• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good catering facilities on preserved lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bessie

Firstly I don’t want this thread to criticise any preserved lines who just offer a basic catering provision at stations, instead I’d like to know about lines who offer homemade food or something else which makes it a little bit special. As I’m now driving 100 miles or so for day trips it would be good to know I can buy something good at the station instead of bringing my own packed lunch.

I was at the Talyllyn railway on Sunday and was very impressed with their catering options. At Tywyn station it looked like locals went there to have a proper sit down meal on the platform and it wasn’t just tourists.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
I was at the Talyllyn railway on Sunday and was very impressed with their catering options. At Tywyn station it looked like locals went there to have a proper sit down meal on the platform and it wasn’t just tourists.

They do

The catering at the Talyllyn has improved markedly over the last five years or so

Not sure about the food (I may be wrong but I think it’s sandwiches, pies etc) but the beer at the KWVR is excellent. Though obviously not a big draw if you’re driving there

steamybrian

Established Member
I have been to many of the heritage railways around the country and found the food at all of them is very good. It would be embarrassing to state those that I found are are particularly good or bad as a change of management or infrastructure works can change opinions.

On Moderation
They do

The catering at the Talyllyn has improved markedly over the last five years or so

Not sure about the food (I may be wrong but I think it’s sandwiches, pies etc) but the beer at the KWVR is excellent. Though obviously not a big draw if you’re driving there
The on board food I had at the KWVR gala a few years back (on board the 125 Group Mark 3s) was absolutely excellent. Not sure what they do at other times for on board catering, though?

Flying Phil

Established Member
There are three main catering outlets on the GCR which are all popular with both the locals and the railway visitors. The Butler Henderson at Quorn, The Ellis at Rothley and the Granite at Mountsorrel on the Branch line. The on train catering is also good (GCR Breakfast is a treat!) both the Buffet style and main meals.

SeanG

The pub on Porthmadog station does good food and good beer.

Also a shout out to the Tanfield Railway, cheap and simple but does the trick

RPI

Established Member
I always find the South Devon Railway cafe at Buckfastleigh pretty good and the Bodmin and Wenford at Bodmin General pretty good.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The on board food I had at the KWVR gala a few years back (on board the 125 Group Mark 3s) was absolutely excellent. Not sure what they do at other times for on board catering, though?
I was on that, yes it was very good.

The On board catering on the Bluebell was very good when I did it a couple of times and the Chippie at Dungeness on the RHDR was good too. On the Mainline Charter Trains Hastings Diesels buffet car is very good as is their Club Class Meal service, hope they can re start soon.

CJSwan

I visited The Keith and Dufftown Railway for the first time a couple of years ago and was quite impressed by The Sidings Cafe at Dufftown Station. A large selection of homemade baked goods, and I enjoyed the homemade ploughman’s quiche with salad. Huge portions too!

Titfield

Established Member
Swanage Railway has a refreshment kiosk at Norden (with hot and cold drinks, confectionery and crisps) and a similar arrangement in the booking hall at Swanage Station.

The Birds Nest Buffet Carriage in the Squint at Swanage is closed possibly permanently.

D6975

Established Member
If you go up to the Ravenglass and Eskdale, the pub in the old station building (mainline) does excellent food. The station cafe at Pickering on the NYMR used to do a good breakfast, but not been there for a while.

Peter C

Established Member
I've always enjoyed going to the Flag & Whistle at Toddington, GWSR. One of the highlights of a day trip there is visiting the cafe!

-Peter

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Thumbs up for:
the Talyllyn at both Wharf and Abergonolwyn.
the Ffest at Porthmadog and Tan-y-Blwch.
the Vale of Rheidol if you use the Two Toots cafe at Devils Bridge.

Thumbs half way:
the "van" they are currently using at Llanfair on the Welshpool.

Thumbs down:
anything on the Llangollen!
the cafe on the Brecon Mountain; very poor and smelly.

superjohn

Was that the hot buffet service operated by the 125 group themselves? They did that on several galas attended by 41001 and also ran a sales stand from an adjacent seating bay.

The Mid Norfolk used to run an excellent full restaurant service of cooked breakfasts etc on some gala events. Unfortunately the Mk3 RFM they used has since been sidelined needing repairs.

I have also had excellent cooked breakfasts on the GCR and North Norfolk.

CarltonA

My votes go to:

Bluebell Railway - Bessemer Arms at Sheffield Park - good pub food and beer.
GWS at Didcot - basic but decent lunches in the café.
Mid Hants at Alresford - fairly good nosh available at the platform buffet.

Disclaimer - I've not been to any of the above in the last three years.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The fish and chips specials on the West Somerset Railway were really good about 15 years ago. No idea if they still run or are of the same quality if they do, mind.

Peter C

Established Member
I went to Didcot in January 2020 and the food in the cafe was, like you say, basic - but still of good quality. A range of different things were available (but I can't remember exactly what those things were apart from a sausage roll!).

-Peter

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think the pubs on the platforms at Bury Bolton Street and Bridgnorth were quite good?

AY1975

Established Member
There are three main catering outlets on the GCR which are all popular with both the locals and the railway visitors. The Butler Henderson at Quorn, The Ellis at Rothley and the Granite at Mountsorrel on the Branch line.
I didn't know the GCR ran to Mountsorrel. Or do you mean Leicester North?

WesternLancer

Established Member
It's not quite the same thing as it's pre booked IIRC, but we had a cream tea on the train at Peak Rail (Matlock etc) and the quality was absolutely excellent, enjoyable in every way.

Bluebell catering choices always seem very good, and I've enjoyed GCR offerings from good baked spuds at the small bar on Loughborough station to excellent fried breakfasts on the trains and nice tea and biscuits at the NAAFI cafe under stairs (Quorn?) etc.

Tempest3K

Was that the hot buffet service operated by the 125 group themselves? They did that on several galas attended by 41001 and also ran a sales stand from an adjacent seating bay.
On that occasion KWVR provided the service themselves. 125 Group have provided hot food service at other galas including Mid Norfolk and Nene Valley and there's a reasonable chance I was your chef if you brought from us there!

Flying Phil

Established Member
I didn't know the GCR ran to Mountsorrel. Or do you mean Leicester North?
Yes it is Mountsorrel - on the 1 mile long branch line from Swithland, but the Granite Cafe is part of the community run centre. Details on the GCR website.

UP13

My votes go to:

Bluebell Railway - Bessemer Arms at Sheffield Park - good pub food and beer.
Mid Hants at Alresford - fairly good nosh available at the platform buffet.

Disclaimer - I've not been to any of the above in the last three years.

I can confirm that the West Country Buffet at Arlesford and Bessemer Arms at Sheffield Park have not gone down hill in the last 3 years.

Jim-s

The east anglia railway museum, Chapel and wakes Colne has a great little caffe, I have personally drove 10 miles out of my way just to go and buy 5heir cakes, outdoor seating or on a coach, if I remember right they do a cracking roast on a Sunday too

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The east anglia railway museum, Chapel and wakes Colne has a great little caffe, I have personally drove 10 miles out of my way just to go and buy 5heir cakes, outdoor seating or on a coach, if I remember right they do a cracking roast on a Sunday too
Good to know, I may be going there later in the summer hopefully.

Journeyman

Established Member
Shoutout to the cafe at Bo'ness station, which does quite a nice range of simple and tasty meals, sandwiches, soups etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.