• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good old First Northampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

A0wen

On Moderation
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I did Stay Stagecoach would get the short notice to operate two weeks earlier ;).

That is a surprise but must be a generous interpretation of the first point (see below)

In the cases listed below, you may give less than 56 days’ notice at the discretion of the Traffic Commissioner, who will require, in some cases, the application to be accompanied by written confirmation of the support from relevant authorities. An application:

To register or vary a registration with respect to a service or part of a service which will be substantially similar to and replace a service or part of a service which you or another operator has ceased or is ceasing to operate;
• To vary or cancel the registration of a service which is either not available to the members of the general public or not regularly used by them;
• To vary or cancel the registration of a service in response to representations from a person authorised by either a traffic authority or chief officer of police on a matter concerning road traffic regulation or road safety:
• To register particulars of a new service, or vary the registration to augment an existing service, in order to provide the new or augmented service for a period not exceeding 21 days, in connection with a specified event or occasion which will cause an additional demand for a service;
• To vary the registration so as to vary or suspend a service during a period not exceeding 14 days in response to holidays taken by a substantial proportion of the population in that locality (if such changes were not incorporated into the original registration);
• Where due to circumstances which you could not reasonably have foreseen, you did not make an application in sufficient time for the normal 56 day period of notice;
• To register or vary a registration with respect to a service or part of a service in order to meet an urgent and exceptional public passenger transport requirement.

An interesting decision and has surprised me! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
SC Northampton are rumoured to be getting a big new order soon...

I know that they were supposed to be getting nine Gold e400s. Don't know where they're bound - Daventry routes??

I'd expect some more e300s as they're pretty popular! I know that there were some delicensed L Reg Olympians at Northampton so those might be some of the fleet sighted.

As an aside, saw a 50 liveried machine on the X4 the other day; first time I've seen a non Gold machine on there

markie73

Let's hope it's not e200.....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there are 35 E200's due for the Northampton depot by April next year.

The Gold E400's are for the X46 and X47 services and the second hand standard E400's are to replace the Olympians, as for the E400 that you seen on the X4 in the 50 colors this often subs when one of the Gold E400's breaks down - apparently this one often turns up in Northampton on other services as well.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there are 35 E200's due for the Northampton depot as well as 9 E400 Gold deckers for the X46/X47 re-branding and 5 standard E400 double decks that are approx 4 - 5 years old all due by April 2014.

Looks like Stagecoach have been shopping!, I wonder if the E200's are to replace the Dart fleet?.

X46/7 going Gold. That's interesting but guess it makes sense!

Guess there are some rather peachy Darts so expect some of the ones brought in recently to go. The ex West SPDs might be candidates as they're non DDA compliant (I think)

markie73

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there are 35 E200's due for the Northampton depot by April next year.

The Gold E400's are for the X46 and X47 services and the second hand standard E400's are to replace the Olympians, as for the E400 that you seen on the X4 in the 50 colors this often subs when one of the Gold E400's breaks down - apparently this one often turns up in Northampton on other services as well.

That is a surprise but must be a generous interpretation of the first point (see below)

In the cases listed below, you may give less than 56 days’ notice at the discretion of the Traffic Commissioner, who will require, in some cases, the application to be accompanied by written confirmation of the support from relevant authorities. An application:

• To register or vary a registration with respect to a service or part of a service which will be substantially similar to and replace a service or part of a service which you or another operator has ceased or is ceasing to operate;
• To vary or cancel the registration of a service which is either not available to the members of the general public or not regularly used by them;
• To vary or cancel the registration of a service in response to representations from a person authorised by either a traffic authority or chief officer of police on a matter concerning road traffic regulation or road safety:
• To register particulars of a new service, or vary the registration to augment an existing service, in order to provide the new or augmented service for a period not exceeding 21 days, in connection with a specified event or occasion which will cause an additional demand for a service;
• To vary the registration so as to vary or suspend a service during a period not exceeding 14 days in response to holidays taken by a substantial proportion of the population in that locality (if such changes were not incorporated into the original registration);
• Where due to circumstances which you could not reasonably have foreseen, you did not make an application in sufficient time for the normal 56 day period of notice;
• To register or vary a registration with respect to a service or part of a service in order to meet an urgent and exceptional public passenger transport requirement.

