• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

good places to watch Eurostar & Pendolino

Status
Not open for further replies.

DX5137

Hi there

I am new to this forum and looking for advice to where to do some trainspotting. I have 2 young sons who seem to be following dad's footsteps with the trainspotting bug. Apart from the joy of watching the trains I also shoot video and take pictures of our adventures.

Can someone suggest some good places to watch:
A: the Eurostar & Javelin at speed
B: the Pendolino at speed on the WCML not far out of London

Both must be accessible by train as this will be our mode of transport to get there.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Cheers, Paul

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

For the Pendolinos, I suggest Hamel Hampstead, Watford Junction or Bletchley if that isn't too far out.

Bletchley also sees a variety of freight at speed.

For Eurostar, you could try Ebbsfleet

Clip

Established Member
All depends if you want to see the Javelins at speed and where you are travelling from.. You could probably get along from Rainham in Essex to get some pics if you go along the road somewhat from the station.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
South Kenton a very fvoured spot , - nearby park and footbridge also useful.

"Javelin" much harder to spot at speed - much fencing and no real station opportunities bar Ebbsfleet. It will be tight on security.

paul1609

Established Member
Hi there

I am new to this forum and looking for advice to where to do some trainspotting. I have 2 young sons who seem to be following dad's footsteps with the trainspotting bug. Apart from the joy of watching the trains I also shoot video and take pictures of our adventures.

Can someone suggest some good places to watch:
A: the Eurostar & Javelin at speed
B: the Pendolino at speed on the WCML not far out of London

Both must be accessible by train as this will be our mode of transport to get there.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Cheers, Paul

Eurostar, Javelin by the Medway Viaduct next to the roundabout on A282/M2 (junction 2) about 3/4 mile from Cuxton station on the medway Valley Line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH2fUFE659U

:

[/i

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Rainham Marshes RSPB reserve - the perimeter path around the reserve is very close indeed to the flyover; the only disadvantage is a number of large electricity pylons immediately behind the line making for cluttered backgrounds to photography.

Clip

Established Member
Eurostar, Javelin by the Medway Viaduct next to the roundabout on A282/M2 (junction 2) about 3/4 mile from Cuxton station on the medway Valley Line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH2fUFE659U

My favourite part of the whole journey I reckon

Peter Mugridge said:
Rainham Marshes RSPB reserve - the perimeter path around the reserve is very close indeed to the flyover; the only disadvantage is a number of large electricity pylons immediately behind the line making for cluttered backgrounds to photography.

Probably my second favourite part..

eMeS

For the Pendolinos, I suggest Hamel Hampstead, Watford Junction or Bletchley if that isn't too far out.

Bletchley also sees a variety of freight at speed. ...

If you get yourselves to Bletchley, I'd recommend going two stops further north to Wolverton where the line is seriously canted - at both ends of the station.

Pendolino approaching from the north at Wolverton

Nearer to London, the line is canted at Berkhamsted station - and there's a castle to explore as well.

Crossover

Established Member
I'd also suggest Berkhamsted if just for the fact the Pendolinos come through at full tilt, though the price you pay for such is due to the curve through the station, it probably isn't the most ideally suited to photography
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This is an example of what you can see at Berkhamsted (I have taken photos from the exact same spot too)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomstrainphotos/5754627102/

DX5137

Thanks for all the feedback, greatly appreciated.

We ventured up to Wolverton which was pretty impressive with the full on tilt then took in the castle at Berkhamsted on the way back.

So it's the Eurostar & Javelin next week!

Cheers, Paul

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Harrow and Wealdstone, Kenton, Bushey for Pendos (Security might be a it cocky at H&W)

Can't help you with HS1-sorry mate

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Dagenham Dock (within the zones) is a great location to see trains on High Speed One. The station footbridge affords decent views of the line.

DX5137

Just wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere on the ECML within 30-45 mins of London where the Class 43 & 91 are at or near their max speed. We did venture up to Potters Bar but I got the impression they are doing around 160km/h, though I could be wrong.

Also is the Medway Viaduct near Cuxton any good for a picnic while watching the trains (weather permitting).

Cheers, Paul

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Dagenham Dock (within the zones) is a great location to see trains on High Speed One. The station footbridge affords decent views of the line.

This may sound silly - and I hope not - but following the recent suicide attempt on the tracks, and the subsequent disruption to c2c and HS1 services, I suppose it is possible that one could get asked a few questions by any staff in the vicinity... they don't want someone falling/jumping off the bridge. :s

philjo

Established Member
Arlesey would be a good place for the ECML - there is a long straight section down to Hitchin.

NXEA!

Just wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere on the ECML within 30-45 mins of London where the Class 43 & 91 are at or near their max speed. We did venture up to Potters Bar but I got the impression they are doing around 160km/h, though I could be wrong.

Also is the Medway Viaduct near Cuxton any good for a picnic while watching the trains (weather permitting).

Cheers, Paul
Alexandra Palace is a good place for the ECML, HST's and 91's doing a decent speed, as well as 317's if you're lucky enough to see them at a decent speed, with a decent scream to go with it!

eMeS

I'm sure you're doing the right thing for your children.

I can still remember with pleasure, and have memories of the docks, when my father took me on the Liverpool Overhead Railway. At the time we lived near Chassen Road Halt to the west of Manchester on the CLC, and I guess my father might have heard of the impending closure plans for the overhead railway. Whatever, it was a memorable day out.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Cheers, Paul

It's alright-ish - you can get away from the A228 road a little bit, but there's still a lot of noise from the motorway. It's a good view over the river, and you can perch on a fence.
Alternatively, there's a public footpath (try the OS map view on Bing maps*) going from the Strood end of Cuxton station (on the river side), which ends up going under the Strood-Cuxton line to end up in a field below the viaduct, for an alternative view up to the passing HS1 trains. That footpath continues through to an industrial estate** on the edge of Strood.

*Try this link:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where...68~0.46599081158638533&lvl=16&sty=s&encType=1

On the 'p' of Refuse Tip (which it isn't, by the way!)

** the other side of the line, by the river, is a "leisure park" with restaurant and cinema.

paul1609

Established Member
It's alright-ish - you can get away from the A228 road a little bit, but there's still a lot of noise from the motorway. It's a good view over the river, and you can perch on a fence.
Alternatively, there's a public footpath (try the OS map view on Bing maps*) going from the Strood end of Cuxton station (on the river side), which ends up going under the Strood-Cuxton line to end up in a field below the viaduct, for an alternative view up to the passing HS1 trains. That footpath continues through to an industrial estate** on the edge of Strood.

*Try this link:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where...68~0.46599081158638533&lvl=16&sty=s&encType=1

On the 'p' of Refuse Tip (which it isn't, by the way!)

** the other side of the line, by the river, is a "leisure park" with restaurant and cinema.

Theres lots of nice riverside picnic sites on the Medway Valley Line the other side of Maidstone, Yalding would be my favourite.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This may sound silly - and I hope not - but following the recent suicide attempt on the tracks, and the subsequent disruption to c2c and HS1 services, I suppose it is possible that one could get asked a few questions by any staff in the vicinity... they don't want someone falling/jumping off the bridge. :s
If there's any staff about... the station is unstaffed after lunchtime.

The bridge from the c2c station only affords views at the top of the stairs, and to jump from this onto HS1 would be an 'Olympic' feat. The footbridge outwith the station premises has such high walls it would again be a challenge to do it over the railway line.

Status
Not open for further replies.