• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gosport Ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
OK, last silly question of the day.

Why doesn't the Gosport Ferry sell single tickets? It seems enough people want them that they put a sign up rather than offer them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
How else are you going to get back from there ? Are you sure people only want a one way journey? I'm sure they probably dont

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Last time I used it was one way - ferry to Gosport and later on bus to Fareham. Wasn't there a time when you only had to pay in one direction (a bit like the Severn Bridge Tolls) ?

cumbrianbill

In my youth I lived in Southsea and worked in Gosport for a year. This would have been 1982 - 1983. They only collected tickets on the Gosport to Portsmouth trips. For the majority of the year I caught the ferry free of charge and then cycled back around, so saving the fare. It now seems that there are ticket issuing facilities at Portsmouth, but I'm not sure whether tickets are actually checked in the Portsmouth to Gosport direction. They charge for cycles now also.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In my youth I lived in Southsea and worked in Gosport for a year. This would have been 1982 - 1983. They only collected tickets on the Gosport to Portsmouth trips. For the majority of the year I caught the ferry free of charge and then cycled back around, so saving the fare. It now seems that there are ticket issuing facilities at Portsmouth, but I'm not sure whether tickets are actually checked in the Portsmouth to Gosport direction. They charge for cycles now also.

There are TVMs at Portsmouth and I can confirm tickets are checked. A quirk like that would explain why, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.