An interesting decision and has surprised me! ;)

I know that they were supposed to be getting nine Gold e400s. Don't know where they're bound - Daventry routes??

I'd expect some more e300s as they're pretty popular! I know that there were some delicensed L Reg Olympians at Northampton so those might be some of the fleet sighted.

As an aside, saw a 50 liveried machine on the X4 the other day; first time I've seen a non Gold machine on there

mbonwick

Established Member
Aim of the E200s is to replace all of the dart fleet in one hit. It's unlikely that anything will be cascaded out of Midlands as they seek to remove the non-DDA compliant ex-Lonodn darts from the fleet.

markie73

X46/7 going Gold. That's interesting but guess it makes sense!

Guess there are some rather peachy Darts so expect some of the ones brought in recently to go. The ex West SPDs might be candidates as they're non DDA compliant (I think)

Sounds like the plan is to replace most of the Dart fleet with E200's, I am surprised that Stagecoach have not given the X7 gold treatment as well though.

overthewater

Established Member
But Will the E200 be able to deal with all the passengers in the area? The reports have been umpteen of the buses are full with the darts, might be better off just using the displace deckers from the X45/X46 onto the Town services.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Sounds like the plan is to replace most of the Dart fleet with E200's, I am surprised that Stagecoach have not given the X7 gold treatment as well though.

Might be the next candidate??

As I said, I was perhaps hoping that the Daventry services might get the treatment.

To be honest, from what I've seen re: overcrowding, the Solos to Kings Heath might be the biggest offenders

Surreyman

I assume that as all the 2013 order is due to be delivered by end DEC 2013, the 35 E200s are from the yet to be announced 2014 order?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

First time I've seen one on the section between Northampton and CMK. Seen the opposite, with a Gold e400 running from Bedford to Kettering though.

Volvodart

Established Member

Wolvercoter

Just posted to twitter and on the First Northampton website:-

Service 4A - Town Centre to Acre Lane via Kingsthorpe - Withdrawn

Friday 09 August 2013

Service 4A to be withdrawn

Service 4A - Town Centre to Acre Lane via Kingsthorpe will be withdrawn.

The last day of operation will be Saturday 10 August 2013.

We are sorry if the withdrawal of this service causes any inconvenience.

That's weird. I thought the 4 was ending tomorrow with the 4A continuing until 14th Sept.

MK Tom

Established Member
The Sunday 4A ends tomorrow, could it be that?
Or perhaps they've just muddled it up with the 4...

Wolvercoter

The Sunday 4A ends tomorrow, could it be that?
Or perhaps they've just muddled it up with the 4...

There are forthcoming timetables for the 2 & 4A (without Sunday services) and nothing at all for the 4. So, it's muddled up one way or the other - and with a network of only three services, that's an impressive feat.

markie73

That's weird. I thought the 4 was ending tomorrow with the 4A continuing until 14th Sept.

What is this lot playing at?, IT IS the service 4 that operates its final service tomorrow with the cancellation of the 4 effective Sunday and also the cancellation of the Sunday service on the 2 and 4A getting cancelled on the same day.....If a First service 4 shows up on Sunday or Monday then somebody has made a monumental 'balls up'.....

Or have they got themselves in muddle with this cancellation?

PF0007045/35 - NORTHAMPTON TRANSPORT LTD, THE BUS DEPOT, ST. JAMES ROAD, NORTHAMPTON, NN5 5JD
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Obelisk Rise and Northampton Bus Station given service number 4/4A effective from 11-Aug-2013.

The 4A has never operated to Obelisk Rise.....

But the 4A is being withdrawn as per their last VOSA post..

PF0007045/69 - NORTHAMPTON TRANSPORT LTD, THE BUS DEPOT, ST. JAMES ROAD, NORTHAMPTON, NN5 5JD
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between NORTHAMPTON BUS STATION and NORTHAMPTON, ACRE LANE given service number 4A effective from 15-Sep-2013.

