• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good catering facilities on preserved lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

The Severn Valley Railway has excellent food (and drink) options on-site at Kidderminster and Bridgnorth stations plus the Engine House cafe/ restaurant at Highley. Proper food, good selection of draught and bottled ales.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Agree about the SVR,, MHR and on train catering on GCR. The station cafe at County School (MNR owned) does a good cake, coffee and also (not sampled) bacon rolls, although opening hours are limited to lunchtimes some days. Whitwell & Reepham station also offers a wide range of catering (although the desired short diesel ride was not available last Saturday). Catering at Chinnor is also quite good, including their on train options.

I love the pub on Bury station. The food is reasonably priced but of course the main attraction is the choice of ale.

Platform One Cafe at Bedale on the Wensleydale is also very pleasant - had a good breakfast buttie a couple of years ago.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The Severn Valley Railway has excellent food (and drink) options on-site at Kidderminster and Bridgnorth stations plus the Engine House cafe/ restaurant at Highley. Proper food, good selection of draught and bottled ales.
Yes, used the Pub at Bridgnorth last Friday.

railnut21

I didn't know the GCR ran to Mountsorrel. Or do you mean Leicester North?
On certain special event days they used to run a shuttle service pre Covid (from I think Quorn and Woodhouse) up the Mountsorrel branch

E759

Shoutout to the cafe at Bo'ness station, which does quite a nice range of simple and tasty meals, sandwiches, soups etc.
They did me a made-to-order sandwich-to-go in double quick time as I had to run back to the bus stop for the journey home. Day trip from Sussex so was on a very tight schedule! Otherwise would have had their hot meals which looked really good.

Titfield

Established Member
The Pop Up Buffet in the booking hall at Swanage Station is closed today Friday 25th June 2021 due to a shortage of volunteers.

Previously the buffet was operated by paid staff but those posts were made redundant in October 2020.

The IOWSR has introduced the "First class experience" which involves a luncheon basket furnished with Prosecco and various other goodies. This has proved popular but clearly everyone would not want something as elaborate

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The IOWSR has introduced the "First class experience" which involves a luncheon basket furnished with Prosecco and various other goodies. This has proved popular but clearly not everyone would not want something as elaborate
I was on that line a few weeks ago and saw some people having those baskets, they did look very good.

I may said this before, but I have experienced full dining on the Isle of Man Steam Railway and the Great Central, they were really very good indeed, as were ploughman's and afternoon teas on the Bluebell and a couple of light lunches on the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway, there is also a good pub almost opposite the station at the quiet end of that line.

WesternS

Also a shout out to the Tanfield Railway, cheap and simple but does the trick
If this is the shed sort of at the railway and Causey Arch, then +1 from me. Friendly, warm, good grub (sausage rolls with shortcrust pastry and tasty sausages... mmmm) and well-priced. Not a place perhaps to find an avocado but at 2.30pm on a very cold January day, rammed and I could see why. Hope it's still going strong.

The trouble with surveys of this sort is their subjectivity. One place commended above I would never use again as it was far from clean. Expectations vary dramatically also.

trebor79

Established Member
GWS at Didcot - basic but decent lunches in the café.
Yes we enjoyed in on 2019. Basic but appeared to have all been made from scratch on the premises and was tasty. Good honest grub.
A bit old fashioned, in a way. But then Didcot Railway Centre itself is a bit old fashioned. Not many places now you can wander around almost at will, climb on to the footplates in the shed and show the kids what all the levers do. It reminds me of the preservation scene 25 or 30 years ago, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.