• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good food near stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
Where are your favourite places to eat/drink near stations when you can't face Pumpkin or Burger King again, even with a Bite Card discount?

Forum members have suggested the following places!
RA indicates that real ale is available. Most Wetherspoons offer real ale even if this isn't indicated in the list.
This is a work in progress - keep posting your favourites, especially places near major terminals and interchanges, and please shout up if you spot any errors.

LONDON ZONE 1

Baker Street/Marylebone: Large and glitzy Wetherspoons outside entrance to Baker Street tube. Can get very busy but good value in this area. (Telstarbox)

Charing Cross - The Chandos pub (RA). Sam Smiths, very cheap for Central London, lovely atmosphere. (Telstarbox)

Euston: Chutneys - Indian vegetarian buffet round the corner on Drummond Street, plenty of fresh curry, rice and salads. Near Angel tube there is a similar establishment called Indian Veg on Chapel Market. (Telstarbox)
More curry:
1. Raavi Kebab House on Drummond St, a sort of halfway house between a cafe and restaurant.
2. Palms of Goa , New Cavendish St. Good , traditional Goan vegetarian. (both General Zod)
The Rocket (Scream pub). (Sprinterguy)
Double 6 Cafe, Eversholt Rd - typical greasy spoon but a good, well-priced cafe convenient for the station. I haven't been in a while but I don't think much will have changed. (MattE2010)

Farringdon/Barbican - Smiths of Smithfield. John Torode from Masterchef's place. Great tasting food at a great price. If you go on a weekday, the pies are legendary. (TukayAway)

Green Park: There's a Hard Rock Cafe near the Green Park station on the Victoria, Jubilee and Piccadilly Lines. Harrods also has a myriad of restaurants. (NY Yankee)

King's Cross/St Pancras - Camino - Spanish bar off Pentonville Road. A bit pricey but nice atmosphere; and Big Chill Bar which has a roof garden - good when it's sunny. (Telstarbox)
For takeaway Sandwiches/SausageRolls/Cupcakes/Cute girl serving (all vegan) Vx on Caledonian Road (Deerfold)
If you take a little walk into the new Regent Quarter there(not really new) there are some lovely places. A little jaunt up Cally road will also surprise you and the Ethiopian on there is amazing - but a little far if you are milling for a connection. (Clip)
Sien Viet, Kings Cross Rd. Personally speaking it beats any Vietnamese on Kingsland Road. Generous portions, proper traditional dishes and excellent value. I have a Vietnamese friend and it is the only place that her parents will eat.
Chilli Cool, Leigh St. : Hot Sichuan Chinese - excellent Chinese for the chilli fix ! (both General Zod)

Liverpool Street - varied range of Nicholson's in the vicinity (Sprinterguy)
Come out of the Bishopsgate entrance, cross over the road and you'll see Café Polo. Turn left and then right at the Woodin Shades pub. On the right, you'll find the City Corner snack bar. These are both excellent value, Polo is open 24hrs, and City Corner is a proper old-skool Italian caff. (EM2)

London Bridge: "There's a great little cafe outside London Bridge, by the footbridge that leads to Guys Hospital. Run by a very friendly Portuguese family, they do great tea and coffee, and loads of different sandwiches and paninis etc., freshly made while you wait, all pretty reasonably priced for central London." (Pendolino)

Paddington - One of the best chippies in London (with fantastic fish - so good you could almost imagine you were in a seaside town) is just round the corner - "Micky's Fish & Chips" on Norfolk Place. Surprisingly reasonably priced too. (W-on-Sea)

Victoria - Plumbers Arms pub on Lower Belgrave Street. (Good recommendation at BITE)
Mango Tree - Thai restaurant with good vegetarian/vegan choice, just northwest of the station (Telstarbox)

Waterloo - For fish and chips I can recommend "Fishcoteque" or similiar name. It is located in Waterloo Road opposite the station. From station concourse take the down escalator from opposite suburban platforms 1-4 area. At the bottom cross over Waterloo Road using pedestrian crossing and turn LEFT towards railway bridge carrying South Eastern Lines. Go past the Wellington pub and the chippy is under the that railway bridge on the right hand side. (Steamybrian)

