• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gothenburg - Stockholm - Umeå sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I have to get to Umeå in northern Sweden for a business meeting later this year. Happily, travel expenses will be paid, so I might have some more interesting options for getting there, including SJ sleeper train.

Umeå Airport has connections with SAS from London Heathrow and Norwegian from Gatwick, but because of my where I'll be starting my journey in the UK, I will likely fly into another Swedish city with KLM via Amsterdam. KLM don't interline with any of the Swedish airlines, so while I could buy a separate ticket on another airline, I'm thinking of taking the train.

I had assumed I'd fly to Stockholm, and then catch SJ train 92 from Arlanda Central Station late in the evening overnight to Umeå. There'd be a bit of a wait between my flight and the train at Arlanda, but perhaps even enough for me to go into Stockholm for some sightseeing and dinner before joining the train.

But checking the timetables, I realised that this train actually begins its journey five hours earlier in Gothenburg, and I could equally fly with KLM to Gothenburg and join the train from its origin. Departure time from home is the same and there's at least two hours in Gothenburg to get from the airport to the station, which is next to the (airprort) bus terminal.

Gothenburg to Umeå in a private 2nd class compartment is 3,362kr; Arlanda to Umeå is 3,226kr return. Flights cost about the same to either Arlanda or Gothenburg.

Has anyone taken this train and has anyone got any suggestions about the preferred option?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
Arlanda is far out from Stockholm so that will limit your sightseeing in Stockholm. The Arlanda express is rather expensive. So that needs to be taken into consideration.

bspahh

Established Member
I have to get to Umeå in northern Sweden for a business meeting later this year. Happily, travel expenses will be paid, so I might have some more interesting options for getting there, including SJ sleeper train.

Has anyone taken this train and has anyone got any suggestions about the preferred option?

I've been to Umeå three times, but I've only ever flown there. Twice I went with Norwegian from Gatwick via Arlanda. Another time I went from Gothenburg, on a flight where the plane stopped at Stockholm Bromma, for an hour and then continued.

I've been on the sleeper from Malmo to Stockholm a couple of times. Its a nice experience, with a shower cubicle in the 1st class compartments.

If you go via Gothenburg, there is a bus into the city centre, which works pretty well. You can buy a bus ticket http://www.flygbussarna.se beforehand. The bit of Gothenburg near the station is perfectly OK, but its a bit sterile. I like the burgers from this place http://thestockyard.se/ which is a 15 minute walk.

In Umeå, I've stayed in the Scandic hotel (a bit bland) and in a pirate-themed room here https://storahotelletumea.se/en/our-guestrooms (not bland!)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think the Arlanda Express trains use 2 different stations at the Airport. There is another for other SJ trains, so do double check.

AlexNL

Established Member
That's correct.

Arlanda Express exclusively serves Arlanda Norra (North, terminal 5) and Arlanda Södra (South, terminals 2, 3 and 4). Arlanda Central is not served by AE, but is served by SJ, SJ Regional and SL. SJ Night Trains also call at Arlanda Central.

I took it in 1991. Very civilised then. The trains are designed to do serious mileages through serious weather and it shows, I think they still have same vehicles although operation has been in the hands of a couple of franchises before coming back to SJ the other year. I would check what catering they now have, back then there was a restaurant/self service car which provided all you needed but without much luxury... the accountants may have chopped even that.

rf_ioliver

Arlanda is far out from Stockholm so that will limit your sightseeing in Stockholm. The Arlanda express is rather expensive. So that needs to be taken into consideration.

20 minutes on Arlanda Express...after walking to the station and buying ticket, approx 40 mins from plane to city centre. Cost is 280Kr single (full list of prices here: https://www.arlandaexpress.com/priser.aspx ) Trains are every 10 minutes during the day. Lots of places to eat around Stockholm City Terminalen/Central

You could also use Arlanda C for the commuter trains between Stockholm and Uppsala: cheaper but less trains and a PITA to buy a ticket for the correct operator.

t.

Ian

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.

Inbound to Stockholm, I'm looking at a KLM connection into ARN around 4 PM, with the sleeper train passing through at 11 PM. This'll be in on a Sunday, however. This is a long connection to hang around the airport, perhaps ok for a trip to Stockholm for a meal and a drink before catching the train from Central station.

