• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Google Talk launched

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Google has, today, launched its latest service! Google Talk is an instant messaging service.

www.google.com/talk/

You require a Google account (GMail automatically gives you one, etc!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Not got time to sign up tonight, but when I get back home, I´ll be signing up. I´ll get a GMAil account, and the username/addy will be big-rick95 AT gmail DOT com.
I´ll let you know when I am signed up so you can add me to your list (if you so wish). ;)

tramboy

arrowgroup for me.

I use gmail as the account for fictional transport goings on mainly!

Regards

Dave

Lewisham2221

Established Member
So, what are peoples thoughts on Google Talk so far then? Personally, I think that at the moment it isn't too great, but only being a beta and all that, it certainly has lots of potential to become a good rival to popular VoIP services like Skype and other IM services like MSN.

tramboy

At the moment it is rather basic, although the neat, compact, white design does sit on my desktop better than messenger. The VoIP service it provides currently has been compared to Skype (not by me, but by someone who has skype) and says that the quality is better than skype. If it gains an external dialling service and more compatability with other messengers then it can go on to rival skype, trillian and other messengers out there.

I'm expecting it to stay in Beta for a long time tho...longer than Gmail, so they can play with it a lot!!

Cheers

Dave

bluecont

tramboy said:
better than messenger

Might be best if you emphasised that you mean better than MSN Messenger..

Back to topic

My opinions of google talk is its very nice and simple, as above. Although it does lack basically all of the bells and whistles of Yahoo and MSN Messenger. But it provides a nice improvement of Gmail notifier, if that is what you want.
I like the VOIP setup, but I have little comparison with Yahoo or MSN. I feel it might fall down currently on the lack of group conversations.

But I shall continue to run it, with interest as google try and compete with the other big names.

Ian

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It's interesting, although having a group converse looks impossible via it at the moment.

I shall continue to use MSN Messenger though, Google Talk does nothing to make me want to take that off at the moment.

There is talk of a VOIP setup. What is this exactly?

I'll be keeping my eye on Google Talk for future development, but as I say it's a long way off from being competition for any of the rivals yet.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
It does nothing for me, I think currently its complete rubbish, i've yet to try the voip/telephone thingy mind, however it does have a cool ringtone hehe :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
Much as I like google, I'm a bit concerned they're diversifying into too many things and "diluting" if you like their effect...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks yorkie, but for my benefit, would you able to break down what it does into terms 'norms' (in this sense, 'norms' are those, including myself I stress to add, who do not deal with ICT technology and its associated nonsense for a living or hobby) could understand.

Cockfosters, very good point there. Google are trying to do a Bill Gates and conquer the world, to some extent. They should focus on doing what they do best, that being a fantastic search engine. Don't get me wrong, I like Google too, just you shouldn't cast your net too far out, you'll catch only a nominal amount. Focus on those areas where you're likely to pull in a load, and you'll reap the rewards.

The Snap

Established Member
I will be signing up soon, as said above, but I am getting MSNM soon! :D

Tom B

Established Member
RichardH said:
but I am getting MSNM soon! :D

Why get M$N messenger, when (if you're using Bindoze) Windows Messenger is bundled with Bindoze XP? Does the job perfectly. If you're using a proper OS then use gaim ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.