LONDON AREA

Acton Town - Jump In Jacks (turn left as you come out). £1.20 for big cup of good coffee and an excellent double egg on toast for £2.20. Very highly recommended. (EM2)
Jungles - turn right at the front entrance or leave by the Bollo Lane entrance and cross, er, Bollo Lane and it's there. Always get my lunch there when visiting the London Transport Museum Depot. Much better/cheaper than the burger van parked at the back of the depot (and the owners don't buy up all the decent stuff from the Friends stall before the depot opens to sell on ebay.) (IanD)

Blackhorse Road - Rodi's Café is everything a proper caff should be. Tasty and cheap, and pretty much untouched decoratively for forty years. (EM2)
Yasar's kebab shop near Blackhorse Road (opposite corner, near Rodi's) is good for eat in or takeaway. (IanD)

East Croydon: From the main entrance /ticket office turn right walk along George Street (parallel with tram track). At main crossroads/underpass junction continue across in straight line and within 50 yards on right hand side is Wetherspoons "The George" (RA). Walking time from East Croydon station about 5 mins. If you prefer other cafes/chippies then continue past Wetherspoons and into the shopping centre where there are a vast choice. (Steamybrian)
Chinese buffet almost opposite on George Street called "Stirfry" which does a similarly cheap all you can eat buffet. (Galvanize)

Egham - Fantasic Chinese restaurant about 10 minutes away. (Lampshade)

Feltham: A Wetherspoon's RA can be found nearby. (Ivo)

New Addington: There is a great chip shop 'Quality Fish' just over the road (317666)

Northwood: There's a good kebab place over the road (317666)

Richmond - Wagamama 5 minutes round the corner. (Lampshade)

Shepherd's Bush/Goldhawk Road/White City/Wood Lane: Many cafes/restaurants with food from all parts of the world in the SB area. Decent British cafe on Shepherd's Bush Green. Also the Westfield if you still can't find anything you like. (Telstarbox)

Staines - Herbie's Pizza, Kim's Kitchen (Chinese takeaway) and Golden Grill (kebab shop), all superb, all ~5 minutes walk from the station.

Stratford - There are *loads* in Westfield and a few in the old shopping centre over the road, but nothing that I'd say is outstanding quality and value. (EM2)

Tooting area: Mirch Masala on Upper Tooting Rd or Lahore Karahi on Tooting High St. (General Zod)

SOUTH AND WEST

Aldershot: Station Café do good quality and good-sized English breakfasts, a very short distance away down the road from the entrance. They had a lot of Aldershot Town F.C. memorabilia when I went in there last. Just note that English isn't their first language. (Ivo)

Barnstaple - Station Cafe (inside the booking office) - brilliant. Friendly service, with all your typical English cafe selections - breakfast butties, cakes etc. Reasonably priced and a really nice place to eat at. I can only wish my train had been running on time in so I could have stayed a little longer. (MattE2010)

Bath Spa: KFC is three minutes away. (Ivo)

Brighton - Not for a sit down meal, but I'd recommend this if you have a ten minute connection at BTN and you fancy something fast. A medium chips £1.50 but they are better than the usual stuff you get served from other comparable takeaways, quite a nice eat actually. (MattE2010)

Bristol TM: As with Feltham, a Wetherspoon's RA can be found nearby; I have twice met other forum members there (once officially). (Ivo)

Cheltenham - there's a cafe near Cheltenham station - out the platform 2 exit and across the road - which did me a very good and much-needed scrambled egg and cheese baguette. (LexyBoy)

Exeter Central: The Old Firehouse. Follow the signs to the New North Road Exit, walk through the ticket barrier and turn right. The pub is around 100 metres on your left. They provide generous portions, a very good Sunday roast, and lots of local ciders/scrumpys and ales on draught. Bear in mind you may have trouble finding a table since it's very popular with the locals.

Exeter Central: The Old Firehouse. Follow the signs to the New North Road Exit, walk through the ticket barrier and turn right. The pub is around 100 metres on your left. They provide generous portions, a very good Sunday roast, and lots of local ciders/scrumpys and ales on draught. Bear in mind you may have trouble finding a table since it's very popular with the locals. (Drsatan)

Exeter St Davids: The Imperial (a Wetherspoons). Exit the station and follow the signs directing you along a footpath up a hill directing you to the city centre. You'll see the sign for the Imperial at the end of the footpath. Cross the road and walk through the gate into the grounds. It's Britain's 2nd largest Wetherspoons and offers the standard Wetherspoons menu. I'd recommend sitting in the Orangery, which is a room with a filigree glass roof. (Drsatan)