Something tells me that maybe a massive balls up is on the cards!.

There are forthcoming timetables for the 2 & 4A (without Sunday services) and nothing at all for the 4. So, it's muddled up one way or the other - and with a network of only three services, that's an impressive feat.

See above as I am confused as well.......

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
So basically, either they've ballsed up the public announcement, or far worse, they've deregistered the wrong service?

The council site is still pretty clear:

First 2 Northampton Town Centre - Rectory Farm - Blackthorn
(Monday to Saturday)
Timetable revised.
Sunday service WITHDRAWN.
No change on Monday to Friday or Saturday.

First 4 Northampton Town Centre - Kingsthorpe - Obelisk Rise
(Monday to Sunday) Service WITHDRAWN.

First 4A Northampton Town Centre - Kingsthorpe - Acre Lane
(Monday to Saturday)
Timetable revised.
Sunday service WITHDRAWN.
No change to Monday to Friday or Saturday.

Last edited:

markie73

So basically, either they've ballsed up the public announcement, or far worse, they've deregistered the wrong service?

Well time will tell tomorrow and Monday if there are First service 4 or 4A still doing their rounds, if these cancellations are wrong then somebody has got some serious explaining to do!.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
It's more like the person in the office has got it wrong. Still why has no one phoned to ask?

markie73

It's more like the person in the office has got it wrong. Still why has no one phoned to ask?

I have phoned Firstbus customer helpline but got fobbed off to contact the depot...which I did but no body likes to pick up their telephone....

By the way the County Council website now has no cancellation date for the service 4 which supposedly is operating its last day of service today, so why is there a cancellation for the 4A which is for September 14th and a cancellation for the 4/4A which supposedly is tomorrow, 11th August?....yet First seem to think that they are cancelling the 4A tomorrow as per their Twitter feed....

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
The Northants site lists Sundays separately. There should be a cancellation for the 4A today and another starting on Monday and running to Srpt 15th. Not sure why the 4 one has gone, they're probably as in the dark as we are. The way the Northants list is laid out is incredibly confusing, with their different frequencies for different days that aren't even accurate.

markie73

The Northants site lists Sundays separately. There should be a cancellation for the 4A today and another starting on Monday and running to Srpt 15th. Not sure why the 4 one has gone, they're probably as in the dark as we are. The way the Northants list is laid out is incredibly confusing, with their different frequencies for different days that aren't even accurate.

Just had a look at the fourth coming First Northampton timetables and only the 2 and 4A are being listed for Monday to Friday and Saturday absolutely nothing for the 4 after today.

MK Tom

Established Member
Just had a look at the fourth coming First Northampton timetables and only the 2 and 4A are being listed for Monday to Friday and Saturday absolutely nothing for the 4 after today.

Yeah they haven't changed that, but they have taken the 'ends August 10th' off the 4 on the main list.

For everyone else's convenience, see attached.

As an aside, First have curiously put their 4A announcement in general news, and not in service updates where it actually belongs.

Attachments

• Northants site.PNG
    Northants site.PNG
    147.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

markie73

Yeah they haven't changed that, but they have taken the 'ends August 10th' off the 4 on the main list.

For everyone else's convenience, see attached.

It looks like a balls up then, so the 4 stays even though its listed as cancelled from tomorrow and the 4A is going even though there is a cancellation from the 14th September?, so if the 4A is going will this land First in trouble with VOSA as there will be no service on Acre Lane apart from the stagecoach sunday service 15 which starts tomorrow then weekdays from the 3rd September...?

MK Tom

Established Member
If that happened First would be up s**t creek without a boat. But I reckon they've just cocked up the announcement and the Council are waiting for confirmation.

markie73

If that happened First would be up s**t creek without a boat. But I reckon they've just cocked up the announcement and the Council are waiting for confirmation.

Well they need to get on top of this sooner rather then latter as there could be a few angry and confused First Northampton passengers on Monday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.