• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gospel Oak to Barking Line (GOBLIN) electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

The first piece in the jigsaw, please see link.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...-Churchill-Road-footbridge-reconstr-2174.aspx

Drop-in session for Tufnell Park residents to find out more about Churchill Road footbridge reconstruction

Members of the public are invited to attend a drop-in-event to find out more about the reconstruction of Churchill Road footbridge in Tufnell Park, north London.

The event will take place on Wednesday October 15th at Ingestre Road Community Centre, Ingestre Road, in Tufnell Park from 4pm to 8pm. Members of the Network Rail project team will be on hand to answer any questions.

The footbridge is more than 130 years old and needs to be replaced. The new footbridge will be higher, preparing the line for future greener, quieter and spacious new electric trains.

At present, the footbridge does not have the required height....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W230

Established Member
I assumed it had already started. They've been messing about rebuilding this bridge over the line here for ages. Maybe it's just something else?

hassaanhc

Established Member
I assumed it had already started. They've been messing about rebuilding this bridge over the line here for ages. Maybe it's just something else?
Ah, Palmerston Road. That bridge was found to be very weak, and a 3T limit was imposed in 2012 before works began to replace the bridge.

class303

Massive line-side clearance work been undertaken in the Walthamstow area cuttings. Is this anything to do with the upcoming electrification? When is the line expected to be electrified?

Cheers

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Massive line-side clearance work been undertaken in the Walthamstow area cuttings. Is this anything to do with the upcoming electrification? When is the line expected to be electrified?

The last NR enhancement plan showed the main work not starting until Dec 2015, with an 18 month duration - I expect for the May 2017 timetable change.

westcoaster

Established Member
(wishful thinking mode)

Would it be possible to extend the wires and services to West Hampstead thameslink via the Tottenham curves, a platform could be built next to the up slow in the space there.

(Return to real life ).

joeykins82

Any service via the Tottenham North curve wouldn't be able to call at Gospel Oak, and I'm not sure that any passengers who wanted to get somewhere other than West Hampstead would be particularly pleased at losing their interchange to other NLL services! It's not like West Hampstead Overground is an arduous journey from Gospel Oak...

TheKnightWho

Established Member
(wishful thinking mode)

Would it be possible to extend the wires and services to West Hampstead thameslink via the Tottenham curves, a platform could be built next to the up slow in the space there.

(Return to real life ).

Why not just extend it to West Hampstead for interchange?

And presumably the wires will be linked up regardless. The NLL is already electrified, as is Thameslink at that point.

joeykins82

If the NLL is to get extra services it makes far more sense for them to be Stratford to ClaphamJcn/Richmond; the section via Highbury & Islington is extremely congested. The NLL-GOBLIN interchange is cross platform in the Eastbound direction. I'm really not sure what purpose would be served by extending GOBLIN services anywhere (and yes I know that there's a PIXC buster that runs to Willesden Junction, skipping Gospel Oak in the morning peaks)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I saw something in the London Evening Standard or Metro newspapers a few days ago saying that the GOBLIN Line was to be extended from Barking Station to a big housing area, possible called Riverside if I remember correctly. I hope the news trains will therefore be formed of more than the existing 2 coaches which they are now. I guess some alterations will have to be made at Barking Station to facilitate this proposed extention?

EM2

Established Member
LOROL have said there won't be longer trains until electrification, so I would assume that the Riverside extension would be done at the same time.
However, assuming anything is a dangerous game to play when it comes to the railway :D

joeykins82

class303

Any service via the Tottenham North curve wouldn't be able to call at Gospel Oak, and I'm not sure that any passengers who wanted to get somewhere other than West Hampstead would be particularly pleased at losing their interchange to other NLL services! It's not like West Hampstead Overground is an arduous journey from Gospel Oak...

Sorry wasn't the Tottenham north curve the curve that used to connect South Tottenham to Tottanham Hale? http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-tram-london/index.php?gpslat=51.583175&gpslon=-0.064005&zoom=4

I'm confused to which curve is being referred to.

EDIT

sorry clearly there are 2 Tottenham north curves. Nowhere near Tottenham though.... http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-tram-london/index.php?gpslat=51.553052&gpslon=-0.149209&zoom=5

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
And presumably the wires will be linked up regardless. The NLL is already electrified, as is Thameslink at that point.

The link from the MML to the T&H will indeed be wired.
I think the theory is that it will be used for electric freight once the MML wiring is finished.
Electric ECS could exchange between MML/ECML that way too.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

The NLL paths are already fully utilised. That's why the peak Stratford - Clapham Jn service doesn't run all day, and in the off-peak two of the Clapham Jn services terminate at Willesden Jn.

Running the Goblin service west of Gospel Oak would add 4 tph of westbound conflicting moves across the eastbound NLL at a flat junction.

21C101

Established Member
Better still would be if the curve to kentish town were still there then it could join onto the trains that terminate at KT and become part of Thameslink as a Sevenoaks to Barking service.

Established Member
Wouldn't GOB Line be a better term?

NO! It is the T&H.

Better still would be if the curve to kentish town were still there then it could join onto the trains that terminate at KT and become part of Thameslink as a Sevenoaks to Barking service.

And running 4 cars from Sevenoaks is a good idea? Bit of a mis-match in passenger loadings there.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
The link from the MML to the T&H will indeed be wired.
I think the theory is that it will be used for electric freight once the MML wiring is finished.
Electric ECS could exchange between MML/ECML that way too.

Should add, I believe that Haringay Park curve is to be wired also.

Is there any planned re-signalling of the T&H to increase capacity or has that been deemed unnecessary?

21C101

Established Member
NO! It is the T&H.

And running 4 cars from Sevenoaks is a good idea? Bit of a mis-match in passenger loadings there.

I was thinking more along the lines of extending Goblin platforms to 8 car with SDO where not possible.

racyrich

I always imagined a Gatwick-Stansted service myself.

I know the flat junctions would be ruinous for Thameslink and the Lea Valley line.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
No planned re-signalling but it may well be needed despite only having been done in the last couple of years.

It can cope easily with 8 tph, which is more than it is likely to see in the foreseeable future.

And if anyone mentions lots of freight London Gateway, it isn't going to happen!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
NO! It is the T&H.

Strictly speaking, TAH, or if spoken, T'n'H. But definitely not G*B.

Established Member
So long as you don't pronounce the first h in haitch ;)

Will London Gateway have little effect as far as rail is concerned, will it just abstract traffic from Tilbury, leaving Felixstowe relatively unaffected? The Thameshaven branch is being electrified as well so someone must be expecting some sort of return.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
how is it progressing?

Contract signed with Murphy and Sons, GRIP 3 and 4 complete, work now underway, with first major on-site works due summer 2016. The completion is due by April/May 2017.

Stock ordered as part of the TfL Bombardier order.

Lurpi

According to this community forum, there was piling on GOBLIN taking place between Christmas Day and New Year's Day. See also Camden New Journal here.

One of the forum members quotes a letter stating works as follows:

Gospel Oak area - 25 December - 1am till 12 midday

Gospel Oak to Upper Holloway - Sunday 27th / Monday 28th - 8am to 8pm

Crouch Hill to South Tottenham - Sunday 27th / Monday 28th - 8am to 8pm

East Coast Mainline connection with Gospel Oak to Barking line - Monday 28th to Boxing Day (sic) [presume this means New Years Eve of New Years Day] - 8am to 8pm

With further work on Sunday 24th and 31 January.

It's not explicitly stated there whether all that work is piling or other stuff too.

Status
Not open for further replies.