Maidstone West - Marino's Fish Bar in Hart Street is the second-best fish and chips I've ever had (the best is a long way from a station). (EM2)

Oxford: Kebabs again, although I forget the name of the place - it's by the bus stops next to the main road (i.e. not the bus station in front of the station). (Ivo)
Nowhere in Oxford can hold a candle to Kebab Kid IMO. Not that near the station - it's on Gloucester Green near the bus station - but the doner kebab in a naan is a definite win. (LexyBoy)

Paignton: Take the road from the station down towards the sea. Turn left onto Esplanade Road. Almost immediately on the left is a large pub with lots of tables and a play area outside. They do a carvery there for a very reasonable price. They serve you a generous portion of meat and you serve yourself with as much of the rest as you want. I didn't bother buying anything for my 6 year old son, he ate off my plate and we both had plenty. There's a soft play area inside too, handy if you have a little one in tow so you can have a pint or two and watch the footy/cricket/whatever on the big telly. (D6975)

Portsmouth & Southsea: Benjys (sub-1 minute walk from P&S) - nice cafe with good (if a tad expensive) sandwiches and drinks etc to take away or eat in. Certainly better than what you pick up from Upper Crust et al, and I thought better than supermarket offerings too. (MattE2010)

Reading: Cheezy Chips (or something like that anyway) is a nice kebab/fish takeaway on Station Road, although I elect for non-cheesy chips personally. (Ivo)
I'll put a word in for Tutti Frutti on the station concourse - lovely bunch and very excellent ice cream and home-made cakes. The Oakford Social Club opposite the station does good pub food, but service can be slow. (LexyBoy)

Southend Central: This takes the idea of Wetherspoon's RA nearby to a new level because it's literally opposite! (Ivo)

Taunton - The Plough in Taunton is just down station road and does good pies and sandwiches (and excellent beers & ciders; but that's another thread). (LexyBoy)

Thorpe Bay: Home Made Bakery, which has three branches in Southend, is home to some very unusual (and very nice) sausage rolls. Perry's serves an excellent sausage and chip take-away for a low price. And as a last resort, croissants can be obtained from Tesco Express. (Ivo)

Tonbridge: KC's Cafe - decent greasy spoon, does huge mugs of tea for £1 (Telstarbox)

Totnes: Don't bother leaving the station, the signalbox Café serves just fine (AdamW)

MIDLANDS AND WALES

Aberystwyth - Spoons (RA) is very convenient, as it is actually on the station (Sprinterguy)

Birmingham
New Street/Moor Street: The Pavilions Food Court, has pretty much everything.
Birmingham New Street/Snow Hill: John's opposite the law courts at the other end of Corporation Street (both SS4)
Where the steps are leading to the area where the McDonalds is, there is Baguette World which is very cheap and is really nice. There is a meal deal they do (Panini+crisps+drink) for very cheap. The service is also very quick. (ATWalex101)
VegedOut cafe (veg/vegan)- 5 mins from the back entrance of New St - head up to Victoria Square then round to the left of the Town Hall and cross the road into the middle of Paradise Circus, cafe is in Fletchers Walk under the Conservatoire.
Alternatively, for Chinese there's Cafe Soya the same distance in the opposite direction, on Upper Dean Street. (both button_boxer)

Cheltenham Spa - Exit the station through the ticket office and at the main road turn left. Cross the road at the first opportunity and the chip shop is right on the corner. I've not been since 2010 so I don't recall the name but it did brilliant chips when I last went for sensible prices. Been a long time since I did regular trips to Cheltenham so that's about as helpful as I can be for now! (Techniquest)

Chester Road: The Yenton for a pint and Atlantis Chippy across the road (SS4)

Derby: I think it's called Station Plaice, but whatever it is the last time I went there (way back before Valentas were done with on EMT) the chip shop across the road from the station was pretty good. (Techniquest)

Hall Green: The best curry place I know - Jyoti's - not expensive either. I've been known to divert from Birmingham just to go here. (Deerfold)

Kidderminster - Captain Cod (where else!) (Ascot)
"Our Plaice" Fish and Chips a further 2 minutes down the road is where I normally go. (Matt)

Nottingham has a Tesco Express right next door (Techniquest)

Nuneaton: There are 2 coffee shops on the station as well as a fish and chip shop and a Asda supermarket just outside the station. (96tommy)

