• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Google Maps blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's the location of the old entrance to Westgate. Obviously it hasn't been updated to reflect the new entrance.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well if you go to google map maker (https://www.google.co.uk/mapmaker) you can contribute to fix theses issues

Since Google started allowing contributions like this, some well-meaning people have also been making 'corrections' that are incorrect. There was a period of time when many stations in London sometimes had 2 logos next to each other and London Overground-served stations sometimes got a name with a roundel and another with a BR logo. Things don't look too bad at the moment though.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
TomTom introduced a map correction feature many years ago, but usually needed a few reports before trusting it - or someone to be considered trustworthy based on previous accuracy. I do recall you being able to select to be told of updates that weren't verified, and warned of the risk.

Google appears to have had very poor checking and has been caught out many times.

philip.holgate

Waze is a peoples map you can alter it also report traffic problems and road works etc

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

talltim

Established Member
Is the current entrance to the east or west of the line. I'm assuming if its changed it is now west as the last time I used it was east and its been rebuilt since?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Still on the same side as previous just at the other end of the platforms.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Any way we can get the New Adlestrop map completed? It's been years! Sam

It has indeed! I started it when I had an (adult) bout of chicken pox and was confined at home for several days. I would love to have the time to do some more work on it. One of these days...

Well if you go to google map maker (https://www.google.co.uk/mapmaker) you can contribute to fix theses issues

Or rather than acting as unpaid labour for a massively profitable company which could afford to pay you, contribute to an open-source map (i.e. you can copy it without payment) instead! That map is of course openstreetmap.org... and my various contributions to that are one of the reasons I haven't had time to finish the New Adlestrop.

One of the great advantages of OSM over Google is that, because the data is free, you can download it and do whatever you like with it - style it differently, run a routing engine, whatever. There are several railway projects based on it, not just the Transport layer which is available from the main openstreetmap.org site, but also http://www.openrailwaymap.org/ and others.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have a hypothesis about extra stations such as at Kings Sutton and Kenley...

When there is a bus stop that Google thinks you should use to access the station, where the bus stop is not named after the station, it will appear with a station logo. In the backend data, it is associated with the real station, and Google's route planner will recommend this connection between bus and train.

talltim

Established Member
It has indeed! I started it when I had an (adult) bout of chicken pox and was confined at home for several days. I would love to have the time to do some more work on it. One of these days...

Or rather than acting as unpaid labour for a massively profitable company which could afford to pay you, contribute to an open-source map (i.e. you can copy it without payment) instead! That map is of course openstreetmap.org... and my various contributions to that are one of the reasons I haven't had time to finish the New Adlestrop.

One of the great advantages of OSM over Google is that, because the data is free, you can download it and do whatever you like with it - style it differently, run a routing engine, whatever. There are several railway projects based on it, not just the Transport layer which is available from the main openstreetmap.org site, but also http://www.openrailwaymap.org/ and others.
The problem with openstreetmap is that it has no satellite view, which is very useful for accurately tracing things such as closed railways
Lack of Streetview and to a lesser extent the 3D of Google and the Birds eye of Bing don't help either

Searle

Established Member
TomTom introduced a map correction feature many years ago, but usually needed a few reports before trusting it - or someone to be considered trustworthy based on previous accuracy. I do recall you being able to select to be told of updates that weren't verified, and warned of the risk.

Google appears to have had very poor checking and has been caught out many times.

Maybe a load of us should try and "correct" a fake station into the map and see if it gets accepted :lol:

Andrewlong

Wikipedia also works on the basis that unpaid members of the public make contributions accurate or otherwise - the current buzzword for it is collaboration! Though I grant you Wikipedia is always after donations to keep the service going! TripAdvisor is another collaborative website.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
The problem with openstreetmap is that it has no satellite view, which is very useful for accurately tracing things such as closed railways

No, OSM does have aerial/satellite imagery for editing - both Bing and Mapbox give free access to their (very good quality) imagery. It's not viewable on openstreetmap.org itself as a non-editing layer (because the Bing/Mapbox agreements don't permit that) but it's there for editing.

AndyNLondon

Wikipedia also works on the basis that unpaid members of the public make contributions accurate or otherwise - the current buzzword for it is collaboration! Though I grant you Wikipedia is always after donations to keep the service going! TripAdvisor is another collaborative website.

Wikipedia and OSM are both freely-reusable, allowing you to copy, adapt, modify, etc, as long as you allow others to do the same with your results, whereas TripAdvisor, Google Mapmaker, etc., take your contributions but don't allow you to reuse the resulting content elsewhere. (Wikipedia generally, and the openstreetmap.org map renders, are licensed as Creative Commons, and the openstreetmap data is provided using a slightly different license that's more suited to databases.)

A popular phrase to describe the difference between something being freely-reusable and merely being free to access is "free as in speech, not free as in beer". (Or, for French speakers, libre vs. gratis.)

Searle

Established Member
I've noticed this "blunder" from google maps as well, actually

yi999Gp.png

spelling error on Google Maps said:
Lincoln Crentral Station

Last edited by a moderator:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Blunder? Fair distance? It's on the platform not in Beirut!

More importantly it's on the wrong side of the line, and would send anyone unfamiliar with Wakefield to a place with no road access, no way of getting into the station, and in a narrow poorly lit space between the railway line and the prison holding some of the country's most notorious and dangerous killers!

Then again it could be worse... they could end up in the city centre! <D

Last edited:

Andrewlong

More importantly it's on the wrong side of the line, and would send anyone unfamiliar with Wakefield to a place with no road access, no way of getting into the station, and in a narrow poorly lit space between the railway line and the prison holding some of the country's most notorious and dangerous killers!

Then again it could be worse... they could end up in the city centre! <D

If it's not in the right place, request Google maps to move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.