• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good News for Cider Drinkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I normally restrict myself to a single can of Strongbow in the evening but today I read the label and it says the recommended daily dose for men is 3 to 4 units; as a can is equivalent to 2.2 units it means I should be drinking 1.5 to 2 cans per day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What sort of apples do they use in Strongbow? Are they the ones that are good for you?

Bromley boy

Established Member
I normally restrict myself to a single can of Strongbow in the evening but today I read the label and it says the recommended daily dose for men is 3 to 4 units; as a can is equivalent to 2.2 units it means I should be drinking 1.5 to 2 cans per day.

Strongbow? Good grief. Strongbow is to cider what Stella “wife-beater” is to lager.

Give Aspall a try (especially the grand cru variety although, be warned, its very strong at 7%) and I bet you won’t go back!

DaleCooper

Established Member
Strongbow isnt and never will be cider!

What sort of apples do they use in Strongbow? Are they the ones that are good for you?

Strongbow gives me a headache.

And it destroys my throat! Woodpecker was always much more friendly

Strongbow? Good grief. Strongbow is to cider what Stella “wife-beater” is to lager.

Give Aspall a try (especially the grand cru variety although, be warned, its very strong at 7%) and I bet you won’t go back!

I don't care if it's cider or not, I don't know what apples they use, I don't mind the headache or the sore throat, the important thing is that it's 55p/can, I'll try Aspall if it's that cheap.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think you'll find that's the recommended MAXIMUM. Bit like speed limits, doesn't mean you have to reach them all the time!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How many apples are in a can of Strongbow and how many of your five a day does that make it?

They must use quite a few. I just tried squeezing one like an orange and hardly any juice came out.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I think you could fit two medium size apples in a can so two cans would leave you one apple short of five a day.

Neck a couple of glasses of wine (grape juice), as well as the cider, and you’ll soon make up for the the missing apple. ;)

Aspall isn’t cheap and doesn’t come in cans, to my knowledge, but it’s available in supermarkets and far, far nicer than Strongbow.

Well worth the extra, in my opinion!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I don't care if it's cider or not, I don't know what apples they use, I don't mind the headache or the sore throat, the important thing is that it's 55p/can, I'll try Aspall if it's that cheap.
You'd be better off with the Aldi and Lidl own-brand stuff, cheaper and still 5.3% like Strongbow used to be.

Even packaged in a way that makes it look a bit like a Strongbow tin, earning it the nickname "Wrongbow"!

Groningen

Established Member
We do not drink cider in the Netherlands as much as in England. Strongbow was not a success here. Heineken tries it now with Apple Bandit Cider since last year. The price per liter is 2,66 euro/2,16 Pound Sterling. Other brands seem to be Bulmers, Blind Pig, Old Mout and Stassen, but this from an article from 1 year ago..

TheEdge

Established Member
How many oranges go into a bottle of Cointreau? Or raspberries into a bottle of Chambord?

Does a nice cocktail count as a fruit salad?

Groningen

Established Member
Only the outside of an orange (the peel) is just for Cointreau. It is dripped in alcohol and that is put into the drink. No oranges itself.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Only the outside of an orange (the peel) is just for Cointreau. It is dripped in alcohol and that is put into the drink. No oranges itself.

What do they do with the oranges?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm partial to a Strongbow Dark Fruit myself but the normal stuff can get a bit sickly. My favourite cider has to be Orchard Thieves, which I had several times in Dublin and cannot find anywhere here in England!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sheppy's of Bradford-on-Tone near Taunton is one of my favourites, though they are no longer sold nationwide in Sainsbury's. M&S stock it, but at M&S prices!

gnolife

Established Member
Is the good news is that you're increasing the amount of Strongbow that you drink, meaning that there is a higher chance of those who shop in the same places have a higher chance of finding it sold out, therefore having to drink something better? If that's the case, I must thank you for your kind sacrifice

DaleCooper

Established Member
Thank you all for your contributions, I have learned a lot from this thread. I now know that I'm an immature, alcoholic, cheapskate, sexually frustrated student without the ability to appreciate quality cider or fine ale. Time to drown my sorrows and inadequacy in a couple of cans of Strongbow I think.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm even more of a cheapskate! I have the Lidl own brand cider (aka fake Strongbow)
I only have it occasionally, I normally stick to spirits these days (I can have 4 drinks instead of 2)

richw

Veteran Member
I'm partial to a Strongbow Dark Fruit myself but the normal stuff can get a bit sickly. My favourite cider has to be Orchard Thieves, which I had several times in Dublin and cannot find anywhere here in England!

I do like the dark fruits, various koppabergs and similar also.

is the correct answer!

BTW - cider - the drink of kids, alchies and those not man enough for ale. and women.

And those of us who live down in the South West.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I often enjoy a bottle of Thatchers in the summer months, straight out of the fridge. When many years a go I was a regular attendee at the Glastonbury festival I would be queuing up by the cider bus at 10.00. Memories!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It was a revelation drinking the local cidre (as they insist on spelling it) for the first time in Normandie (again, why must they spell it differently from us?). A great complement to a crepe suzette, even better to five crepes suzette.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I had to give up cider when I started to drive. Now enjoy an occasional apple juice (non-alcoholic)

Bulmer's was my favourite, but I suspect that even one drink put me too close to the breath/blood alcohol limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.