Peterborough's got an Asda around 10 - 15 minutes walk away. It's also got a Wetherspoon nearby, alas I fail to recall the directions - could be the Drapers Arms? (Techniquest)

Stourbridge Town...walk through the subway and you have a few fast food (subway, pizza places, chippies etc) there in the centre of town (5 mints from stn) (Tomonthetrain)

NORTH AND SCOTLAND

Barnetby - just next to the station there's a lovely B&B that do a great steak-in-ale pie, The Whistle & Flute (60163)

Beverley - A nice (if a touch expensive) restaurant about 10 minutes walk from the station on Butchers Row called Dine on the Rowe. Serves British food but with a Mediterranean twist or just with a bit of twist (steak with a potato and black pudding hash topped with poached egg for example). (Ainsworth74)

Carlisle: See this post
Loads of places in close proximity to the station. I would recommend The Cathedral Cafe (in the precincts) or the Tullie House Museum Cafe both "leggable" from Station (5-10mins in a straight line (Butts)

Chester: Station buffet is decent - does a range of food and alcohol. Sort of a pub/cafe hybrid. (Telstarbox)

Crewe: Harvey's - 5 mins from station - do great breakfast sandwiches, can't speak highly enough of them. There's also a chip shop on the station side of it, I think it was OK but I haven't been in a while. (MattE2010)

Cuddington - 'The White Barn', a family friendly pub with a great choice of food, all very good value for money. Live entertainment on selected nights. Exit via the car park entrance and the pub is on the junction right outside the station. (ChrisTheRef)

Dewsbury (Platform 2) - The West Riding (RA, food, music, and very nice too) (redthunder)

Doncaster: Frenchgate Centre attached to the station has a few cafes not too far from the station ticket office, including that endangered species, Wimpy. (Telstarbox)

Dumfries: Likewise with Dumfries, there's the Station Cafe on the Carlisle platform. It serves decent snacks. (Stephen55a1960)

Edinburgh: The Halfway House (RA) on Fleshmarket Close is literally 30 seconds from the entrance to Waverley from Market Street. Excellent boozer with 4 ale pumps for the real ale hounds and decent grub, it's the smallest boozer in Edinburgh and has won the CAMRA pub of the year twice. Well worth a look in if you have time to kill. (Scotrail84)

Glasgow Central: The Solid Rock Cafe (opposite one of the side entrances on Hope Street - Look for the window art) (Starrymarkb)
Republic Bier Halle (9 Gordon Street; off Buchanan Street) "Quirky beer pub (as the name suggests), where beers from all over the world are served to you after ordering from a menu. While the beers can be quite expensive, you'll be hard pushed to find better quality food for the price in the city centre." (Wikitravel)
Stereo Cafe Bar - vegetarian/vegan - either turn right out of the main entrance and then left and left again, or left out then right and right again (it's on the road parallel to the front of the station) (button_boxer)

Huddersfield - Head Of Steam (just outside station) RA & food etc (redthunder)

Leeds - there's a Convienient Spoons (RA) in the station complex. Also just up the road in Greek Street (about 5 mins walk away past City Square) theres a place called the Living Room (proper British food & very nice to eat) as well as Akbar's for all you curry lovers (redthunder)
To which I would add Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Henry's (also in Greek Street) - both OK. If you can afford it, there's also a Loch Fyne Restaurant (in the former Main Post Office) in City Square. (Stephen55a1960)

Liverpool Central - 'Lobster Pot', a traditional Fish and Chip shop. Well priced with high quality food. Great for lunch on the go, not so pleasant after Saturday night's last train.
Exit through the shopping centre and you can see Lobster Pot over the road on the left hand side. (ChrisTheRef)

Liverpool Moorfields - 'Shiraz' is a cafe famed (with Merseyrail underground staff at least) for a high quality, well priced full English. It also does a full range of main meals, although I've only ever had the breakfast. Exit through the Moorfields entrance, turn left onto Dale Street, then take the first right. Shiraz is half way down on the left hand side. (ChrisTheRef)

Manchester Oxford Road: The Font RA - good range of ales/bottled beers. Food is good value and generous portions; Odder bar (opposite the old BBC building) similar. (Telstarbox)

