• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good railway films?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carriageline

Established Member
Allright guys!

Just looking for some good railway movies to watch, anything about line side workers is also good (just watched the navigators!)

UK railways, and modern ish times, (diesel period onwards!)

Cheers guys

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (the 1970s version, there was a recent remake but it's not as good). Not UK but modernish and plenty of train and track!

swj99

Minder on the Orient Express is a favourite of mine. Got it on VHS somewhere.

desmo

Cant beat the opening sequence of "Get Carter" going up the ECML into Newcastle. Deltics & 47's!!

swj99

I'm not familiar with that! Does it feature Dennis Waterman?
Yes, that's the one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minder_on_the_Orient_Express

minder-on-orient-express-dvd-cover-art.jpg

http://josephleebevan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/minder-on-orient-express.html

Clip

Established Member
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (the 1970s version, there was a recent remake but it's not as good). Not UK but modernish and plenty of train and track!

Great film that and one of my faves. (not the remake) also has one of the best movie soundtracks too

Heinz57

Did Dennis Waterman write and sing the theme tune?

"There's a criminal on the Orient Expreesss. Do do do do do"

Sorry

:lol::lol::lol:

The Informer

Allright guys!

Just looking for some good railway movies to watch, anything about line side workers is also good (just watched the navigators!)

UK railways, and modern ish times, (diesel period onwards!)

Cheers guys

"The Ghost Train" even just for the opening credits.
"The Titfield Thunderbolt" !!!

Loads of BTF and Network rail films knocking around the net.

12CSVT

Established Member
'St. Trinians Train Robbery' probably has some of the most comical railway scenes, although somewhat far fetched.

Karl

On Moderation
Nice thread. I recently came across an old episode of Roald Dahl's Tales Of The Unexpected (or Expected, as we jokingly called it), that I missed back in 1980. It's only 25 minutes long and a bit dated, but the railway scenery is excellent.

Does anybody recognise the station and the 37 in the episode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9crmkjy89RE

"After more than sixty years, William Perkins is still haunted by memories of being bullied at an English boarding school. Then, one day, he is annoyed by a swaggering passenger on a train"

Well worth a watch. Enjoy.

Toad

Few ideas....

Von Ryans Express...class

Away Days......footie violence in the 70/80s, filmed at East Lancs, plenty of 47402

Ghosttrain....brilliant

Oh Mr Porter....more brilliant !!

Schnellzug

Established Member
'St. Trinians Train Robbery' probably has some of the most comical railway scenes, although somewhat far fetched.

Oh yes, Thumpers and Austerities chasing each other around, wasn't there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nice thread. I recently came across an old episode of Roald Dahl's Tales Of The Unexpected (or Expected, as we jokingly called it), that I missed back in 1980. It's only 25 minutes long and a bit dated, but the railway scenery is excellent.

Does anybody recognise the station and the 37 in the episode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9crmkjy89RE

"After more than sixty years, William Perkins is still haunted by memories of being bullied at an English boarding school. Then, one day, he is annoyed by a swaggering passenger on a train"

Well worth a watch. Enjoy.

How very Monty Python, all the bowler hats lined up. :D Looks like they polished the 37 specially. probably somewhere in East Anglia, I'd guess.

deltic1989

Established Member

Ah yes the 08 that appears to be doing 70 mph!!!!! :o

Buster is a good one, following the planning and execution of the Great Train Robbery, through the eyes of Buster (Phil Collins), and rather comical in parts too.

- Cal -

Creep, thats set on the underground, don't watch it with little kids though!

NY Yankee

Moneytrain (the 1995 movie with Wesley Snipes, Woody Harrelson, Jennifer Lopez, and Robert Blake). It was an ok movie. It stretched the imagination a little, but it was fun

Diehard 3 had an interesting scene with the NYC subway

12CSVT

Established Member
'The Ladykillers' has numerous scenes of steam hauled freight trains between Gasworks Tunnel and Copenhagen Tunnel in the early 1950s - some of the trains were used to dispose of the dead bodies !

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
"The Ghost Train" even just for the opening credits.
"The Titfield Thunderbolt" !!!

I'd recommend these 2 too. The Ghost Train is an interesting piece of history too!

For a railway sitcom 'Oh Dr Beeching' is pretty good.

The Informer

I'd recommend these 2 too. The Ghost Train is an interesting piece of history too!

For a railway sitcom 'Oh Dr Beeching' is pretty good.

He did say British films but a few have thrown in american ones so I'll contribute some more then...

"The great train robbery" sean connery and donald sutherland has some brilliant stuntman scenes on the train roof.
"The Silver Streak" can't believe it aint been mentioned!!!!!
"Runaway train" the caboose scene is awesome. Bad language coupled with blood and gore. Awesome!
"Unstoppable" slightly far fetched but ok.
"Tough Guys" funny and entertaining. Big kettle in this!
There is a 007 film that was filmed at the nene valley but can't remember the name. Maybe someone can help with this one.
"Supertrain" honestly it exists!!!!
Can't think anymore, I'm tired...

Schnellzug

Established Member
There is a 007 film that was filmed at the nene valley but can't remember the name. Maybe someone can help with this one.
Octopussy and Goldeneye both were, I think. The latter with the Class 20 disguised as something improbable. From the days of Blatant Tosh, I'm afraid.

LE Greys

Established Member
Diehard 3 had an interesting scene with the NYC subway

The that puts me in mind of original version of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, which I've never seen in full, but certainly want to.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
He did say British films but a few have thrown in american ones so I'll contribute some more then...

"The great train robbery" sean connery and donald sutherland has some brilliant stuntman scenes on the train roof.
"Runaway train" the caboose scene is awesome. Bad language coupled with blood and gore. Awesome!

I'll add The Cassandra Crossing, with some interesting views of European expresses (plus Sophia Loren ;) )
Which puts me in mind of another film, the title of which escapes me, about someone's experiences on a trans-Europe express from Antwerp to somewhere. Doesn't sound like much, but it's somehow gripping even though very ordinary.

Schnellzug

Established Member

I had to look up some of these. Tough Guys is a 1986 comedy starring Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Eli Wallach and Dana Carvey. It was directed by Jeff Kanew. The big kettle, incidentally, is Southern Pacific 4449.
The Great Train robbery, that was filmed in Ireland I believe.

You could Add to that Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines, not only for the amazing flying reproductions of very early aircraft, but the scene where someone lands their plane on top of a moving train (hauled by Highland Railway Jones Goods no.103).

Status
Not open for further replies.