sitting empty for years on end.

Even compared to when I went to college there in 2012/13 it's came downhill pretty quickly. Used to go regularly for shopping with my family when I was younger but there's no appeal anymore apart from when my girlfriend or sister need to shop at The Range as it's the closest one to where I stay

VauxhallandI

Established Member
There are actually a lot of nice areas in my opinion. I did a nice walk from Clarkston station along the river last month; that area seemed desirable to me, with plenty of parks and open spaces.

Datashine can be useful...

I’m from Clarkston, not a bad walk into Glasgow but not a daily thing. I wouldn’t have thought I youngster would want to live there. My wee cousin lives in Cathcart which is very well connected but I would have thought Shawlands would be a good value versus life payoff.

DB

For any city, a look at the house prices in each area is normally a fairly good guide!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Mention that Paisley is part of Glasgow, especially to my partner as she is originally from there, the townsfolk will drag you to Maxwellton Cross where witches were burned at the Gallow Green, chop your genitalia off, and flog and hang you.

The natives of Paisley are referred to as Buddies, which also happens to be the nickname of the local football team St Mirren.

Most parts of Paisley nowadays is a dump, especially north of Gilmour Street station and the High Street. Gerry Rafferty eventually escaped from Ferguslie Park, as did the former Aberdeen goalie Jim Leighton from Paisley.

Scotrail12

I still make the odd mistake when travelling to Glasgow and get on a train running on A to B and have to see it all, Drumgelloch, Airdrie, Coatdyke, Coatbridge, etc, sends shivvers down my spine!!

Couldn't agree more, though the North Clyde line barely passes through the worst of either Airdrie or Coatbridge. The Argyle line through Kirkwood station is probably the most dodgy, that is one grim area.

I am from Coatbridge and always joke that the only positive about the town is that there are 6 train stations so plenty of ways to get out of there.

Going through the Coatbridge town centre is quite the experience - damp, drab, mostly vacant stores, a few dodgy folks. The ASDA around there is probably the worst part of it all. I've never felt comfortable in the town and spend virtually none of my free time there (except for when I'm in my house). My family seem to love the place for some odd reason. Not me, leaving for good soon.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I’m from Clarkston, not a bad walk into Glasgow but not a daily thing. I wouldn’t have thought I youngster would want to live there. My wee cousin lives in Cathcart which is very well connected but I would have thought Shawlands would be a good value versus life payoff.

I used to live in Busby. Much prefer Clarkston/Busby to East Kilbride where i am now. Cathcart is quiet but theres no life there.

route101

Established Member
Walking up over the hill from Busby to the Eaglesham Road at Xmas in the snow is fun!

What hill is that? The Ryat hill with stables near Busby station. I used to go playing up there when i was wee.

Speaking of Glasgow, did see something awful yesterday, aftermath a murder in Pollok.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
What hill is that? The Ryat hill with stables near Busby station. I used to go playing up there when i was wee.

Speaking of Glasgow, did see something awful yesterday, aftermath a murder in Pollok.

Up over Cartsbridge Road. I’d stay in the Busby Hotel so would walk back late from Fairfield Drive where my Aunt lives

route101

Established Member
Up over Cartsbridge Road. I’d stay in the Busby Hotel so would walk back late from Fairfield Drive where my Aunt lives

We stayed in the street next to the Busby Hotel, its all been done up now. I remember it having the Glasgow rule of no under 14s in the bar.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
We stayed in the street next to the Busby Hotel, its all been done up now. I remember it having the Glasgow rule of no under 14s in the bar.
Yes it was done up about 8 years ago, or thats when it started. Crazy bar on Xmas Eve and Xmas Day night. Talent night was a sight to see!

route101

Established Member
Yes it was done up about 8 years ago, or thats when it started. Crazy bar on Xmas Eve and Xmas Day night. Talent night was a sight to see!

The Cartvale has been done up to , and has a large beer garden too. Seems busy when i pass.

Mac2812

On Moderation
Surprised Pollokshields hasn't been mentioned, and the area around Bellahouston Park. Was always a decent area... As long as you didn't head over to Paisley Road West - likely to get mugged their hehe

route101

Established Member
Surprised Pollokshields hasn't been mentioned, and the area around Bellahouston Park. Was always a decent area... As long as you didn't head over to Paisley Road West - likely to get mugged their hehe

Hardly ever in Polloksheilds , its not really on any main route to anywhere. The eastern end is tenements ( 3 Storey ones unlike the more common 4) and the western end is mansions.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

As I said earlier in the thread I was born and bred in the city and was never mugged once. One thing I did get sick of was the image of the city in the 70s/80s on the BBC - you would have thought from that coverage that we were all terrified to leave our houses the moment darkness fell.

Status
Not open for further replies.