• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govia get Thameslink Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport

Three new state-of-the-art electric train fleets will mean more services and seats, faster journeys and better connections across many of the busiest rail routes in London and the south east after the government announced today (23 May 2014) its intention to award the new Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern (TSGN) franchise to Govia Thameslink Railway Limited.

The 7 year franchise – the largest ever let in terms of passenger numbers – will help deliver the government’s multi-billion pound investment in the region’s rail network, opening up new routes across London and improving services to scores of destinations, including:

Brighton
King’s Lynn
Peterborough
Cambridge
Bedford
Luton
Gatwick Airports
Moorgate
Nearly 1,400 new electric carriages will be rolled out across the new franchise, providing 50% more capacity and 10,000 extra seats every weekday into central London during the morning peak by the end of 2018, and delivering quicker, cleaner and more reliable journeys for passengers and businesses.

In addition, the new franchise will see millions invested in improving stations and staffing, a simplified ticketing structure and tough new targets for Govia to improve punctuality by reducing delays by around a fifth and improve cleanliness.

Rail Minister Stephen Hammond said:

A world class railway is a vital part of our long-term economic plan. New state-of-the-art trains, more seats, better connections and improved stations will transform travel across London and the south east. That’s great news for businesses and the hundreds of thousands of passengers who use these vital services every day.

The TSGN franchise will play a crucial role in delivering the government’s £6.5 billion Thameslink programme – a major programme of infrastructure work that is helping create 8,000 jobs and will allow 24 trains per hour to travel in each direction from Blackfriars to St Pancras. New tunnels will link Peterborough and Cambridge to the existing Thameslink route providing easy access across London via St Pancras to Gatwick and Brighton.

The franchise will introduce 1,140 new carriages – already under construction - on the Thameslink network, improving services to scores of destinations, including the introduction of new cross capital services and a connection at Farringdon to London’s newest railway - Crossrail.

In addition, Govia will order a new fleet of 108 carriages for the Gatwick Express service, replacing the current 25-year-old trains with a fleet better suited to the needs of airport passengers. It will also secure 150 new carriages to replace the 40-year-old trains currently operating on the route between Moorgate, north London and Hertfordshire.

That means the total number of carriages in service will grow to 2,631 by 2019 – an increase of 27%. It will also release some existing electric carriages to be used elsewhere in the country.

Govia will invest significantly in improving stations, including free wi-fi at more than 100 stations, better retail and catering facilities and improvements to customer information systems. Staffing hours will also be extended so that at more than 100 of the largest stations there will be staff available from the first train in the morning to the last train at night.

Demanding contractual obligations on the operator will deliver cleaner and more spacious trains and improve passenger satisfaction. Tough new benchmarks for performance, train and station cleanliness and customer service information have also been agreed.

The operator will also develop website, smartphone and tablet apps that will make door-to-door travel easier for customers, including planning journeys, buying tickets and booking onward taxis.

The TSGN franchise will replace the existing Thameslink and Great Northern franchise (operated as First Capital Connect) from 14 September 2014 and will include the South Central franchise (operated as Southern and Gatwick Express) when it expires on 26 July 2015. A small number of services and stations will also transfer from the South Eastern franchise by 21 December 2014. The current franchises provide around 273 million passenger journeys annually.

Following the announcement, and in accordance with usual procurement practice, there will be a standstill period of 10 days before the department will be a position to enter into, and complete, the formal contractual documentation and make the award to the successful tenderer.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The branding would seem to be simply "Thameslink" if the image on the DfT announcement is to be believed, and mainly in white.

FirstGroup's first loss of a franchise since Great Eastern in 2004.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The branding would seem to be simply "Thameslink" if the image on the DfT announcement is to be believed, and mainly in white.

FirstGroup's first loss of a franchise since Great Eastern in 2004.

I wondered how long questions on colours would take. There's lots more to come on this I believe.

RichardN

This is good news for Southern passengers, otherwise we'd have 2 years of service without investment.

al.currie93

Not too bothered about that, Govia have done me fine through Southern :) I can imagine most of South Central staying the same, the obvious changes to Thameslink, and the 442s understanday going (probably to scrap sadly, as I can't see anywhere else for them) for a Desiro derivative or an Aventra (but I could be surprised!), and the TSGN livery on one of the 365s being applied en-masse (but again, I could be surprised!) . So maybe I'll get my new 455s through Ockley :P

RichardN

There is a map referenced in the press release. No idea if it is new based on the franchise, though.

cjohnson

The map suggests:
Cambridge-Brighton
Cambridge-Tattenham Corner
Peterborough-Horsham
Caterham-Welwyn

And the Bedford/Luton/Brighton/Sutton services as now.

Class377/5

Established Member
There is some detail on DfT website -

• Tattenham Corner - Cambridge May 2018
  • Redhill, Mersham, Coulsdon South, Purley to Bedford off peak service
  • Caterham - WGC Dec 2018
  • Brighton 8tph to London in 2015, 2 Express, 2 Gatwick Express, 2 TL Bedford, 2 TL London Bridge
  • New Gatwick Express new trains by end of 2015
  • Brighton - Cambridge 2018
  • Horsham - Peterborough 2018
  • Littlehampton TL peak service 4 AM, 5PM
  • 313 replacement by 2018

Southern, Gatwick Express branding are staying and Thameslink brand is to return. No word on GN branding yet.

