• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Got the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
They are both coming down in price. The Nikon was closer to £3k about a month ago, and the Canon was just about £5k. At the rate they are coming down, we should all be able to afford one each soon.

PeterH

maybe we could all club together and by one then all use it on diffrent days ....lol
As good as thay are i got a e500 its not what i want to carry around all day

Dennis

Established Member
PeterH said:
maybe we could all club together and by one then all use it on diffrent days ....lol
As good as thay are i got a e500 its not what i want to carry around all day

Is that an Olympus E500? Is it any good? I was thinking of getting one to replace my Fuji FinePix F455. The F455 works well when the lighting is good and has the advantage of being the size of a packet of fags (so easily hidden away when trouble might be looming). It is also easy to poke through fences. The disadavantage of the F455 is that in poor lighting conditions, it is not very good, the images often being very 'speckly'. The limited amount of manual control available can be used to open up the aperture to help overcome this but then depth of focus is reduced. The lens of my F455 also suffers from spherical abberation, this is not normally noticeable unless there are long, straight objects near the edges of the frame (where they appear curved).

Bill EWS

HI Guys,
This is the great little kit I got myself a week or so back. Camera King appear to be the cheapest around for Canon equipment and accessories. They are just a small unit in a trading estate in Harlesden. You can either purchase off the internet, or as I did, phone up and arrange to visit the shop and check things out before buying. This also gave me a chance to use the Bakerloo Line to Queens Park and then a Silverlink train to Harlesden, which was interesting after trying the new BVE Route.

http://www.cameraking.co.uk/ViewPro...goryname= Digital SLR & Kits&subcat_code=283

Here are a couple of pictures I took a week today....

165113SloughCentralStation(April2006)b.jpg

VictorianCouple(WindsorApril2006)b.jpg

Bill EWS

Hi LesJordans,
With Respect, don't be fooled by the hype! The Canon lenses, sensor and processor are all pretty much the same, so what extra are you getting for the money! Not a Lot, I don't think. I could have spent another £100 on the 'Grip', which is no more than a spare battery holder and doesn't help weight and bulk wise' either.

The 350D Kit I bought has all the fascillities that I require in my type of photography. Two lenses that cover a great range from 18mm to 200mm, Macro and a neat 'servo' that allows the Auto Focus to follow a moving object (such as a train) and keep it in focus until you take the picture. Presets for taking Scenic (maximum depth of field) or Portrait (miniumum depth of field on character) and Shutter Speed to stop fast moving objects. Not to forget Auto Flash for when it's required. You can also change the ASA (ISO) settings from 100 to 1800 at the click of a switch.

All I need to carry, on a photographic outing, all in my light weight camera bag. There are probably dozens of other fascillities that I will never use, nor would the average photographer!!!

If you can afford to spend nearly £2000 on the high range model, why not buy something closer to the 350D range and book a great 'travel' holiday and take lots and lots of lovely pictures!!!!!

Cheers.

BillEWS.

PeterH

Hi only had the E500 a few days havent had time to realy use it as it keeps raining (roll on the summer) but it is great to hold and easy to use plus it has something nikon/canon dont have a ccd cleaning system .thats why i went for olympus ..friends got a nikon its been back to jessops 3 time to have the ccd cleaned so soon as that thing in the sky called sun comes out ill nock off some pics

David

Established Member
Jonno2055 said:
For that I could have got one of those big professional cameras for £3000.
They are the "big profeesional cameras". They just don't come with the lenses.

Lesjordans

Bill EWS said:
Hi LesJordans,
With Respect, don't be fooled by the hype! The Canon lenses, sensor and processor are all pretty much the same, so what extra are you getting for the money! Not a Lot, I don't think. I could have spent another £100 on the 'Grip', which is no more than a spare battery holder and doesn't help weight and bulk wise' either.

The 350D Kit I bought has all the fascillities that I require in my type of photography. Two lenses that cover a great range from 18mm to 200mm, Macro and a neat 'servo' that allows the Auto Focus to follow a moving object (such as a train) and keep it in focus until you take the picture. Presets for taking Scenic (maximum depth of field) or Portrait (miniumum depth of field on character) and Shutter Speed to stop fast moving objects. Not to forget Auto Flash for when it's required. You can also change the ASA (ISO) settings from 100 to 1800 at the click of a switch.

All I need to carry, on a photographic outing, all in my light weight camera bag. There are probably dozens of other fascillities that I will never use, nor would the average photographer!!!

If you can afford to spend nearly £2000 on the high range model, why not buy something closer to the 350D range and book a great 'travel' holiday and take lots and lots of lovely pictures!!!!!

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Aye good Point, i think these 'big' cameras have voice recording but i wouldnt make good use of it anyway, and these cameras generally have a fast n/o FPS eg 8. My Next Lens for my 350D is the 70-200 f4 L Lens

jonb

Established Member
Top camera however i've heard Nikon are in the process of releasing an upgrade to the D2X, we shall see...

Status
Not open for further replies.