• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good food near stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Beverly - A nice (if a touch expensive) restaurant about 10 minutes walk from the station on Butchers Row called Dine on the Rowe. Serves British food but with a Mediterranean twist or just with a bit of twist (steak with a potato and black pudding hash topped with poached egg for example).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dewsbury station (Platform 2) - The West Riding (real ale, food, music, and very nice too)

Huddersfield - Head Of Steam (just outside station, real ale & food etc)

Leeds - There's a Convienient Spoons in the station complex
Also just up the road in Greek Street (about 5 mins walk away past City Square) theres a place called the Living Room (proper British food & very nice to eat) as well as Akbar's for all you curry lovers

To which I would add Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Henry's (also in Greek Street) - both OK. If you can afford it, there's also a Loch Fyne Restaurant (in the former Main Post Office) in City Square.

Ivo

Established Member
Aldershot: Station Café do good quality and good-sized English breakfasts, a very short distance away down the road from the entrance. They had a lot of Aldershot Town F.C. memorabilia when I went in there last. Just note that English isn't their first language.

By the way, can this thread be sticky'd please?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A couple more I discovered this week:
Portsmouth - Benjys (sub-1 minute walk from Portsmouth & Southsea) - nice cafe with good (if a tad expensive) sandwiches and drinks etc to take away or eat in. Certainly better than what you pick up from Upper Crust et al, and I thought better than supermarket offerings too.
Barnstaple - Station Cafe (inside the booking office) - brilliant. Friendly service, with all your typical English cafe selections - breakfast butties, cakes etc. Reasonably priced and a really nice place to eat at. I can only wish my train had been running on time in so I could have stayed a little longer.
Brighton - Not for a sit down meal, but I'd recommend this if you have a ten minute connection at BTN and you fancy something fast. A medium chips £1.50 but they are better than the usual stuff you get served from other comparable takeaways, quite a nice eat actually. Linky - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bri...=R76ppFPY_BkknSLdIAZVUQ&cbp=12,286.07,,1,5.96

Finally:
Euston - Double 6 Cafe, Eversholt Rd, east of Euston station - typical greasy spoon but a good, well-priced cafe convenient for the station. I haven't been in a while but I don't think much will have changed. Linky - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=66+...d=DhwHD1CFq8-0X5VTwnhRAQ&cbp=12,46.04,,0,2.46

telstarbox

Established Member
Thanks to everyone who has offered tips - I will update the top post at some point.
Any for Crewe, Derby, Doncaster, Newcastle, Nottingham, Peterborough and Stratford?

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Harvey's in Crewe - 5 mins from station - do great breakfast sandwiches, can't speak highly enough of them. There's also a chip shop on the station side of it, I think it was OK but I haven't been in a while.

Established Member
If you count New Addington tram stop, there is a great chip shop 'Quality Fish' just over the road. There's also a good kebab place over the road from Northwood tube station.

TukayAway

Farringdon/Barbican - Smiths of Smithfield

John Torode from Masterchef's place. Great tasting food at a great price. If you go on a weekday, the pies are legendary.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Derby - I think it's called Station Plaice, but whatever it is the last time I went there (way back before Valentas were done with on EMT) the chip shop across the road from the station was pretty good.

Newcastle, Nottingham and Peterborough, well I can only recommend places like Subway and Greggs opposite Newcastle (NR) station. Nottingham has a Tesco Express right next door too, and Peterborough's got an Asda around 10 - 15 minutes walk away. It's also got a Wetherspoon nearby, alas I fail to recall the directions but it's a good solid 8 minute walk from the station entrance.

button_boxer

Established Member
A couple for the vegetarians/vegans among us, who are generally pretty poorly served by typical cafe/greasy spoon type places...

Glasgow Central: Stereo cafe bar - either turn right out of the main entrance and then left and left again, or left out then right and right again (it's on the road parallel to the front of the station)

London Kings Cross: Vx - already mentioned

Birmingham New Street: VegedOut cafe - 5 mins from the back entrance, head up to Victoria Square then round to the left of the Town Hall and cross the road into the middle of Paradise Circus, cafe is in Fletchers Walk under the Conservatoire. Alternatively, for Chinese there's Cafe Soya the same distance in the opposite direction, on Upper Dean Street.

General Zod

Just to bump the thread, but any other recommendations close to Carlisle station ?

For the spice merchants :

Euston :

1. Raavi Kebab House on Drummond St, a sort of halfway house between a cafe and restaurant.
2. Palms of Goa , New Cavendish St. Good , traditional Goan vegetarian.

Kings Cross :

1. Sien Viet, Kings Cross Rd. Personally speaking it beats any Vietnamese on Kingsland Road. Generous portions, proper traditional dishes and excellent value. I have a Vietnamese friend and it is the only place that her parents will eat.
2. Chilli Cool, Leigh St. : Hot Sichuan Chinese - excellent Chinese for the chilli fix !

For anyone in the Tooting / South London area then Mirch Masala on Upper Tooting Rd or Lahore Karahi on Tooting High St.

telstarbox

Established Member
List updated :D Any for Wolverhampton, Wimbledon, Stratford, Watford Junction, Basingstoke, Leicester, Southampton and Stoke?