Manchester Piccadilly: "Would recommend The Bulls Head, just across the road from the Fairfield Street entrance as quality alternative to the on-station bars." (Trickyvegas)
MAN now has a Carluccio's and a Yo! Sushi upstairs, it's turning into a mini St Pancras! (Telstarbox)

Manchester Victoria: Wetherspoons and various chains in the Printworks development. Bars on Thomas Street (5-10 minute walk) mostly do food, (RA) and craft beers. Trof is the nearest but can be rammed. (Telstarbox)

Middlesbrough: See this thread

Newcastle: I can only recommend places like Subway and Greggs opposite the NR station. (Techniquest)

Preston: Buffet@Preston which is a lovely Chinese. And there's a Wetherspoons (RA) on the corner with Ringway. (VTPreston_Tez)
Tasty on Corporation St near Preston station does awesome breakfast sarnies! (MattE2010)

Sheffield: The Tap (station pub, RA) - access either from Platform 1 or just outside the station.
Showroom Cinema (RA) is 2 minutes walk from the station (follow the fountain and cross the road). The bar there does good food, tea/coffee and the usual beers etc. (both Telstarbox)

Shrewsbury: There's a decent chip shop about a minute from the station. Cross the forecourt and then the main road (Castle Foregate) and turn right down Chester Street. It's in the wedge shaped building that makes up the junction of those two streets. (IanD)

Sowerby Bridge: Dandelion & Burdock - Simply one of the best places to eat I know (5 mins from the station). (Deerfold)

Stockport: very nice Indian buffet on the A6. (Lampshade)

York: I can't remember the name of it but Mrs Deltic and I ate in a lovely pub adjacent to York station on our last visit to the NRM, I had a Steak that was cooked to perfection and the mrs (the fussiest of all fussy eaters) was very impressed with the veriety on offer. (deltic1989)
Good pork pies at the York Tap (RA) (Sprinterguy)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Chutney's sounds good, do you know how much a typical curry with rice and naan is?

Chester Road: The Yenton for a pint and Atlantis Chippy across the road
Moor/New Street: The Pavilions Food Court, has pretty much everything.
New St/Snow Hill: John's opposite the law courts at the other end of corporation Street

"near" was used quite loosely here :lol:

telstarbox

Established Member
I think it was £7 for the buffet (as much curry and rice as you like!) - on a Sunday lunchtime. You pay extra for drinks. Good before a long journey out of Euston, the food is fresh and not too heavy.
There are other Indians on Drummond Street but this one's the best IMO.
Website here - the food's better than the web design!

deltic1989

Established Member
I can't remember the name of it but Mrs Deltic and I ate in a lovely pub adjacent to York station on our last visit to the NRM, I had a Steak that was cooked to perfection and the mrs (the fussiest of all fussy eaters) was very impressed with the veriety on offer.

Ivo

Established Member
A few from me, based on stations I use regularly...

Thorpe Bay: Home Made Bakery, which has three branches in Southend, is home to some very unusual (and very nice) sausage rolls. Perry's serves an excellent sausage and chip take-away for a low price. And as a last resort, croissants can be obtained from Tesco Express.
Feltham: A Wetherspoon's can be found nearby.
Bristol TM: As with Feltham, a Wetherspoon's can be found nearby; I have twice met other forum members there (once officially).
Southend Central: This takes the idea of Wetherspoon's nearby to a new level because it's literally opposite!
Bath Spa: KFC is three minutes away.
Reading: Cheezy Chips (or something like that anyway) is a nice kebab/fish takeaway on Station Road, although I elect for non-cheesy chips personally.
Oxford: Kebabs again, although I forget the name of the place - it's by the bus stops next to the main road (i.e. not the bus station in front of the station).

Lampshade

Established Member
Richmond - Wagamama 5 minutes round the corner.

Egham - Fantasic Chinese restaurant about 10 minutes away.

Staines - Herbie's Pizza, Kim's Kitchen (Chinese takeaway) and Golden Grill (kebab shop), all superb, all ~5 minutes walk from the station.

May as well throw in Stockport as well, very nice Indian buffet on the A6.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Manchester Oxford Road: The Font - good range of ales/bottled beers. Food is good value and generous portions; Odder bar (opposite the old BBC building) similar.
Font is absolutely superb. Their cocktails range is truly second to none, and very reasonably priced (£2 for many of them), although the range is so good that it is very easy to end up spending over £10 on drinks alone very quickly. And I will also vouch for the good quality of the food served there.

