• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govenment Briefing 23rd May - Reversing Beeching Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
But on what basis is it a "no brainer" ?

Hythe has 20,000 people - so it's not a large place. The line isn't electrified which makes it operationally more difficult in that neck of the woods and capacity through Southampton is already at a premium.

The "best" comparison I can think of is Felixstowe - similar size end of branch line, though don't forget Felixstowe's branch is viable due to the freight, not the passenger services. And that gets about 200,000 people through it a year, some of which are having a day trip to the seaside - which isn't going to be the case with Hythe and Fawley.

Hythe also presumes everyone wants to go to or via Southampton. A better (cheaper) way forward would be to improve the services at Beaulieu Road which is about 5 miles away and could offer direct services not just to Southampton but also London but Bournemouth and Weymouth as well.

But, The former Fawley Power Station site is also due for redevelopment into a rather large waterside housing development which will put further pressure on the existing local roads. There is also a busy ferry service operating daily taking commuters who don't drive across the water into Southampton as well from Hythe to the Red Funnel terminal in Southampton. While upgrading Beaulieu Road may help the residents of Lyndhurst, it will do little to relieve congestion along the A326 which is why there are calls to re-instate the railway. Equally, as any services to / from Hythe would pass through Totton anyway, it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience to change there if anyone from Hythe wishes to travel westwards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hythe also presumes everyone wants to go to or via Southampton. A better (cheaper) way forward would be to improve the services at Beaulieu Road which is about 5 miles away and could offer direct services not just to Southampton but also London but Bournemouth and Weymouth as well.
Beaulieu Road station is poorly located for anything other than a walk in the forest. How would you suggest people get there? If driving they might as well drive to Southampton which is where most people from the area need to be, and in any case a large car park added to the New Forest landscape would not be acceptable. Many would be within walking distance of Hythe, and other stations that might be added. If you need confirmation of potential demand, look at traffic flow on the A326 and the number of buses on the 8 and 9 routes to Southampton.

cle

Established Member
Why is it pathetic? The political context is that the Government have apparently decided they want to improve/expand the railway network, including re-opening old lines where appropriate - and they have provided funding to develop business cases in accordance with that. The branding they've stuck on the funding is 'reversing Beeching,' which is not strictly 100% accurate as a description because clearly the scope is not limited to the Beeching cuts. But given the historical context, that's perhaps an understandable mis-branding. I don't see anything pathetic about groups who want to improve the Abbey Line taking advantage of this funding, or the Government selecting for further investigation a line in a built up area that serves a lot of people and which could be significantly enhanced without having to add that much additional infrastructure. It all seems pretty sensible and potentially very good news to me.
I have no issues with any of the schemes, or with any groups who want to take advantage or whose purposes this initiative suits.

What is pathetic, my apologist friend (always one) - is that some politician will one day crow "Our party has reversed Beeching" because they upped a suburban branch shuttle to 2tph, or added an hourly frequency to an existing, lightly used 2 car line to a tiny town in rural Lancs. Neither of which relate to even a Beeching cut, irony being that they are extant - it's just general improvement.

But nothing net new - like Uckfield-Lewes, to give but one example. That would be a Beeching move. And so invoking Beeching for PR whilst doing some pretty light, local-level enhancements (which again, are all admirable or have merit in themselves) - is what is pathetic.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

But nothing net new - like Uckfield-Lewes, to give but one example. That would be a Beeching move.

Except, of course, Uckfield - Lewes wasn’t a Beeching closure.

And in any event, this is not a “Reversing Beeching” initiaitve. It is called “Restoring your railway”.

Yes, the early press notices mentioned reversing Beeching, which had the (no doubt intended) effect that much of the media has declared it as a “reversing Beeching” initiative. however this is much more about providing connectivity to communities where the benefit is greatest for the least cost, and not necessarily (or even at all) building new lines.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The railway that existed before Beeching was pretty far from optimal even for that time period, let alone the time period we now live in.

I myself have problems with the botched nature of the rationalisation, seemingly chosing sections of track more on what company previously owned them than actual utility, but some rationalisation was certainly required.

Just opening random lines that closed 50 years ago is fairly unlikely to be a reasonable way to restore rail services on routes that deserve them.

johnnychips

Established Member
Just opening random lines that closed 50 years ago is fairly unlikely to be a reasonable way to restore rail services on routes that deserve them.

They aren’t reopening random lines. They are providing money to look into the cases for reopening random lines. Good headlines for MPs jumping on the bandwagon. Actual lines reopening on that list - I would expect three if you are very lucky, as opposed to reopened stations.

willgreen

Isn't the point of the feasibility study in determining which routes deserve restored rail services?

YorksLad12

Established Member
The railway that existed before Beeching was pretty far from optimal even for that time period, let alone the time period we now live in.
Quite.

A few years ago, I was bored and pulled together a list of all the railway stations that had been opened in historic Yorkshire, then plotted them on a Google Map. Don't ask. Anyway: I worked out that way more stations had been closed by British Railways between 1948 and 1963 (245) than by Ernest Marples and his successors from 1964 onwards (135).

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Isn't the point of the feasibility study in determining which routes deserve restored rail services?

The problem is that even this starting point distorts the results.

We shouldn't frame this as a problem to be solved, necessarily, by restoring rail services on old routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.