• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Goodbye Doreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Doubt it was aimed at you ChrisM, more likely to be at me...

I will say I have never considered the 458s or 460s to be bad in any way, I do actually like them. Always have done. I liked the 458s from the first time I saw them, more so when I bashed one some months later, this being a long time being the 'last chance' clique got into the same thing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Gricer

2416 formed an up service with 2420 this morning. These units will return as the 11:35 Waterloo - Weymouth, and if a further run is needed (they are assessing the air-con) will lead the 16:00 Weymouth - Waterloo from Bournemouth.

(info from Andy Jupe, WRgen group)

Frank

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Doesn't make a great deal to me really. Bloody stupid thing though, might as well left in service rather than the fuss made about storing it and it coming back mere days later!

Still, if you insist on running the Southern Region like that, be my guest...

Hentis

Hi all,

Regarding the position of 2416. As originally stated on WRGEN and on my site Saturday August 5th should have indeed been her last run to Bournemouth. It had not run again as far as I am aware untill the following Friday where it has been reported above. It also ran again on Saturday afternoon. It was on the 13:35 from Waterloo arriving at Poole on time around 15:38. An Aircon engineer was on board. Seems as though the unit is either was stilll under evaluation or running in service but with engineer on board just in case some thing does go wrong.

It could be that Currently there are only 3 New Desiro 450's in the UK 450114 went on the system a few days ago apparently but is not yet in the UK possibly sometime next week and possibly followed by 450115. So whilst 1 pig is away on its holidays getting a repaint and from last Friday 2416 languishing at Bomo T&RSMD that leaves 22 units to run the entire daily timetable of 442 services between Waterloo & Weymouth. Twenty pigs are needed for a full days coverage. With 4 out. So considiering they only have 1 dessie on test and 2 extra for the Alton workings then they might have to re-evaluate Doreen and to see until at least they get half of the delivery of either 17 or 20 Desiros then 2416 will stay in service with the possibility of the enigineer being on board for that amount of time.

As to the age old argument as to what is better, well its personal opinion really. Some like the Dessies some like the Wessies. Having traveled from Waterloo - Poole on Both types of Dessies and a Pig I have to say the pigs take it. Although I must admit the Dessies do have a better Air conditioning.

The pigs are almost 20 years old and people would say at halflLife expectancy its bound to happen with the limited amount of parts available that early withdrawals would start to sustain the rest of the class.

Cheers

Hentis

Jim

Established Member
I have seen 2416 2 days in a row, in service

got 450112/113 on test yesterday at Soton

Status
Not open for further replies.