• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gordon Pettitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

WessexWarrior

I saw this unit sitting at Wimbledon Traincare Depot yesterday... any ideas why it was there/its future at this point in time? All i've heard is that it's for sale.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Driver Potter was missing it, so in the dark of night he (well, someone anyway... in the daylight :p) removed it from the nasty depths of Bournemouth and deposited it back home, before shunting it round to the front in full view of the public :)

T

Tom

And it has done 2 weeks of its 3 week visit to Wimbledon too...

TheSlash

Established Member
Driver Potter was missing it, so in the dark of night he (well, someone anyway... in the daylight :p) removed it from the nasty depths of Bournemouth and deposited it back home, before shunting it round to the front in full view of the public :)
*Phones the men in white coats*
"Look! Look! I told you he was crazier than me!!" :geek:

RJ

Established Member
The unit is being used as a shield to prevent the shiny plastic getting dirty whilst the shed gets a repaint. Wimbo men not happy!

Keelar001

Heathen!

All trains are "she's", even when they've got blokes names...

The Old Girl is owned by SWT.

Dennis

Established Member
Seems an odd way for them to treat a 'prized' (albeit financially almost worthless) asset. I have to question, why are SWT keeping it, after all it's never going to work any revenue earning services.

thefab444

Established Member
Could be something to do with the fact they maintain three Class 73s, which are fairly useless now... unless they did a 57/3 on 'em. I mean, they could sell off two and all the Slammers and just use a 450 on the branch. Shame they couldn't do 73 + 423 + 421 + 73 "Seaside Specials"... actually, if Pettitt was fixed up with CDL and they applied for dispensation (given that the 73s are acting as barriers), it could be possible.

All of the heritage fleet is owned by SWT, 73109, 73201, 73235, 1497, 1498, 3417 and 960012.

Keelar001

SWT actually own:
73 109
421 497
421 498
423 417

And the Bubble Car.

Porterbrook own:
73 201

Oh, and the rest of the fleet.

T

Tom

Angel have the rest of the fleet..... at least the Desiros.... :lol:

thefab444

Established Member
Do they? I thought the whole reason 158786/158789 were ditched was so the entire diesel fleet could be Porterbrook. Or was it the other way around?

T

Tom

Angel:
158796/798
450001-127
444001-045
442401-424

Porterbrook:
Rest of SWT fleet

Coxster

Established Member
158796/798
158786/158789 actually ;) Anyway, they've left us now. I know for sure that at least one is currently operating with ScotRail, and will be moving to Northern IIRC. Not sure on the other one's whereabouts but it certainly isn't with us down here anymore.

Daniel

Established Member
Oh, really? And there was I, thinking that 158786 was on a SWT service Inverness - Aberdeen ;)...

1007592oo2.jpg

Established Member
I was told by a manager from SWT where it MIGHT be going, i was also told to keep it quiet, im sure u will all find out in due course!

Established Member
I was told by a manager from SWT where it MIGHT be going, i was also told to keep it quiet, im sure u will all find out in due course!

I hope it says on the network and dosent go to some Preserved railway except Swanage and Mid Hants:smile::smile:

ChrisCooper

Established Member
If it wasn't for the damned HSE they could keep it and use it on railtours and other heritage workings along with the CIGs. The problem is to do that not only would it need central door locking fitted, which would be very costly due to all the doors, but it probably wouldn't be allowed anyway due to crashworthness. Whilst some Mk1 stock has exemptions, these are mostly loco hauled and require a barrier vehicle at either end of the train which is either not Mk1 or doesn't carry fare paying passengers. The only exeption is the Hastings Thumper but that has the engine compartments at each end of the train. Oviously the rules are stupid and provide no safety benefit (the barrier coach could just as easily ride up onto the coach behind as the other way around), but still they are there and have to be followed. Whether the HSE would give out more exemptions is questionable anyway, or even if they will renew existing ones when they run out.

thefab444

Established Member
They could do 73 + 423 + 421 + 73 - thus getting around the barrier vehicle restrictions - and seal up some of the doors on the VEP to lower costs of fitting CDL. Though I'm sure they could be easily re-cooperated by a few railtours.

Status
Not open for further replies.