• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Graffiti on South West Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This morning the 7.36 Guildford to Waterloo had graffiti on the outside of it but wasn't cancelled.

I thought South West Trains cancelled services with graffiti on the outside as it encouraged others to do the same.

I even queried this with their Twitter team once when a service with graffiti on the inside ran. They said it only applied to trains with graffiti on the outside. Does this mean they have changed their policy with regards to outside graffiti or was this a one off exception?

Whilst I'd rather trains were not graffitied, I don't begrudge then running with it on in order to run a a service. Previously they have cancelled trains due to it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Perhaps they have to get it somewhere where they are in a position to take it out of service first, bit then will do at their earliest convenience.

CC 72100

Established Member
I imagine SWT have a document which sets out what can run in service with graffiti and where from (ie. A unit can enter service in certain condition from a stabling point but not if it has been overnight on depot)

There is probably also something written in there about how 'serious'/bad the graffiti attack is - ie. That trains are not to enter service if the graffiti contains foul language or something like that.

In this day and age, you can be your life that will be a laid down policy for it!

greaterwest

Established Member
Was this the train in question? (450 099)
It was running on the SWML about a week or two ago, so I would assume it's still running in its current state somewhere.

Cfv9bFLWEAAbM7z.jpg

Waheed_Arshad

Deepgreen

Established Member
It was running on the SWML about a week or two ago, so I would assume it's still running in its current state somewhere.

Cfv9bFLWEAAbM7z.jpg

Waheed_Arshad

That's the new livery on trial before being applied to the 707s!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Perhaps they have to get it somewhere where they are in a position to take it out of service first, bit then will do at their earliest convenience.

I imagine it must have entered service in its vandalised form, rather than being attacked in service.

Established Member
I had it on the 9th April in that state!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

infobleep

Veteran Member

Cfv9bFLWEAAbM7z.jpg

Waheed_Arshad
No it wasn't anything as posh as that, just a 455 train.

I was told previously that graffiti on the outside encouraged others. They didn't say trains were cancelled due to taste and decency though but may be that was the real reason.

At the time my argument in another occasion was that graffiti inside trains might also encourage people so surely if your canceling trains with it on the outside, the same should apply when it's inside.

Of course were the graffiti artist to be someone like Banksy, would that make a 455 unit more valuable for its featured art than the value of the carriage?

I'm not saying Banksy would actually do this.

JN114

Established Member
I think the general rule with graffiti on trains is that they run it in service to the closest place where it can be removed

However, if there was a fleet shortage- as there often is on SWT at the moment, it may - if the graffiti is non-offensive - be prudent to live with it until the unit's next exam or similar, when it is due to be out of service long enough for the tech team to work on it.

BestWestern

Established Member
However, if there was a fleet shortage- as there often is on SWT at the moment, it may - if the graffiti is non-offensive - be prudent to live with it until the unit's next exam or similar, when it is due to be out of service long enough for the tech team to work on it.

I have to say it's surprising to see a SWT unit remaining in service like that for an extended period of time. It's every yob's dream to see their 'work' touted around the network like that. Whilst a proper removal takes time and effort, I'd have thought covering it up temporarily whilst on depot one night would be better than nothing.

asylumxl

Established Member
On Thameslink it's not uncommon to see graffiti on trains, particularly if they were sat at Bellingham sidings or Ashford.

I think it's fair to say it's best to run a train in service with graffiti rather than cancel it. I'd imagine most customers who need the services in question will prefer it to no train at all.

infobleep

Veteran Member
On Thameslink it's not uncommon to see graffiti on trains, particularly if they were sat at Bellingham sidings or Ashford.

I think it's fair to say it's best to run a train in service with graffiti rather than cancel it. I'd imagine most customers who need the services in question will prefer it to no train at all.
That was my view when services got cancelled last year. I person don't care if it's rude or not. I'm bjg enough to ignore it. Clearly if it's abuse aimed at one person that would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.