• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Google homepage...in Russian!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have just have had my computer engineer to facilitate a major update to my HP Pavilion "Super Computer" and I have always used Google as my homepage. However, when I switched online today, there was a note on the Google homepage to say that the headings were all in the Russian cyrillic alphabet and I was referred to a "translate now" button on the right hand side. Worried that I had been the subject of some misfeasance, I immediately switched to a DIFFERENT homepage, which was quite normal.

Has anyone else had this problem with a Google homepage this week?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am using Google Chrome as my browser.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I wondered if it might be one of those 'doodle' things they do from time to time to mark some anniversary or birthday, but it seemed normal when I looked.

rockford

Not sure what would have caused that, but it may be resolved if you set your homepage to www.google.co.uk/ncr (no country redirect).

SS4

Established Member
No doodle here (it's actually showing correctly). Sure it's very easy to change your homepage back but I'd be more concerned with the security, especially given the prevalence of Russian hackers.

I'd be doing a very thorough scan/reinstalling the OS if it were my pc

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'd be doing a very thorough scan/reinstalling the OS if it were my pc

This is why I have been off-line for much of the afternoon. Google Chrome has been totally removed from the system. I am not using any connected link now to Google. A three-hour deep scan checked on 2,525,778 items according to the produced report, with no type of virus being detected.

I did use the lap-top of my wife to read some internet blogs and it would appear that I am not the only recipient of the change of language on the homepage that occurred overnight.

Another thing that we appear to have in common is that ALL of us, noting the changes to the Google privacy policy that was presented as a fait accompli recently, was that all of us have gone through the Google sections one by one to ensure that the privacy policy only acts under the embargoes that we have put in place. Could this "language change" on the homepage be a piece of petulance on the part of Google, for not just accepting what they wished to put in place, as I had my doubts to the legality of their proposed action.

They have me living in places such as Wolverhampton, North Rode and even Shrewsbury on one occasion, rather than in the rural area NORTH of Macclesfield, so their knowledge of geographical matters seem to leave much to be desired.

flymo

Established Member
Living in Asia I have no end of difficulty with Google and the like particularly after I have cleared out my cookies etc, as Google always defaults to my regional settings and puts everything into Chinese.

I simply reset the language through the settings function on Chrome and thankfully read enough characters to know the Chinese characters for English.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Google always defaults to my regional settings.

I note that the comment that you make above seems to have been repeated in some of the other overseas cases that were reported on the internet blog that I was reading.

As I said in my previous posting, Google has had my location at far from where I live in the past....perhaps they might think that Russian will be more useful to me as they most probably have my location now as somewhere within the confines of the "Gulag" on the Kamchatka Peninsula....:roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
An update...

My computer engineer has just returned the tower to me and has assured me that much has been uninstalled then reinstalled. Everything is now working fine but I am not using Google Chrome as my browser for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
It may have just been a glitch in the updates the chrome does itself in the background from time to time.

If a scan brought up nothing then just uninstall it and reinstall and it should be fine.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It may have just been a glitch in the updates the chrome does itself in the background from time to time.

If a scan brought up nothing then just uninstall it and reinstall and it should be fine.

This has just been done earlier today when my computer engineer called to service the lap-top of my wife then had a final check on how my system was working after their work upon it.

Clip

Established Member
This has just been done earlier today when my computer engineer called to service the lap-top of my wife then had a final check on how my system was working after their work upon it.

Out of interest exactly what does your 'computer engineer' do for you? uninstalling and re-installing something like a browser(aprt from IE) is pretty simple to do.

richw

Veteran Member
A couple of days back I noticed all my google search results were Russian, for a period of 2-3 hours using ie8

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Out of interest exactly what does your 'computer engineer' do for you? uninstalling and re-installing something like a browser(apart from IE) is pretty simple to do.

For example, he has recently purchased and installed extra RAM inside my HP Pavilion h8-1214 tower system, which has 10GB of memory and 1.5TB hard drive. I make it a point of issue that I never go inside my tower as I know absolutely nothing about the workings of what is contained within there. It is a fully accredited computer service company to whom I gave the business of looking after all our computers when I was managing our Consultancy and it is their senior engineer who looks after our home equipment.

As I said before, he was visiting our home to make the annual service to her Toshiba lap-top and as he had installed the extra RAM in my system and wanted to see how much improvements had been made by this, he addressed any other current problems during his visit.

I am well aware of how to install and uninstall software on my own, thank you....:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.