Flying to Gothenburg doesn't cost much more, and has a much shorter (2-3 hour) connection time before catching the sleeper. I'd spend less time hanging around an airport or a city, and more time on the sleeper enjoying whatever is left of daylight and a bite to eat in the bistro. I've heard there's a cinema car on some SJ sleepers - I'm not sure if this is still available.

I've been to Umeå three times, but I've only ever flown there. Twice I went with Norwegian from Gatwick via Arlanda. Another time I went from Gothenburg, on a flight where the plane stopped at Stockholm Bromma, for an hour and then continued.

Just for some more detail - I'm starting my journey in Norwich on a Sunday. Gatwick is a real slog, Heathrow less so, but I'd have to leave earlier than usual to accommodate Sunday engineering works. Norwegian are around £275 return from Gatwick, SAS around the same from Heathrow. KLM from Norwich via Amsterdam is a little more expensive, but they are always my preference because the airport experience is so much nicer and I can leave my house less than 60 minutes before the flight leaves.

I'm hoping that I can demonstrate the overnight train(s) are worth the extra expense because they'll save hotel costs in Umeå.

Arlanda Express exclusively serves Arlanda Norra (North, terminal 5) and Arlanda Södra (South, terminals 2, 3 and 4). Arlanda Central is not served by AE, but is served by SJ, SJ Regional and SL. SJ Night Trains also call at Arlanda Central.

Which is the great appeal of Arlanda - I can arrive by plane in the evening and catch the night train a few hours later.

Is there not an evening train you could take and then just get a hotel?

I could take the SJ high-speed train in at least one direction (around 5 hours), but I'm keen to try the sleeper at least one-way.

dutchflyer

Established Member
The main potential obstacle is serious delay at KLM for the 2nd flight. And that is not at all unusual.
Many of the in-EUR short flghts rely heavily on incoming pax from KLM's large INtercontinental network and thus often have to wait long times for transit pax. Also, I believe the ride from Gotenburg-airpt to trainstation by bus is not very short. (GOT has 2 airports, but I don't know which one KLM uses). I have no idea how long it may take to collect luggage there. You should have passed Schengen-area entry in AMS, that saves time.
A cheaper way from ARL to STO-centralen is by SL bus+lokaltag combo-takes longer and need to buy tickets before by card at a 7-11 shop on a local Oyster-type card. (I think named acess). One of the ARL -expr. stations is right beside the local one for SJ/UL=upplands trafiken to Uppsala. Different entry due to giant difference in fares.

Veteran Member
Another option would be to do the short hop to Uppsala, which is a very pleasant city, before boarding the sleeper at 23.35 (which is 22.35 UK time, so about right for bedtime) - it does shorten the night a bit though.

JonasB

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.

Inbound to Stockholm, I'm looking at a KLM connection into ARN around 4 PM, with the sleeper train passing through at 11 PM. This'll be in on a Sunday, however. This is a long connection to hang around the airport, perhaps ok for a trip to Stockholm for a meal and a drink before catching the train from Central station.

Flying to Gothenburg doesn't cost much more, and has a much shorter (2-3 hour) connection time before catching the sleeper. I'd spend less time hanging around an airport or a city, and more time on the sleeper enjoying whatever is left of daylight and a bite to eat in the bistro. I've heard there's a cinema car on some SJ sleepers - I'm not sure if this is still available.

No cinema cars anymore. But taking the train from Gothenburg will give you more sleep as it is a long trip and the train arrives early in Umeå. And you might have at least a bit daylight during your trip.

Just for some more detail - I'm starting my journey in Norwich on a Sunday. Gatwick is a real slog, Heathrow less so, but I'd have to leave earlier than usual to accommodate Sunday engineering works. Norwegian are around £275 return from Gatwick, SAS around the same from Heathrow. KLM from Norwich via Amsterdam is a little more expensive, but they are always my preference because the airport experience is so much nicer and I can leave my house less than 60 minutes before the flight leaves.

I'm hoping that I can demonstrate the overnight train(s) are worth the extra expense because they'll save hotel costs in Umeå.

Compared to a hotel room, the overnight train is probably very good value.

Also, I believe the ride from Gotenburg-airpt to trainstation by bus is not very short. (GOT has 2 airports, but I don't know which one KLM uses). I have no idea how long it may take to collect luggage there.

Landvetter is now the only airport open to airlines in Gothenburg.

