• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gradient pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Anyone aware of any formula to change a standard 1 in x gradient into the BVE pitch system?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Yep:

Let x = the gradient of form "1 in x"
Let y = the BVE pitch value

y = x^-1 x 1000

Tom B

Established Member
If you want a program to do it, try:

http://brj.railuk.org/GRADCAL.ZIP

which I wrote a couple of years back in QBASIC (I think anyway - I also wrote such a program in Pascal, so I don't know which one ended up getting uploaded. But it does the job).

Nick

Shameless plug their Tom to your program, however I can make do with the formula and a calculator! ;)
Ta muchy for it!

taw valley

so if i made the alps with a 1-60 grad

at the end of the thing it would be 16.66667 ? and if its not then your things wrong :P although its probuly right

sorry just seeing if i understand it as well lol incase i ever download the game lol

Tom B

Established Member
taw valley said:
so if i made the alps with a 1-60 grad

at the end of the thing it would be 16.66667 ? and if its not then your things wrong :P although its probuly right

sorry just seeing if i understand it as well lol incase i ever download the game lol

Nope, it's actually 16.6 recuring, or 16.66667 to 7SF. Though 7SF is a bit much - I usually use 3SF for gradients (what does everyone else use?).

If you're a fan of deriving formulae...

Think of the statement "1 in 60" as a right angle triangle of base length 60 and height 1. Generalise for "1 in x" as being of base length x and height 1.

Since the gradient = change in y / change in x (couldn't find a delta symbol), the gradient would be 1 / x or x^-1 to make it look prettier.

Then you multiply by 1000 to give the BVE value (not entirely sure why, but it works). QED.

OK it's hardly proving FLT but there we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.