• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good locations near Hemel Hempstead,Berkhampstead,Tring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will.C

Hi, Ive recently moved to Hemel Hempstead and Im looking for a line side location along the WCML in the countryside near these areas. A good view of both directions and nice scenery is what Im looking for.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The best place in the area you specify is probably Cow Roast, between Berkhamsted and Tring but it is a fair distance from Tring station unless you have transport; you might also find something to stand on handy at this time of year as the lineside vegetation grows quite high

p453675482-3.jpg

Best place of the lot IMO is Old Linslade north of Leighton Buzzard as there are numerous views possible from both sides of the line, here are some examples

The overbridge just north of the junction at Ledburn isn't bad in the afternoon / evening but only for northbound trains

p1583666398-3.jpg

PS - I presume that you have your own transport as none of these locations is very close to a station!

Will.C

Thank you thats very helpful indeed :)
Is my day off next wednesday so if the weathers nice I'll venture down to Cow Roast. Will go to Old Linsdale the following week maybe. I do have my own transport so shouldnt be a problem. When you say something to stand on what would you suggest, a small box or step ladders?

Will.C

Cheers Gaz, I did have a look at that the other day but didnt find manny places. There was a spot above the Watford tunnel but wasnt great for pictures tbf. Will have another look though.

Established Member
When you say something to stand on what would you suggest, a small box or step ladders?
A small box would probably suffice, I found that the top of the long grass in mid summer just got in the way of stuff on the down slow though the down fast is a bit more of a problem. If you are quite tall the issue might not even occur (I am 5' 7")
p210666455-3.jpg

Will.C

If you are quite tall the issue might not even occur (I am 5' 7")

Im just over 6' so hopefully be alright.

Is the location at Cow Roast by Norcott Farm Lane? Is there a public footpath that goes along the side of the line or did you have to ask a farmer to go in the field?

Established Member
There is a public footpath across the field to the footbridge; haven't got a map to hand right now but, from memory, it starts by the Cow Roast pub. Also can't comment on parking as I have only ever walked there from Tring station.

Will.C

Went down to Cow Roast today, is a good spot but made the mistake of wearing 3/4 length shorts so got stung quite a lot by stingers lol and unfortunatley the weather wasnt great but will try again next week and wear some trousers haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.