• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good News for Cider Drinkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I had to give up cider when I started to drive. Now enjoy an occasional apple juice (non-alcoholic)

Bulmer's was my favourite, but I suspect that even one drink put me too close to the breath/blood alcohol limit.

I've solved that problem by giving up driving; I get my bus pass next week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've solved that problem by giving up driving; I get my bus pass next week.

They won’t let you on the bus if you go staggering through the door after drinking 1.5 - 2 cans of Strongbow.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Sheppy's cider from Taunton.

What's driving me nuts is that I have 48 bottles of it sitting in the shed and I can't touch a drop until I'm off medication and until things have settled down with me and that's going to be a while yet it seems as I keep picking up infections, it'll have to sit there. I hope it doesn't go off, as it's a 145 miles (290 round trip) to get new supplies. :(

IanD

Established Member
My favourite cider has to be Orchard Thieves, which I had several times in Dublin and cannot find anywhere here in England!

That's a Bulmers cider, pops up now and again on my travels, most recently in The Fox in Twickenham but I've seen it as far North as Harrogate.

But those mentioned are all a bit wimpy. Get yourself some real cider. I'm quite partial to Millwhite's Rum or Whisky Cask (7.5%) or Rioja Cask (6.7%), Thistly Cross Whisky Cask (6.9%). If you must stick to the lower ABVs try the Lilley's which are all around the 4% mark, their Rhubard Cider is excellent. Same with the Weston's Rosie's Pig range.

Bromley boy

Established Member
That's a Bulmers cider, pops up now and again on my travels, most recently in The Fox in Twickenham but I've seen it as far North as Harrogate.

But those mentioned are all a bit wimpy. Get yourself some real cider. I'm quite partial to Millwhite's Rum or Whisky Cask (7.5%) or Rioja Cask (6.7%), Thistly Cross Whisky Cask (6.9%). If you must stick to the lower ABVs try the Lilley's which are all around the 4% mark, their Rhubard Cider is excellent. Same with the Weston's Rosie's Pig range.

I can recommend "Old Rosie" which I've had in my local and is part of the Weston's range.

It has a very easy drinking flavour and isn't particularly fizzy, in the traditional way. Be warned, it doesn't taste particularly strong, so it's easy to sink two or three and be reminded it's 7.3% when you stand up!

Surprisingly cheap as well, at less than a fiver in a pub where decent lagers are around £5.50 a pint.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You seem to have hit a rich seam of cider drinkers here Dale.

fowler9

Established Member
You need to stop drinking alcohol as it will lead to an early death. Spend the money on gym membership instead so you can die happy at your work station in your 80's or 90's providing a nice return to the shareholders who can drink themselves stupid their entire life. :) You will have had a virtuous life providing for others worse off than yourself (And also the massively wealthy). The Lord will provide for you in the hereafter. Ha ha.

AndrewE

Established Member
Strongbow gives me a headache.
You could try a real cider, Scrumpy Jack. Don't be put off by the name, it's clear, dry and not too strong, unfortunately made by Bulmers but may be unique in canned ciders by being made from cider apples...

AndrewE

Established Member
Just got round to digging this out (make sure you expand the quote):
from TALKING FOLK CLUB BLUES by Fred Wedlock on https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=130562

Then I seen this groupie standin' there
All bosom, bum and long blonde hair
In a backless, topless boiler suit
And high heeled, hobnailed army boots
I said, 'What you drinkin' kiddo?'
She said 'Sommat, long and cool man'
I said 'Beer or Scrumpy?'
She said, 'Cider, cider, the distillation of the forbidden fruit of Paradise
Full of the true, the blushfull hippocrene, with beaded bubble winking at the brim and purple stained mouth.
Cider, loosens my libido, transports me into realms of ethereal delights and blows my cosmic mind - Yeah, wow, too much'

I said, 'Bloody hell,' said, 'How do you rate beer then?'
She said, 'Ah beer's a drag man, makes me fart'.
He was briillant - watch/listen to "the handier household help" on youtube...

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Strongbow, good grief that's vile...

Tons of excellent ciders on the market, someone recommended Lilley's of Somerset and I can vouch for that. Their mango cider was praised for hours on a night out a good few months ago, copious amounts of it consumed...

However, I've now discovered the joys of wine and I'm enjoying a whole new world of adult beverages to enjoy!

tspaul26

Established Member
You need to stop drinking alcohol as it will lead to an early death. Spend the money on gym membership instead so you can die happy at your work station in your 80's or 90's providing a nice return to the shareholders who can drink themselves stupid their entire life. :) You will have had a virtuous life providing for others worse off than yourself (And also the massively wealthy). The Lord will provide for you in the hereafter. Ha ha.

I love work. I could watch it all day.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sheppy's cider from Taunton.

What's driving me nuts is that I have 48 bottles of it sitting in the shed and I can't touch a drop until I'm off medication and until things have settled down with me and that's going to be a while yet it seems as I keep picking up infections, it'll have to sit there. I hope it doesn't go off, as it's a 145 miles (290 round trip) to get new supplies. :(
If the date is getting near you can send them my way... :idea:;)

roversfan2001

Established Member
Carling Black Fruits is surprisingly nice, so is Strongbow Dark Fruits. The Kopparberg stuff is just a tad too sweet and sickly for me.

robbeech

Established Member
Over the summer, during festival season we are often left with copious amounts of alcoholic beverages back stage that the acts haven't managed to get through from their often ridiculous rider requests. We do the sensible thing and try to get through as much as we can as we don't like waste, but generally there is quite a lot of utter garbage amongst it that i just cannot manage. Strongbow would sadly be one of these. I don't mind the dark fruits if its all that is available on tap and i fancy something like that, but give me a real cider any day. I quite like Aspall, but like with many of the stronger ones you do have to be a little careful.
What can i say, give me a G&T any day.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My favourite cider has to be the ones made on site at Killerton House which I sampled a good 10 years ago now.

I can recommend "Old Rosie" which I've had in my local and is part of the Weston's range.

It has a very easy drinking flavour and isn't particularly fizzy, in the traditional way. Be warned, it doesn't taste particularly strong, so it's easy to sink two or three and be reminded it's 7.3% when you stand up!

They still haunt me to this day after one night in the remote past, I downed a pint in 10 seconds to catch up, and woke up with no memory how I got home that night. I guess it didn't help that I already had a few before that.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
You should try living north of the border. With the recent news that minimum pricing is legal, it's anything but good news for cider drinkers :(

TheEdge

Established Member
Old Rosie is a danger to itself and others. I drank it lots at university, many missing memories...

Butts

Veteran Member
You should try living north of the border. With the recent news that minimum pricing is legal, it's anything but good news for cider drinkers :(

Where are you going to get your hit of White Lightning from <D

Off Licences in Carlisle / Berwick will be awaiting an invasion !! (To far from Morayshire I'm afraid)

OwlMan

Established Member
Where are you going to get your hit of White Lightning from <D

Off Licences in Carlisle / Berwick will be awaiting an invasion !! (To far from Morayshire I'm afraid)

The Budget has promised legislation to increase the duty on "strong white" ciders but not on any other alcohol.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's only likely to be bad news for Jakeys and possibly interior decorators...

I only use strong white Dulux though and what’s a ‘Jakey’?
Is that like Farrow & Ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.