• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good West Midlands freight spotting locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggyn

I'm sorry to have to create a new thread, I know how annoying it can be seeing tons of new threads asking daft questions, but I couldn’t think of any other better way to ask.

Onto the question; could any users suggest any good places within easy reach of stations in the West Midlands to view and take photographs of freight trains from? I was just wondering because I was thinking of going somewhere either this Saturday afternoon or next Saturday to take some photos of freight trains for a Graphics project I’m doing at college, but my nearest line is the Snow Hill line (Cradley Heath is my nearest station) which gets very little freight running through, apart from the occasional steel train through Stourbridge Junction en route to Merry Hill, I mean, Round Oak. I was hoping to try to find somewhere where you can get a decent full length shot of a train so that I can place a fictitious livery over the top in Photoshop, so somewhere you get a clear view.

I was thinking perhaps trying to get over to Bescot, but I’ve never actually been there before so don’t know how easily you can view freight trains from, nor how clearly you can see the locomotives from the trackside. Another place I was thinking of was the Lickey Incline, but I haven’t got a clue how frequent the freight trains run over the weekend there. Also, when I went to Stafford a while ago, there was a freight train or two passing through, but I never had chance to grab a decent shot.

I’d be really grateful if someone who knows some good spotting locations in the area could divulge their knowledge, there’s a theoretical pint in it for anyone who could be so kind as to lend a hand to a clueless nutcase such as myself!

Thanks

Nyall

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
Bescot isn't too good for getting shots of stuff without other things being the way.

I second Water Orton.

biggyn

Thanks chaps, much appreciated. Water Orton it is!! I never even thought of there, and I've seen loads of pics of freight in the past of freight going through Water Orton... And I can even blame old age for my forgetfulness!!

Freightmaster

Established Member
I was thinking of going somewhere either this Saturday afternoon or next Saturday to take some photos of freight trains...

Thanks chaps, much appreciated. Water Orton it is!!
Please be aware that while Water Orton is undoubtably a freight 'hotspot'
duting the week, it sees very little freight on a Saturday, especially in the
afternoon...

The main highlight is 6E41 Westerleigh to Lindsey empty tanks,
which is 60-hauled, and passes between 13:30 and 14:00,
but after that there can be nothing for several hours!

Sorry for the bad news - just thought I should warn you,

MARK

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Stourbridge Junction has a couple of freights in the evening (to Round Oak, as per your OP) usually around 17:30. The one from Round Oak (Kidderminster Bound) comes first on Weekdays. Also I can reccomemd anywhere on the Trent Valley (personally I'm a Tamworth man).

You can see Bescot yard from the train station platforms (xx04/xx34 from Galton Bridge calls there)

biggyn

Ahh right, that's something I was a bit worried about, a lack of freight on a Saturday, but thank you for the warning, I'd probably have got there and though "Well there ain't much going on here..."! What about tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, would there be much more going on then?

I may pop down Stourbridge Junction actually; I have spotted the Round Oak steel trains in the morning in the past so I could try Monday Morning, because of having a late-ish start into college on that day, and maybe even this evening. In fact, I may throw caution to the wind and catch the train to Hagley or Blakedown to see it from! (Yeah, I know, what a rebel ;) )

But yeah, plenty of choice for places! I may give Tamworth a go actually, never thought to go over there so I'll add that to the list. Would you recommend any specific times to go for optimum freight coverage?

Thank you all for your help that you've already provided and thanks in advance for any further help, I really do appreciate this!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.