• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good routes and tips for the Dortmund area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie babs

I am going to Germany next month to visit my son and family.
He knows my love of trains and that I have not been on a train in several years, so he wants to take me on some day trips especially on the Ice train.:D

Has anyone got any ideas or have they traveled on the system and know some good routes to try or what trains should I try to get a trip on. You know all the exciting stuff I need to do but have no idea about :D

I know you can get different BahnCards but not sure what would be best as I am not there for many days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
I am going to Germany next month to visit my son and family.
He knows my love of trains and that I have not been on a train in several years, so he wants to take me on some day trips especially on the Ice train.:D

Has anyone got any ideas or have they traveled on the system and know some good routes to try or what trains should I try to get a trip on. You know all the exciting stuff I need to do but have no idea about :D

I know you can get different BahnCards but not sure what would be best as I am not there for many days.
Germany is a very large country, if you could be a bit more specific about which area you are heading for, it would be easier to offer advice.

DaiGog

Sometimes Mirfield, sometimes Hull, often Niebüll
Firstly, whereabouts are you going?

ICEs are widespread and certain areas of Germany are very scenic. Each area of Germany has its own cheap off-peak day and weekend tickets, but these are not valid on IC or ICE services. If you want to do an ICE then a spin on one of the high-speed lines is recommended.

Veteran Member
In that case a day trip to Frankfurt on the high speed line south of Cologne, or up the Rhine Valley for the scenery (some trains are ICE's, others are IC). Or out one way, back the other.

Nearer home the overhead railway in Wuppertal would be well worth it, and cheap and easy to reach.

Scenically, as well as the Rhine Valley, the Lahn and the Moselle are do-able by rail, at least in part.

Muzer

Established Member
If you're interested in sleeper trains, I'd recommend you find a way to fit one into your trip, because in all likelihood most of them are disappearing at the end of this year. Have a search for City Night Line.

newbie babs

I am going to Dusseldorf on one of the days and as Wuppertal is not that far I think we should get a train there and do some investigating, thanks 30907, great idea.

jaapstam

In that case a day trip to Frankfurt on the high speed line south of Cologne, or up the Rhine Valley for the scenery (some trains are ICE's, others are IC). Or out one way, back the other.

Nearer home the overhead railway in Wuppertal would be well worth it, and cheap and easy to reach.

Scenically, as well as the Rhine Valley, the Lahn and the Moselle are do-able by rail, at least in part.

I definitely recommend this as well. Dortmund - Frankfurt on an ICE via the high-speed line and return along the river Rhine - train plus scenery.

If you are interested in commercial planes as well, you could visit Frankfurt airport between your trips.

Let us know what you decided and what your experiences were.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Definitely Wuppertal. I would suggest travelling up to the Vohwinkel end to watch the turning loop then walk back along the street section to the next stop for some great views of them running. Also Dusseldorf is a day trip in itself and take a trip up the tower for a great view of the Rhine. Don't forget the other suspended railway at Dusseldorf airport and a visit to the German football museum and the old steel works in Dortmund. If he likes football take him to a match at Signal Iduna Park- its one of the great experiences in world football .

The railway museum at Bochum is excellent but best visited when they have running days.

Last edited:

newbie babs

Thank you everyone who advised me where to go and on what trains.
Going on Le Shuttle was brilliant, apart from French side and enormous queues to get on one back home.
On the Saturday it was a bit mad but I went to Dusseldorf and Bielefeld, nice and sunny day but not much sightseeing apart from trains, Ice train, double decker and a very boring normal train.
My younger grandson was loving going on so many trains and my older grandson was chatting girls up ( he's aged14).
Highly recommended and can`t wait for the next time

Groningen

Established Member
Travel from Solingen to Remscheid or v.v. and travel across the river Wupper.

300px-Muengsten.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.