Anybody who knows me even a little will know that Wetherspoons is usually the answer when it comes to grabbing something to eat and a couple of pints of ale. Aberystwyth's Spoons is very convenient, as it is actually on the station (and from the outside, the lack of signage around the frontage makes it difficult to tell that there is actually a station behind it)! I don't really do anything but pubs.

The concept falls apart a bit around London though, so around Euston I tend to frequent "The Rocket", a Scream pub, if I'm feeling hungry, and as I work very close to Liverpool Street I can choose any one of the varied range of Nicholson's in the vicinity.

There's good pork pies at the York Tap (and presumably the Sheffield Tap, too)!

Clip

Established Member
King Cross - If you take a little walk into the new Regent Quarter there(not really new) there are some lovely places. A little jaunt up Cally road will also surprise you and the Ethiopian on there is amazing - but a little far if you are milling for a connection.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Glasgow Central: The Solid Rock Cafe (opposite one of the side entrances on Hope Street - Look for the window art ;))

Scotrail84

Established Member
The halfway house on fleshmarket close is literally 30 seconds from the entrance to Waverley from market street. Excellent boozer with 4 ale pumps for the real ale hounds and decent grub, its the smallest boozer in Edinburgh and has won the camra pub of the year twice. Well worth a look in if you have time to kill.

EM2

Established Member
Maidstone West - Marino's Fish Bar in Hart Street is the second-best fish and chips I've ever had (the best is a long way from a station).

Acton Town tube - Jump In Jacks (turn left as you come out).
£1.20 for big cup of good coffee and an excellent double egg on toast for £2.20.
Very highly recommended.

Blackhorse Road - Rodi's Café is everything a proper caff should be. Tasty and cheap, and pretty much untouched decoratively for forty years.

Ascot

Established Member
Kidderminster - Captain Cod (where else!)

That's the only real 'fastfood' alternative to Pumkin I can think of. All the rest are either restaurants, pubs or £££.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Stourbridge Town...walk through the subway and you have a few fast food (subway, pizza places, chippies etc) there in the centre of town (5 mints from stn)

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Ivo -is it "Dosa Park" you mean, in Oxford? (Google streetview has it under its former name of "Halal Munch" https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ox...=deND9Ke0spFhlr9tSwzKtQ&cbp=12,143.18,,2,1.62 )

Have waited for a bus there many a time, but never been remotely tempted to go in. Doesn't look that great to me!. Oddly, the best fast food (well, kebabs, anyway) in Oxford generally seems to come from vans that park up and open in the evenings, rather than shops. Which is pretty weird for a city of its size.

The Co-op bank used to have adverts on the tube claiming to demonstrate their local knowledge, by stating that the best bacon rolls anywhere in England were to be had in the sandwich bar next to West Hampstead tube (Mr Ginghams).I'm prepared to believe this is true.

One of the best chippies in London (with fantastic fish - so good you could almost imagine you were in a seaside town :) ) is just round the corner from Paddington - "Micky's Fish & Chips" on Norfolk Place. Surprisingly reasonably priced too.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I can't remember the name of the place, but there's a cafe near Cheltenham station - out the platform 2 exit and across the road - which did me a very good and much-needed scrambled egg and cheese baguette.

The Plough in Taunton is just down station road and does good pies and sandwiches (and excellent beers & ciders; but that's another thread).

Reading: Cheezy Chips (or something like that anyway) is a nice kebab/fish takeaway on Station Road, although I elect for non-cheesy chips personally.
That'll be Zorba's Mr Cheezzy Chips, constantly under threat of closure as it's a magnet for late-night punchups :D

I'll put a word in for Tutti Frutti on the station concourse - lovely bunch and very excellent ice cream and home-made cakes. The Oakford Social Club opposite the station does good pub food, but service can be slow.

Oxford: Kebabs again, although I forget the name of the place - it's by the bus stops next to the main road (i.e. not the bus station in front of the station).

Nowhere in Oxford can hold a candle to Kebab Kid IMO. Not that near the station - it's on Gloucester Green near the bus station - but the doner kebab in a naan is a definite win.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Where are your favourite places to eat/drink when you can't face Pumpkin or Burger King again, even with a Bite Card discount? I like:

Euston: Chutneys - Indian vegetarian buffet round the corner on Drummond Street, plenty of fresh curry, rice and salads.
Near Angel tube there is a similar establishment called Indian Veg on Chapel Market.

