• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good Locations in and around Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanB

OK so today I took the plunge and went to Kingsknowe and did some photography, my first time - after much procrastination on my part I've been saying I'll do it one day for a couple years now :lol:.

Now I'm hoping the members of the forum can give me some guidance as to good locations around Edinburgh (not necessarily at stations) where I can take some photos and also any tips you can give a budding rail photographer?

Cheers

RyanB

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Yes but would be willing to take bus or cycle as well

How far are you looking at going?

Depending on the weather and where the sun is, Turnhouse can be quite good down this lane, but watch yourself turning into it - I have to take it at an angle or my car will bottom out. I've not been down there for a while, but if the pothole in the middle of the entrance is there, go round the side of it, don't try and drive through it.

A couple of places around Craigentinny that I've used before are here and here.
The first one can be ok for photos, but last time I went there (a year or two back) the bushes were starting to grow and block the view, making it tricky to get anything decent. The second I've only been to a couple of times, and was better than I was expecting, but not amazing.

Since you've been to Kingsknowe, try the foot crossings further along the line.
This one is better for video rather than photos, but it is possible to get half decent photos.
I prefer this one, personally, as it has long straights either side.
By car, for the one near Riccarton, it's a little easier to approach from the North side, and it's easier to park (though don't block the driveway - I always tuck my car up against the fence opposite), and the one past Currie is much easier to get to from the Southern side.

If you've got time to kill and fuel to spare, occasionally I'd just try and follow one of the lines as close as I could in the car and investigate anything that looked like it could work.

RyanB

How far are you looking at going?

Depending on the weather and where the sun is, Turnhouse can be quite good down this lane, but watch yourself turning into it - I have to take it at an angle or my car will bottom out. I've not been down there for a while, but if the pothole in the middle of the entrance is there, go round the side of it, don't try and drive through it.

A couple of places around Craigentinny that I've used before are here and here.
The first one can be ok for photos, but last time I went there (a year or two back) the bushes were starting to grow and block the view, making it tricky to get anything decent. The second I've only been to a couple of times, and was better than I was expecting, but not amazing.

Since you've been to Kingsknowe, try the foot crossings further along the line.
This one is better for video rather than photos, but it is possible to get half decent photos.
I prefer this one, personally, as it has long straights either side.
By car, for the one near Riccarton, it's a little easier to approach from the North side, and it's easier to park (though don't block the driveway - I always tuck my car up against the fence opposite), and the one past Currie is much easier to get to from the Southern side.

If you've got time to kill and fuel to spare, occasionally I'd just try and follow one of the lines as close as I could in the car and investigate anything that looked like it could work.

I know the first foot crossing very well actually, as I cross it fairly often on my way to and from uni if I'm cycling or walking.

Not looking to travel too far, about half an hour out of Edinburgh is probably as far as I'd be willing to go.

Established Member
I know the first foot crossing very well actually, as I cross it fairly often on my way to and from uni if I'm cycling or walking.

I take it you're at uni at Riccarton then?

It had barely registered on my radar until I started driving the 45 :D (though I don't anymore)

Not looking to travel too far, about half an hour out of Edinburgh is probably as far as I'd be willing to go.

Try South Queensferry for the Bridges if you haven't already - you can get some pretty spectacular photos from some spots. Also slightly further in, on the other side of Dalmeny station there are a few little spots that can be decent.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could try the ECML out Longniddry way, as there are a few decent spots hidden away off the main road.

RyanB

I take it you're at uni at Riccarton then?

It had barely registered on my radar until I started driving the 45 :D (though I don't anymore)

Try South Queensferry for the Bridges if you haven't already - you can get some pretty spectacular photos from some spots. Also slightly further in, on the other side of Dalmeny station there are a few little spots that can be decent.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could try the ECML out Longniddry way, as there are a few decent spots hidden away off the main road.

Yeah I'm at Heriot-Watt, didn't know you drove buses though, still with Lothian?

Longniddry is a good shout actually, Cousin lives out that way so I could always stop by and pay him a visit after a photo trip.

Established Member
Yeah I'm at Heriot-Watt, didn't know you drove buses though, still with Lothian?
Yeah, still with Lothian, but the 45 changed to a different depot a while back.
Longniddry is a good shout actually, Cousin lives out that way so I could always stop by and pay him a visit after a photo trip.
Have a hunt around the back roads, as there are a few good spots to be found.

I haven't been out for railway photos for quite some time, so I don't know what's currently any good.

Aictos

Established Member
I'm going to be staying in Tranent from Friday for the weekend which is near Longniddry railway station and Prestonpans railway station, what are these stations like for taking photos?

Any thing interesting worth going though?

Established Member
I'm going to be staying in Tranent from Friday for the weekend which is near Longniddry railway station and Prestonpans railway station, what are these stations like for taking photos?
Personally prefer Longniddry, but they're both alright.
From Tranent, Prestonpans will be easier to get to.
Any thing interesting worth going though?
It'll mostly be East Coast HSTs and 225s with 380s working the North Berwicks, and possibly a 170 on the Dunbar services.
I don't know how much freight there currently is.

telstarbox

Established Member
... any tips you can give a budding rail photographer?

A tripod is very useful for keeping the camera steady.
In general, shoot with the sun behind you rather than into the sun.

If you upload some examples either here or on Flickr etc, members will be happy to tell you how you can improve :)

Status
Not open for further replies.