Last edited:

Minstral25

Established Member
I hope this is Good news for our local trains.

Congratulations to Govia!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is some detail on DfT website -

• Tattenham Corner - Cambridge May 2018
  • Redhill, Mersham, Coulsdon South, Purley to Bedford off peak service
  • Caterham - WGC Dec 2018
  • Brighton 8tph to London in 2015, 2 Express, 2 Gatwick Express, 2 TL Bedford, 2 TL London Bridge
  • New Gatwick Express new trains by end of 2015
  • Brighton - Cambridge 2018
  • Horsham - Peterborough 2018
  • Littlehampton TL peak service 4 AM, 5PM
  • 313 replacement by 2018

Southern, Gatwick Express branding are staying and Thameslink brand is to return. No word on GN branding yet.

Can you provide a link please as I can't seem to access that detail - No need I've found it on the Map

Last edited:

Minstral25

Established Member
Not too bothered about that, Govia have done me fine through Southern :) I can imagine most of South Central staying the same, the obvious changes to Thameslink, and the 442s understanday going (probably to scrap sadly, as I can't see anywhere else for them) for a Desiro derivative or an Aventra (but I could be surprised!), and the TSGN livery on one of the 365s being applied en-masse (but again, I could be surprised!) . So maybe I'll get my new 455s through Ockley :P

I agree - already noted we get off-peak Thameslink services at Redhill from next timetable change although bit worried what that will do to 4x per hour London Bridge services which are very popular with Redhill travelers.

MK Tom

Established Member
I'm curious how GoVia winning this will affect things for First. They've lost FCC and not gained anything.

dysonsphere

well lots of new trains promised but when I guess the lead time from now to delivery is going to be at least 3 years.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Congratulations Govia, Southern have always been very pleasant to travel with, so here's hoping they'll be able to spread that to their two additional "sectors" now.

Brighton 8tph to London in 2015, 2 Express, 2 Gatwick Express, 2 TL Bedford, 2 TL London Bridge
Two 442s to BTN an hour? Where's my smelling salts...

fusionblue

So the Sevenoaks/Ashford Thameslink routes are jointly ran by FCC/SE (SE being Govia) now, only for them to be transferred in December 2014 to the TSGN franchise which has been won by Govia.

Ironic?

talldave

Established Member
Congratulations Govia, Southern have always been very pleasant to travel with, so here's hoping they'll be able to spread that to their two additional "sectors" now.

Maybe the plan is to use seawater to put the fires out?

Seriously though the new rolling stock for Gatwick Express can't come soon enough. The existing trains are an embarrassment on a premium airport service.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Maybe the plan is to use seawater to put the fires out?

Seriously though the new rolling stock for Gatwick Express can't come soon enough. The existing trains are an embarrassment on a premium airport service.
I agree with that. Although I absolutely adore the 442s, they are totally unsuitable for their current role.

I do wonder whether the replacement units will have enough luggage capacity... sadly, I doubt they'll be anywhere as interesting or comfortable as the 460s were, but still excellent nonetheless.

lincolnshire

So have all the sign manufactureing companies and train vinyl companies at the ready then to tender for the job of re-signing the new Govia franchise then?

More money for all sorts of things that people don,t think about under the franchise scheme as against the days of B.R.

Legal fees for contracts, insurance for trains, buildings etc, advertiseing materials & rebranding, headed note papaer, uniforms for staff, office accomadation, and the list goes on. None of these was required by a Nationalised Railway so no wonder train fares are expensive here.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Ah, who said anything about 442s?

Stats

Go-Ahead statement and presentation, including financials
http://www.go-ahead.com/ir/result_centre/2014result.aspx

• New Gatwick Express fleet
– 108 new Gatwick Express carriages (27 four-car units)
– Capital cost c.£162m
– Delivered by 2016 •

New trains for Moorgate services
– 150 new metro carriages for Moorgate service (25 six-car units)
– Capital cost c.£225m
– Delivered in 2018

To deliver a new fleet of trains by 2016, surely they must have somebody already set up, or is there an existing order where they can exercise an option?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So have all the sign manufactureing companies and train vinyl companies at the ready then to tender for the job of re-signing the new Govia franchise then?
Only the Thameslink and GN parts. Southern and Gatwick Express branding remains.

neilm

I would assume bombardier class 379 unit similar to stan express as they say they are four car units?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
To deliver a new fleet of trains by 2016, surely they must have somebody already set up, or is there an existing order where they can exercise an option?

There's the major follow on option available with the 387s isn't there? I should imagine as 'Southern' are already well involved with DfT over that order it would be an obvious solution. But then, they are really just progressive improvements to Electrostar, so perhaps the option can also be converted into any current 377/? variant - or even Adventra...

Status
Not open for further replies.