• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Got a start date for southeastern trainee driver :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxie

Got confirmation from southeastern that I passed my medical and have been given a start date for trainee train driver. Any advice on what I can expect and any other advice in general. Looking forward to a new chapter in my life.

Hi to everyone by the way

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tlionhart

Got confirmation from southeastern that I passed my medical and have been given a start date for trainee train driver. Any advice on what I can expect and any other advice in general. Looking forward to a new chapter in my life.

Hi to everyone by the way

First of all congratulations!
The course starts with corporate inductions, tour of the depot/mess rooms and fun games and inductions. (Pink fluffy stuff that lasts about 3 days) then you will do PTS. Its actually not straight forward if your new to the railway and railway terminology/equipment is alien to you. So will require revision. You must pass this, otherwise you cannot continue with the course. It does hit you quick, unlike most jobs ease you in...this one kind of doesn't. Lol
Lots of exams (require high passes), revision, info overload. There's no garuntee that those who are trainees will become drivers. Fail the course and you'll be put into a different position. Realism is, it does happen. On average it works out around 1 a course. So putting your social life aside, plans on hold is must and the course will be your priority for the next 12-14months. On the plus side it's a great laugh (with fellow trainees and staff), superb travel perks and of course the salary when you pass-out. Work hard, play hard! Don't read ahead (glad I didn't, it will confuse the hell out of you. The course is constructed to have a methodical approach) it's not difficult, it's just info overload. Which you have to pick up/understand quickly as you'll usually have an exam 3-4 days later. Sometimes 2-3 exams (covering different subjects in week). You get around 4days to study it, however you can't sit back and hope for the best. Work hard, play hard. You will get some Saturday or Sunday to yourself, (brain rest is also important) however one of the days needs to be study day. Most of all enjoy the course! :D

Coxie

Thanks for the info mate I'm greatful you took the time to write all that. I'm focused and know it have to dedicate, I know I will have to do a lot of revising in the evenings and that when I finish work for the day that doesn't mean I shouldn't do more.

tlionhart

Thanks for the info mate I'm greatful you took the time to write all that. I'm focused and know it have to dedicate, I know I will have to do a lot of revising in the evenings and that when I finish work for the day that doesn't mean I shouldn't do more.

Your welcome. :)
The exams are important. In theory your assessed on everything you do (punctuality, interaction with others, knowledge when instructor asks questions, etc) so its easy to be booted off the course if you don't put the effort in. Seems you have a good positive attitude to the studying which is important. :)
Don't feel intimidated or stupid if you don't know something or don't understand. Instructors will do all they can to help. Also be honest when you don't understand something.
It's more of a shock to those who have been away from the classroom in centuries. So good preparation would be to look at studying and learning methods. Maybe ask you school/college son or daughter on tips. ;)

Morgan649

Congratulations on getting in!
Ive just applied and wondered can you tell me how long it took from applying until you herd if you had an interview ? And what happens after that ? Cheers

evoice

Big congratulations coxie. I believe you will be starting from 6th July. If so, see you there :).
You should get your contract offer pretty soon. No car parking facilities for trainees in the training centre I am afraid. You get a temporary travelcard for SE trains only though. Well good luck and hope we all get through the training.

Coxie

Morgan I applied last august done my assessment in march and had DMI a few weeks later so from the tests onwards it was pretty fast for me as some people wait ages for an interview. If you pass your application you'll get assessment date at some point just relax and try to be consistent rather than rush and make mistakes or let your performance level drop, you have to show you can concentrate at the same level for a period of time.

Thanks again Tlionhart I plan to come home and type up all my notes on the computer and file them to make revision easier to do, if you have any other method of storing the information in the brain then please share lol.

Evoice I start in September mate but good luck with your start and hopefully we can help eachother out on here.

Morgan649

Thanks for the info! Do they take an intake of people from all areas to train a big group from all over the country ? Is there a main training centre ?

Coxie

Think they have a couple of training centres they kept me local but I think they have one in ashford too

l0c0m0t1ve

if you have any other method of storing the information in the brain then please share lol.

I would say having someone to help you revise also helps. If you get them to ask you questions etc. You can also ask them if they know something (which they mostly likely wont) then explain it to them - I think by telling other people things, it helps you to retain the information yourself rather than just thinking about it or reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.