King's Cross/St Pancras: Camino - Spanish bar opposite the old Thameslink entrance. A bit pricey but nice atmosphere; and Big Chill Bar which has a roof garden - good in the sunny weather.

I'd have to second Chutneys - the best curry place I know in London. Food quality is better in the evening than the buffet (which isn't at all bad) but prices are higher.

My choices tend to be rather veggie-oriented...all about 5 minutes walk from the station:

King's Cross/St Pancras: For takeaway Sandwiches/SausageRolls/Cupcakes/Cute girl serving (all vegan) Vx on Caledonian Road

Hall Green: The best curry place I know - Jyoti's - not expensive either. I've been known to divert from Birmingham just to go here.

Sowerby Bridge: Dandelion & Burdock - Simply one of the best places to eat I know (5 mins from the station).

VTPreston_Tez

Preston, if you come out of the station if you walk to Friargate (about 5 minutes) there's Buffet@Preston which is a lovely Chinese. And there's a Wetherspoons on the corner with Ringway..

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Kidderminster - Captain Cod (where else!)

That's the only real 'fastfood' alternative to Pumkin I can think of. All the rest are either restaurants, pubs or £££.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Our Plaice" Fish and Chips a further 2 minutes down the road is where I normally go.

steamybrian

Established Member
Any recommendations for Clapham Junction or East Croydon?

East Croydon is easy.-

From the main entrance /ticket office turn right walk along George Street (parallel with tram track). At main crossroads/underpass junction continue across in straight line and within 50 yards on right hand side is Wetherspoons
"The George". Walking time from East Croydon station about 5 mins.
If you prefer other cafes/chippies then continue past Wetherspoons and into the shopping centre where there are a vast choice.

Clapham Junction- I do not know.

Can I mention
Waterloo

For fish and chips I can recommend "Fishcoteque" or similiar name. It is located in Waterloo Road opposite the station. From station concourse take the down escalator from opposite suburban platforms 1-4 area. At the bottom cross over Waterloo Road using pedestrian crossing and turn LEFT towards railway bridge carrying South Eastern Lines. Go past the Wellington pub and the chippy is under the that railway bridge on the right hand side.
Highly recommended and reasonable prices (for London!)
from Waterloo East . From the station footbridge leave station using Sandall Street exit- (warning many stairs down) . At the bottom turn right into Waterloo Road and right again past the Wellington pub and chippy is about 30 yards on the right.

redthunder

Dewsbury station (Platform 2) - The West Riding (real ale, food, music, and very nice too)

Huddersfield - Head Of Steam (just outside station, real ale & food etc)

Leeds - There's a Convienient Spoons in the station complex
Also just up the road in Greek Street (about 5 mins walk away past City Square) theres a place called the Living Room (proper British food & very nice to eat) as well as Akbar's for all you curry lovers

Last edited:

NY Yankee

There's a Hard Rock Cafe near the Green Park station on the Victoria, Jubilee and Piccadilly Lines.

Harrods also has a myriad of restaurants.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Now this thread is something I've been interested in for a while. Cheers for the PM about it, shall add more soon but for the time being I've got one for Cheltenham:

Cheltenham Spa - Exit the station through the ticket office and at the main road turn left. Cross the road at the first opportunity and the chip shop is right on the corner. I've not been since 2010 so I don't recall the name but it did brilliant chips when I last went for sensible prices. Been a long time since I did regular trips to Cheltenham so that's about as helpful as I can be for now!

*Now to stretch the grey matter for other good places I've been to near stations*

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Liverpool Central - 'Lobster Pot', a traditional Fish and Chip shop. Well priced with high quality food. Great for lunch on the go, not so pleasant after Saturday night's last train.
Exit through the shopping centre and you can see Lobster Pot over the road on the left hand side.

Cuddington - 'The White Barn', a family friendly pub with a great choice of food, all very good value for money. Live entertainment on selected nights.
Exit via the car park entrance and the pub is on the junction right outside the station.

Moorfields - 'Shiraz' is a cafe famed (with Merseyrail underground staff at least) for a high quality, well priced full English. It also does a full range of main meals, although I've only ever had the breakfast.
Exit through the Moorfields entrance, turn left onto Dale Street, then take the first right. Shiraz is half way down on the left hand side.

Status
Not open for further replies.