• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government announces independent review into HS2 programme

Status
Not open for further replies.

class26

I agree with you, we do not need HS2 London to Birmingham at all, it should be scrapped. But if something tangible is to come from the money already spent and the work already undertaken at the Euston, OOC and Curzon Street sites my post above suggests one.

So we do not need the extra capacity on the WCML ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

quantinghome

Established Member
Thank you for your time and trouble. Kilsby tunnel about 2.2 km and three times over budget, HS2 tunnel through the Chilterns 15.8 km, and given the confidence I have in HS2 I guess it too will be three times over budget. HS2 is not good value for taxpayers money.
Thank you for sharing your opinion. If you would like anyone else to pay any attention to it you might want to add some reasoned argument.

anme

Established Member
Potential for conflicts of interest galore. Already there are questions over HS2's handling of land and property settlements and reports of the SFO investigating.

What do you suggest is done differently? It would be incredibly stupid and wasteful for taxpayers if HS2 leaves properties it has to buy anyway lie empty.

Yossarian22

In 100 years time it is likely we will have far more serious problems to deal with, as that is about the timescale that the worst effects of climate change and consequences will be real and blatant. Don't assume that growth is going to carry on indefinitely, just because it has for the last couple of centuries.

This is quite a bit of a side note but even if we have relatively limited population growth there is a growing amount of evidence that to be greener a large population needs to densify. While greenhouse emissions are obviously higher from cities the emissions per person are actually significantly lower (public transport use, more walking/cycling, shared housing and heating, etc). This argument can be used though for a variety of rail projects, however, not just HS2

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Don't want to get political but unavoidable really. Now that Parliament has been suspended or whatever, will/how will this affect the timing of HS2 review and discussion by parliament - or can it continue with parliament suspended?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Don't want to get political but unavoidable really. Now that Parliament has been suspended or whatever, will/how will this affect the timing of HS2 review and discussion by parliament - or can it continue with parliament suspended?
As it's an independent review, I expect it'll continue. The terms of reference don't mention any need to make any interim reports, and the Department of Transport (and the rest of the civil service) will continue to function in the absence of a sitting Parliament.

The review couldn't be presented to Parliament while it's prorogued, but the report is to be presented to the Secretary of State for Transport (with a summary for the PM), so again there's no reason for delay there.

matacaster

On Moderation

I doubt Parliament not sitting will make one jot of difference in the short term. When Parliament is not sitting (ie like it hasn't for a few weeks), the executive just makes any necessary day to day decisions. Its really only when a new bill needs to be introduced or approved that Parliament gets involved. Sadly it would seem that we have a woeful, overly numerous bunch of MP's and Lords (of all parties) who can't agree on anything and pursue their own interests rather than their constituents. Particularly sad since absolutely no common sense or other qualities required to be an MP and most get elected to the gravy train whatever they do.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

I don't think Parliament is important in this context, until another HS2 Bill reaches them for consideration.
They have already voted for Phase 1, and the Phase 2a bill will be next year sometime (if it survives the review).
The DfT is still at work (if it can spare time from Brexit issues), and select committees will still sit, take evidence and issue reports, I think.
I shouldn't think the West Coast award will be affected (it's just about time to sign the contract with First, assuming no legal challenge).
Williams can continue - parliament will be important only when Grant Shapps makes his proposals public next year sometime, and needs a new Railways Bill enacted.
Modern Railways (Sept) was musing that something non-revolutionary could probably be implemented without primary legislation anyway.
An election in the autumn would set the cat among the pigeons though (if Boris lost, that is).
One problem the railway has is that is cannot possibly change things as fast as the politicians are moving at the moment.
Looks like a series of mini-budgets is on the way.

matacaster

On Moderation
Sorry for my ignorance here, but I understand MK to Euston is only about 50 miles @ around 30-40 minutes?

-are the commuter trains from Milton Keynes 3+2 seating and if not why not?
-if much VT capacity is taken up by MK commuters which would otherwise be unused, then why not reconfigure some carriages as 3+2 seating and having tickets specifically for that part of the train -you could call it 'Third Class' or 'Northern Class'- (only joking)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry for my ignorance here, but I understand MK to Euston is only about 50 miles @ around 30-40 minutes?

Correct.

-are the commuter trains from Milton Keynes 3+2 seating and if not why not?

Mostly yes.

-if much VT capacity is taken up by MK commuters which would otherwise be unused, then why not reconfigure some carriages as 3+2 seating and having tickets specifically for that part of the train -you could call it 'Third Class' or 'Northern Class'- (only joking)

VT only call a few trains at MKC during commuter times, and they are ones that are fairly quiet due to the outrageous Anytime fares. There are none northbound in the peak at all.

I suppose that is good news. I want the review done and the damned thing built.

The review is will consider the impact of Phase 1 and what impact not proceeding will have on capacity of the Southern WCML. I expect that it will state that not consequence of not proceeding with Phase 1 and 2a would be overcrowding on the Southern WCML in the not too distant future.

I don't think Parliament is important in this context, until another HS2 Bill reaches them for consideration.
They have already voted for Phase 1, and the Phase 2a bill will be next year sometime (if it survives the review).
The DfT is still at work (if it can spare time from Brexit issues), and select committees will still sit, take evidence and issue reports, I think.
I shouldn't think the West Coast award will be affected (it's just about time to sign the contract with First, assuming no legal challenge).
Williams can continue - parliament will be important only when Grant Shapps makes his proposals public next year sometime, and needs a new Railways Bill enacted.
Modern Railways (Sept) was musing that something non-revolutionary could probably be implemented without primary legislation anyway.
An election in the autumn would set the cat among the pigeons though (if Boris lost, that is).
One problem the railway has is that is cannot possibly change things as fast as the politicians are moving at the moment.
Looks like a series of mini-budgets is on the way.

Assuming an Autumn election then who knows what the outcome will be. If the Tories is reelected then the review will report its recommendations and the government will decide. If Labour win or become the largest party in a coalition with the Lib Dem's or SNP then they will proceed with HS2 anyway.

I thought the phase 2a bill was in the Lords now?

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member

I don't think it will make any difference. The report is for government, not parliament and that continues even during prorogation.

6Gman

Established Member
And I'll reply with the same link as I provided in response to your previous request

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lion-renting-homes-near-new-railway-line.html

I can't really see any problem with what they're doing.

They know they need to acquire property along the route. They do so. They then have three options:

A. Demolish the properties, even though it may several years before they actually need to start work;
B. Leave the properties empty;
C. Rent them on fixed-term tenancies until they're needed.

No doubt the Daily Mail would be criticising them if they'd chosen A or B ...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We've had plenty of time to discuss initial reactions to the Government decision to review HS2. Now that we've moved onto more general HS2 topics that are already covered in existing threads it's probably time for this thread to be locked until there is some actual news from the review rather than general HS2 chat that would sit in thoe existing threads.

Please report this post once there's an actual update on the review itself otherwise please feel free to continue the discourse on a relevant existing thread (and if one doesn't exist start one! We have no limit on the number of threads that was can have on the Forum no need to cram everything into one thread!).

Status
Not open for further replies.