A cheaper way from ARL to STO-centralen is by SL bus+lokaltag combo-takes longer and need to buy tickets before by card at a 7-11 shop on a local Oyster-type card. (I think named acess). One of the ARL -expr. stations is right beside the local one for SJ/UL=upplands trafiken to Uppsala. Different entry due to giant difference in fares.

Single tickets can be bought as a paper ticket, so no need to buy a plastic card.

Another option would be to do the short hop to Uppsala, which is a very pleasant city, before boarding the sleeper at 23.35 (which is 22.35 UK time, so about right for bedtime) - it does shorten the night a bit though.

Can't deny that, Uppsala is worth a visit.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Update - booked KLM into Gothenburg, and after some afternoon sightseeing I’ll catch SJ night train #92 all the way to Umeå (dep. 18:20 arr. 07:03).

Return is SAS to Arlanda, three hour connection then home with KLM.

Work have booked me a first class compartment on the train, #10 in carriage #27. Lounge access in Gothenburg, en-suite shower, and breakfast on board.

Does anyone have consists for this train?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

JonasB

Thank you! Sorry I don't know, as that changes according to demand. But the train will be made up of 1st class sleepers (WL4), 2nd class sleepers (WL6), couchettes (BC4) a couple of ordinary 2nd class coaches (BF4, B2 or B9) and a Bistro/restaurant coach (R4, S12 or R12. Menu: https://www.sj.se/content/dam/SJ/pdf/Mat/Stolsmeny_nattag180706.pdf ). And everything will be hauled by a Rc6 loco. The trains can be long, up to 17 coaches when demand is high (which sometimes results in them being hauled by two locos), but also shorter in low season.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Thanks!

This could be an unsuccessful trip (work wise) so if nothing else I get to sample Swedish railways for the night :D

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Out of interest - is there a 'turn-down' service on these trains? I.e. if I board around 18:00 for an 18:20 departure, will I find the first class compartment configured with the sofa in place, or will the lower bed already be folded and made for sleeping?

jamesontheroad

Established Member
One final question - probably for JonasB again - do the first class compartments in a SJ WL4 sleeper have power plugs? I will need to do some work en route, so I hope I can keep the laptop plugged in. Thanks!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Out of interest - is there a 'turn-down' service on these trains? I.e. if I board around 18:00 for an 18:20 departure, will I find the first class compartment configured with the sofa in place, or will the lower bed already be folded and made for sleeping?

When I caught the SJ sleeper from Stockholm to Malmo it was configured into day mode even on departure at 2226. It was however fairly easy to fold it into a bed and set it up.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the tips and information, arrived in Umeå this morning from Gothenburg.

As discussed, I flew into Gothenburg with plenty of time to spare. Saw a bit of the city before returning to do some work in the SJ Lounge (one of only three in the country, apparently). There was a nice vegetarian pasta with peas and basil, and an even nicer apple and cinnamon tart.

Train 92 had 9 carriages from Gothenburg, and my cabin was in a WL4 car near the front, with an R12 bistro towards the middle of the consist. I had a couple of bottled beers here in the early evening while I worked; a very nice Swedish IPA from Brutal Brewing. Slept very well indeed - the ride quality of the carriages was superb. Woke in the early hours and just stared out of the window for a while. The weather has been relatively mild, it was not much below -5º during the night, but the pantograph on the locomotive just one car ahead of me was sparking on the icy catenary and illuminating the forests with rather ethereal blue flashes.

Got to the bistro just before the doors at either end were unlocked at 06:30. On boarding in Gothenburg, it had been announced that it would be closing around 23:30, and the same attendant from Gothenburg was on duty to serve breakfast, so I presume that was to give him a sufficient overnight break and to stop people congregating there. The SEK69 breakfast box and tea/coffee are free for first-class passengers; the box had a slice of rye bread, some cheese, salami, apple juice, yoghurt and muesli in it. Just enough time to eat it and return to get my bags before we arrived on time at Umeå Central.

Have to fly back to make it in time, so heading to ARN on SAS tomorrow then homewards with KLM. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, feel really privileged to have ridden one of SJ's night trains, and to have now travelled further north than I've ever been before... standing on the platform at Umeå C I was approximately 63°49′50″N... and the train still had five more hours to go to Luleå!

Status
Not open for further replies.