• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Google Street View - at night??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucan

Established Member
I was recently watching a Londonist video about abandoned London Tube stations

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMGjZgEPhM

.. and decided to look for the site of City Road Station in EC1 on Google Street View. I found that some of the street view around here was done at night! It is the first time I have ever seen this, and how useless it is :-

moreland_st.jpg

There is also an increasing amount of Street View done by pedestrian controlled cameras, I gather the camera is on a mast on a kind of Zimmer frame. While this is OK in pedestrian areas, it is even done on traffic roads, which is poor because (1) the mast is lower so the view is blocked even by vans, and (2) the view of the street is much more one-sided than if it were done by the normal vehicle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
as pedestrians to be fair they should never do other than pedestrian movements where vehicles cannot travel
and doubt as a responsible employer they would not put them at danger following practices not permitted under common law or employment law by pedestrians or employees

A Challenge

Established Member
I believe there is quite a bit of east London done at night, but can't be too sure. If you are on a computer, you can change which street view image you are looking at (to past ones) and one will probably be in daylight (this will probably work for the pedestrian camera on roads as well)

Lucan

Established Member
Thanks for that. I guess this must be the "City Road" of the traditional song :
Up and down the City Road
In and out the Eagle
That's the way the money goes
Pop! goes the weasel.
With a bit more Googling I have found there is a pub called "The Eagle" in this City Road, with the rhyme on a plaque on its wall.

route101

Established Member
Anyone know how long there is between taking the view and then updating on google maps?

TRAX

Established Member
You have the date of upload of the views at the bottom of them.

Bedpan

Established Member
Looking down Moreland Street, the first daylight view that you come to has a "Road Closed" and "No Entry" sign in the immediate foreground, so I wonder if they have had to go back one evening after it had got dark to photograph the missing section. Both the daylight and darkness sections are dated 9/2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.