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Can't think of anywhere I'd recommend near Stratford. There are *loads* in Westfield and a few in the old shopping centre over the road, but nothing that I'd say is outstanding quality and value.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, and another couple for Liverpool Street. Come out of the Bishopsgate entrance, cross over the road and you'll see Café Polo. Turn left and then right at the Woodin Shades pub. On the right, you'll find the City Corner snack bar.
These are both excellent value, Polo is open 24hrs, and City Corner is a proper old-skool Italian caff.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just to bump the thread, but any other recommendations close to Carlisle station ?

Loads of places in close proximity to the station.

I would recommend The Cathedral Cafe (in the precincts) or the Tullie House Museum Cafe both "leggable" from Station (5-10mins in a straight line):p

Drsatan

Established Member
Around Exeter:

Exeter Central: The Old Firehouse. Follow the signs to the New North Road Exit, walk through the ticket barrier and turn right. The pub is around 100 metres on your left. They provide generous portions, a very good Sunday roast, and lots of local ciders/scrumpys and ales on draught. Bear in mind you may have trouble finding a table since it's very popular with the locals.

Exeter St Davids: The Imperial (a Wetherspoons). Exit the station and follow the signs directing you along a footpath up a hill directing you to the city centre. You'll see the sign for the Imperial at the end of the footpath. Cross the road and walk through the gate into the grounds. It's Britain's 2nd largest Wetherspoons and offers the standard Wetherspoons menu. I'd recommend sitting in the Orangery, which is a room with a filigree glass roof.

IanD

Established Member
Jungles at Acton Town. Turn right at the front entrance or leave by the Bollo Lane entrance and cross, er, Bollo Lane and it's there. Always get my lunch there when visiting the London Transport Museum Depot. Much better/cheaper than the burger van parked at the back of the depot (and the owners don't buy up all the decent stuff from the Friends stall before the depot opens to sell on ebay.)

At Shrewsbury there's a decent chip shop about a minute from the station. Cross the forecourt and then the main road (Castle Foregate) and turn right down Chester Street. It's in the wedge shaped building that makes up the junction of those two streets.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And Yasar's kebab shop near Blackhorse Road (opposite corner, near Rodi's) is good for eat in or takeaway.

D6975

Established Member
Paignton.
Take the road from the station down towards the sea. Turn left onto Esplanade Road.
Almost immediately on the left is a large pub with lots of tables and a play area outside. They do a carvery there for a very reasonable price. They serve you a generous portion of meat and you serve yourself with as much of the rest as you want.
I didn't bother buying anything for my 6 year old son, he ate off my plate and we both had plenty.
There's a soft play area inside too, handy if you have a little one in tow so you can have a pint or two and watch the footy/cricket/whatever on the big telly.

Last edited:

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Birmingham new street-Where the steps are leading to the area where the McDonalds is, there is a Paninni & Baguette shop which is very cheap and is really nice. There is a meal deal they do (Paninni+crisps+drink) for very cheap. The service is also very quick

redthunder

Birmingham new street-Where the steps are leading to the area where the McDonalds is, there is a Paninni & Baguette shop which is very cheap and is really nice. There is a meal deal they do (Paninni+crisps+drink) for very cheap. The service is also very quick

Birmingham is defo the place to be if you want a cheap sandwich, lots of choice of fillings and typically very nice, puts the likes of Subway etc to shame!!!!!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Birmingham is defo the place to be if you want a cheap sandwich, lots of choice of fillings and typically very nice, puts the likes of Subway etc to shame!!!!!

Exactly!, I wouldn't go to subway if it was the last food I could eat, wouldn't surprise me to know they were the type to drop your sandwich on the floor then put it back on your plate again!! :eek:

Exactly!, I wouldn't go to subway if it was the last food I could eat, wouldn't surprise me to know they were the type to drop your sandwich on the floor then put it back on your plate again!! :eek:

Never seen that happen but I get your point:) I personally would avoid McDonald's, even if I were ravenous.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You're thinking of Baguette World I think there, baguettes from 50p is a bargain! I also like the other place inside, but alas I forget the name of it now but also does sensibly priced food.

Also never seen it happen in Subway but since they make it in front of you wouldn't you notice? :|

CC 72100

Established Member
Totnes: Don't bother leaving the station, the signalbox Café serves just fine :P

Likewise with Dumfries, there's the Station Cafe on the Carlisle platform. It serves decent snacks.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
(I'd have put Shrewsbury in the "Midlands and Wales" section rather than "North and Scotland".)

If in Cleethorpes the kiosk on the station Track Snacks is very good.

And if you want fish and chips, forget the outlets on the seafront close to the station but head for Ernie Becketts on Market Street (less than 5 mins walk).

Worksop - Station Cafe on platform 2.

caliwag

York (again) Brigantes, round the corner from the station, 5 minutes walk, do good food and a fine range of beers. Check times of course, but all day Saturday. Excellent Thai one side, and a lovely Indian on other side. Ignore Saffron...health scare recently!! Mind there's also the West Cornwall pasty Co's place on the concourse!

Stalybridge, of course, on the platform, bangers and mash, pie and chips with black peas plus fine range of beers.

Falmouth, 5 minutes walk from Town or docks stations, Harbour lights, the best fish n chips in Town, despite Mr stein's presence...main street, Arwenack St.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Can only echo the comments people have made on the Worksop station cafe, I went during my ALR (I think I'm close to mentioning it in my trip report) and had a fantastic freshly cooked breakfast and a great coffee for £4.20. Much better than what I'd have got from Pumpkin over 90 minutes later!

Status
Not open for further replies.