• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government to make bus firms publish open data

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes, it seems very good indeed. Up there with TfL. Sadly Arriva run very few services near me.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The Intalink app is buggy, and you can add favourites but sometimes launching the app has the icon missing. Not sure how/why?

And I lost all my prepaid tickets thanks to a software update. The app decided it was a new install and wouldn't restore my purchases. Makes you wonder why it even has a login as you can't actually logout and login on another phone and retain unused tickets.

HCC has admitted there are problems with real time info and are working on it. The last 'working on it' response was a few weeks ago. Before that, I saw a couple of months.

I suspect there's no rush. Chances are there's one person who has the job of maintaining things and is off sick, holiday or maybe even left and they're seeking a replacement!
Another alternative is that they cut the post in the name of cost saving. I understand the need to save money but sometimes councils do it for the wrong roles!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
I completely agree with this move. Getting fares information, especially outside PTE areas, can be an absolute nightmare. I recently asked an independent operator by email for fare information on a commercial service, and they never responded. When I rang up, the person didn't know as they only dealt with the coach hire side of the business. They promised to get back to me but never did.

It really shouldn't be that complicated.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I can't get fares for local services. Only certain routes that have flat fares, and prices for the day rovers they want you to buy.

It's impossible to get a price for Uno on a route that operates fare stages. In fact, it's not even really easy (AFAIK) to see where the fare stages are.

I was lucky to learn that walking one bus stop on moved me to a new stage, which I found by chance (I was so early I decided to walk a bit) and it represents quite a saving!

WatcherZero

Established Member
The details dont specify real time data, just schedule data. There are already data streams that provide real time information where it's available anyway.

http://nextbuses.mobi/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Some of the people who serve drinks in the houses of parliment, and those who clean it, have to use buses and MPs didnt want them to have to suffer years and years of randomly changing schedules and operators.

The accompanying bill explanation document says it includes real time information too.

The more interesting thing is performance and financial data has to be shared with the local authority and competitors when the contract is renewed or a company intends to cancel a route. So a competitor will know exactly how many passengers at what times of day and how much revenue they generated.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Does it seem strange to anyone else that it was a Conservative government who introduced the requirement when it would have been the norm for a Labour government to make operators publish such information.

The lack of action in local transport was probably the biggest disappointment of the Labour years. Yes, we've had huge budget cuts under the Conservatives but we might actually get some decent policy from them, although the net effect remains to be seen. I say this as someone who has never voted Conservatives in 20+ years of voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.